There is a web-page with an old download, but the phone support would NOT disclose it.
- I found it by trying a few Google searches Slingbox.com - Support Downloads
- My complaint remains that SLING purposely chose to remove the old version without stating an alternative
Sadly this is something they have a habit of doing.
Essentially they make the plugin updates compulsory, for reasons I don't understand, and so you're at the mercy of whatever browsers and OSes they choose to support.
I can't think of anyone else who force upgrades in this manner - compare to things like Adobe flash, silver light, etc they all notify you of updates but leave it up to you.
I suspect that knowing everyone is on the same version helps them troubleshoot ie it's easier for them, but in typical modern Slingmedia style they couldn't care less about their customers.
I'm certain their behaviour will eventually bite them on the arse though.
The issue you are experiencing is expected behavior. The most up-to-date Slingbox software for Windows OS only supports Windows 7 or higher at this time. There are however, a few avenues you could look at to work around the issue:
- Download an older version of the desktop player for Windows that still supports legacy model Slingboxes from this link: Slingbox.com - Support Downloads
- Use the embedded SlingPlayer from this link: Slingbox Player
The only catch is that the older desktop player will not resolve your issue if you have an M1. The M1 model Slingbox is not supported on the older version of the desktop player.
Hope this was helpful!
THANK YOU !
- I had found the downloadable, but not:
It is sad that I could NOT initiate a chat, or that the technical support phone personnel did NOT simply tell me these
- I did NOT find it by querying your site
I am sorry that I started a VENTing rampage by several users who followed my lead
- I love my SlingBoxes and have helped install a dozen or so of them (I really promote them)
Ideally you can suggest a way to get immediate chat so the VENTing and RESULTing negative Marketting are avoided
Is this for real ?
- I am travelling, and will be for a month
- the new PLUG-INS effectively disabled all my browsers
- is there any work around ?
WHY would any sane organization disable me
- the old software worked
- I understand that they might not support it any more
- I was watching my SlingBoxes fine yesterday, now nothing works
- no warning, no communications, nothing, and of course support will NOT take a call
Not a great way to keep customers
- I have helped install a dozen or so SlingBoxes . . .
- but now I am expected to buy a new PC because the Newer OS's lack drivers for some XP & VISTA SUPPORTED older hardware, and no warning