12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2015 5:12 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Slingbox with Tivo HD, where is the Tivo button?

clh

Just set up a new Slingbox 500 with a Tivo HD.  The remote I am using is the Tivo Default address 1 remote because I have 2 Tivo HD units in my living room.  (The Tivo HD specific remote doesn't have an address 1, address 2 equivalent, it always controls both units.)

For now I'm just using the PC web based player through watch.slingbox.com.  Where is the Tivo button that I need to bring up the Tivo menu so that I can get into my recorded shows?!  I can't find it anywhere.  If I display the remote on screen the Tivo button is shown, but it's inactive.  I can't click on it with my mouse pointer.

Thank you.

• Re: Slingbox with Tivo HD, where is the Tivo button?
          alanrichey42 Master

You need to try some other Tivo remotes.   There are lots of different Tivo models out there and they use different codes for the Tivo button.  Try searching for your TV provider or model manufacturer rather than Tivo.

clh

Well, okay, that gets me part of the way there.  I went ahead and loaded the actual "Tivo HD" remote to match my brand and model (I have an actual direct from TiVo "TiVo HD" DVR).  The TiVo button works on that remote, EXCEPT, there is ONLY ONE "Tivo HD" remote.  There don't exist separate address 1, address 2, address 3, address 4 variations.  I have two separate TiVo HD units in the same room that are set on different addresses.  The single Tivo HD remote in Slingbox causes both of my units to respond at the same time.  I need address specific variants of the Tivo HD remote.  Actually what would be awesome is a working Slingbox TiVo Remote with a working selector switch to alternate the address specific variants.

alanrichey42 Master

I can probably build you Custom Remotes for the other addresses but you need to give me a better description of your box.  'Tivo HD ' just doesn't cut it.   I need a proper model number and a manufacturer if it isn't Tivo ?

clh

The model is TCD652160, and is specifically manufactured by TiVo.

I appreciate the offer, but in the end I think I'm going to have to make my own anyway.  My two Tivo units are hooked up through my AV receiver, so I will need to make a custom remote that will power on my AV receiver and select the proper input for each Tivo.  Then I'll figure out some way to actually be able to control both Tivos from the same remote separately.  I very rarely will be ever changing channels through the Slingbox, probably always watching recorded shows, so I'm thinking I'll reassign some of the number buttons as play controls for the 2nd Tivo.

I had already downloaded and glanced through your instructions (didn't realize it written by you until I just looked at them again ).  I do have a Philips Pronto Pro 7000 that my entire system is controlled by and I saw the comment in the instructions about using Pronto files, so I'm hoping I can make the .bin file pretty easily from my existing system.  Although I just looked and my save files are .pcf and I saw there's no way to decode those, and no way to convert .pcf to .ccf so I'll have to see what I can do.

It also still doesn't make any sense to me why the built-in Tivo "Default" remote doesn't have an active "Tivo" button.  It's not that it's there and just doesn't work with my units because of a code mismatch.  The "picture" of the button is there on the remote graphic, but it's not active at all.  When I hover the mouse over it, it doesn't do anything, I can't click on it at all with my mouse.  And all the other buttons on this Tivo "Default" remote work just fine on my unit.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, best of luck.   I can't help you with pronto files, I have no experience of them.   I build Custom Remotes by installing the device onto a Logitech Harmony Remote and use that to mimic the original remote.  Hence my need for the model number so I could do that.   My offer to produce the codes you need to put into Remotemaster still holds (The TiVo TCD-652160 is in the database)

And the Tivo button makes perfect sense.  Sling have screwed up   I have had to build quite a few Tivo remotes for users like yourself.

Cheers

Al

alanrichey42 Master

Actually it looks as though someone else had the same idea.   The database has a code for 'Tivo' and 'Tivo2' 

clh

Thanks for you suggestions.  I was able to track down an rmdu file with Tivo Series 3 codes that support various "unit" numbers that I think will work.  I'd like to confirm a few things based on what I read in your document and in various forum posts.

No custom skins anymore?  Or can you create a custom remote using the code of an existing remote (below 2000) and it will take on the skin of that remote?  Is there a way to find out the code of an existing remote to reuse for it's skin?  Slingbox does have a built-in Tivo Series 3 remote that I could reuse the skin for.

Can't ever overwrite a custom remote 4 digit code once it's programmed?  If that's true, I could always factory reset the Slingbox couldn't I?  It's not like there's a whole lot of config to these things that would make it a pain to reconfigure.

Now the main question.  Is it possible to mix device types and/or protocols in a single virtual slingbox remote?  I'm used to the Pronto and a learning remote that doesn't care what you learn on any given button.  I can mix codes from 100 different devices all on the same "device" in my Pronto remote.  It doesn't care.  But since I have to select a specific protocol in RemoteMaster, I'm not sure that's possible.  As I mentioned in a previous reply, my Tivos run through my AV receiver, so I need to be able to program in a power toggle and the specific input selects for each of my two Tivos from my AV receiver on the same virtual sling remote as my Tivo controls.

Since you offered on the Tivo but I don't think I'll need that, if mixing devices on one remote is possible, could you possibly send me the remote codes for my AV receiver to plug into RemoteMaster?  It's a Yamaha RX-V800.

