0 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2015 2:06 PM by ppisciot RSS

How to tell if poor connection is on upload or download side?

ppisciot
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I have a Slingbox Pro HD at home with Optimum Online Ultra 50 (theoretically 50 mbps download and 25 mbps upload).  I have done a speedtest while at home and found that I am getting fairly close to these numbers most of the time (about 40/20).  At my remote location I have Time Warner Cable Turbo (advertised 20 mbps download and 2 mbps upload - Speedtest reports about 16/2).  When I try to watch remotely using either my Boxee Box, WD Play, Neo TV, or Slingcatcher, I get constant stopping or interruptions in service where I then have to rewind to get the missed frames, sometimes as short as 1 or 2 seconds or other times up to 15 to 20 seconds.  I usually have to set the picture quality down to Basic in order to get the least interruptions but can get HD quality at times (but hate to do it and get more interruptions).

I cannot figure out which end the problem is on.  Is there a way to test where the problem lies?  I can connect to my home router remotely through the Optimum website to check most basic functions (but don't have FULL control over the D-Link AC router).  I have also hooked the Slingbox to a WeMo so I can remotely reboot the Slingbox which sometimes seem to help (could be coincidental).  Unfortunately, I cannot reboot the router remotely which I don't know if it will help anyway.

It is very frustrating because I am away very often but am finding it increasingly more difficult to watch TV remotely.  Slingplayer on my desktop seems to work the best because I can build up a big cache by pausing the player while the remote DVR is still playing.  Unfortunately, logistically it is much easier to use one of my streaming players instead of running an HDMI cable to the TV and using the desktop to control the TV.  I keep buying more players hoping to find one that works the best.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.