1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 9, 2015 1:39 PM by retep RSS

when will bugs be fixed?

retep

I called Slingbox Tech support about three weeks back because a couple of keyboard shortcuts haven't worked properly since their last add-on update especially with Chrome and Firefox. For instance the up and down keys skip 2 channels instead of going to the next channel. Slingbox said they were aware of the problem but had no timeline on a fix. Also, they did not have a way to reinstall the previous software that worked! I "teach" Slingbox keyboard shortcuts to standard learning universal remote controls, so we can use "real" remote controls to change channels, check the program guide etc when we're watching TV in a motel room while on a holiday or vacation. All I have to do is plug in the IR keyboard receiver into my laptop and an HDMI cable to the TV and we control our TV/DVR viewing just like we do at home. What's the average "fix" time on a known bug before new Slingbox software is issued? The remote control works fine with the older non-browser SlingPlayer software that I prefer, but for some reason SlingPlayer sometimes doesn't seem to make it through a motel's firewall. On one of my laptops, IE doesn't do the "channel skip thing", but there are duplicate Slingbox and Internet Explorer shortcuts and IE always wins -- a lot of times I have to reboot the computer to get the keyboard to work correctly again.

• Re: when will bugs be fixed?
          retep

I found my own "fix" at least for controlling Dish Network receivers. Dish receivers use the up and down keys for going up or down one channel and also for going up and down one item in various menus. Using the up or down Slingbox keyboard shortcuts was causing channel skipping or item skipping when in a menu. I changed to using the Slingbox "-" and "="  keyboard shortcuts for both menu items and channel up/down instead and those keys do not cause the same skipping as the up and down keyboard shortcuts. However, I'm not sure this will work with other equipment that does not have duplicate purposes for channel up/down and the up and down buttons. I think the Slingbox customer service people should suggest this to Dish Customers instead of having customers wait for new software.  I'm happy as I will now be able to use my "real" remote controls when away from home again!

--------

I called Slingbox Tech support about three weeks back because a couple of keyboard shortcuts haven't worked properly since their last add-on update especially with Chrome and Firefox. For instance the up and down keys skip 2 channels instead of going to the next channel. Slingbox said they were aware of the problem but had no timeline on a fix. Also, they did not have a way to reinstall the previous software that worked! I "teach" Slingbox keyboard shortcuts to standard learning universal remote controls, so we can use "real" remote controls to change channels, check the program guide etc when we're watching TV in a motel room while on a holiday or vacation. All I have to do is plug in the IR keyboard receiver into my laptop and an HDMI cable to the TV and we control our TV/DVR viewing just like we do at home. What's the average "fix" time on a known bug before new Slingbox software is issued? The remote control works fine with the older non-browser SlingPlayer software that I prefer, but for some reason SlingPlayer sometimes doesn't seem to make it through a motel's firewall. On one of my laptops, IE doesn't do the "channel skip thing", but there are duplicate Slingbox and Internet Explorer shortcuts and IE always wins -- a lot of times I have to reboot the computer to get the keyboard to work correctly again.