Thanks!

alanrichey42 Master

>>No custom skins anymore?  Or can you create a custom remote using the code of an existing remote (below 2000) and it will take on the skin of that remote?  Is there a way to find out the code of an existing remote to reuse for it's skin?  Slingbox does have a built-in Tivo Series 3 remote that I could reuse the skin for.

You can still use Custom skins on the old Desktop Player, but that won't now work with the 500/350/M1.  But yes, for all Slingboxes, if you use the right code then it will take on that skin, although you have to find out which function has been mapped to which button and again you can only do that with the old Desktop player.  If you need to do that let me know and I'll explain,  In your case you need to know that the 'normal' buttons (Numbers, arrows, play/pause...) are mapped as you would expect, the 'non-standard' buttons are mapped as follows:

1.  The TIVO button is mapped to 68 (Custom 16)

2.  TV/Power is mapped to 69 (Custom 17)

3.  Zoom is mapped to 62 (Custom 10)

4.  Thumb Down is mapped to 63 (Custom 11)

5.  Thumb Up is mapped to 64 (Custom 12)

6.  Skip Back is mapped to 65 (Custom 13)

7.  Skip Forward is mapped to 66 (Custom 14)

8.  Clear is mapped to 67 (Custom 15)

9. Enter is mapped to 70 (Custom 18)

The way to find out the code is to install the device on your Slingbox.  Then go to C:\Users\<Your name>\AppData\Roaming\Sling Media\WebSlingPlayer\Remote  (you will need to check the 'Show Hidden Files' option'  and you will see this:

Image1.jpg

So in your case you need to use V1504.

Can't ever overwrite a custom remote 4 digit code once it's programmed?  If that's true, I could always factory reset the Slingbox couldn't I?  It's not like there's a whole lot of config to these things that would make it a pain to reconfigure.

That was a bug in the 500 firmware, it has now been fixed so don't worry about that.

Now the main question.  Is it possible to mix device types and/or protocols in a single virtual slingbox remote?  I'm used to the Pronto and a learning remote that doesn't care what you learn on any given button.

Afraid not.  The Pronto works by learning the whole IR stream and simply resending a copy when the button is pressed.  The Slingbox, and all JP1 remotes, use a different technique whereby they create the IR stream from the parameters (device, sub-device, OBC code) in the BIN file and then transmit it using the selected IR protocol.  So if you have 2 devices the only thing you can do is to configure an unused input (S-Video) with the second device and switch to that when you want to change anything on the second device (sight unseen of course, as you won;t have a video)

Since you offered on the Tivo but I don't think I'll need that, if mixing devices on one remote is possible, could you possibly send me the remote codes for my AV receiver to plug into RemoteMaster?  It's a Yamaha RX-V800.

RMDU file attached

Anything else ?

clh

Fantastic, thanks!!  Yeah, I never thought of using one of the other inputs for my AV receiver remote.  I guess I didn't realize each input had it's own separate remote.  That should work!  I don't even have the HDMI or composite inputs hooked up so I can certainly use either one for this.  Thanks for the Yamaha rmdu file!

Just curious, where does one even find the Desktop player?  I can't find it anywhere on their web site to download, which I guess makes sense if they don't really support it anymore.  But is it archived somewhere?

Side note, I don't have any files at all in my C:\Users\<Your name>\AppData\Roaming\Sling Media\WebSlingPlayer\Remote directory.  (I'm an IT guy so I know exactly what you're talking about with AppData\Roaming and do have show hidden files and directories enabled.)  I! have connected to watch.slingbox.com and done some stream testing several times, and displayed the remote.  Or do you have to be connected when looking in this directory maybe?  Right now I have it configured to use the Sling built-in "Tivo Series 3 (address 1)" remote.

After looking at the Yamaha rmdu file, unless I'm looking at incorrectly in Remote Master, unfortunately the proper functions didn't come through.  The only thing it contains are the basic number buttons, volume, mute, channel, and arrows.  There's no power and no input selects.  I have these codes in my Pronto, I just don't know how to move them over to Remote Master.  When I look at the hex code in my Pronto software, they are very big long hex codes.  At least now I know the protocol and such from the file you gave me, don't know how to translate the big long code from the Pronto into the code for Remote Master using the appropriate protocol.  I guess here's the detail.  The full code in my Pronto for the input select for my first Tivo is "900A 006D 0000 0001 7A85 C03F", and the code for the input select for my second Tivo is "900A 006D 0000 0001 7A85 54AB".  Unfortunately I don't have the codes for the Power handy because of how it's programmed into the Pronto differently than the input selects.  I'll have to go back and "learn" the power toggle code.

Thanks again!

alanrichey42 Master

>>>>Just curious, where does one even find the Desktop player?  I can't find it anywhere on their web site to download, which I guess makes sense if they don't really support it anymore.  But is it archived somewhere?

http://download.slingmedia.com/player/pc/SlingPlayer-2.0.4-Setup.exe

>>>>Side note, I don't have any files at all in my C:\Users\<Your name>\AppData\Roaming\Sling Media\WebSlingPlayer\Remote directory.  (I'm an IT guy so I know exactly what you're talking about with AppData\Roaming and do have show hidden files and directories enabled.)  I! have connected to watch.slingbox.com and done some stream testing several times, and displayed the remote.  Or do you have to be connected when looking in this directory maybe?

Can't explain that.  That;s where they are for me and a fair number of people I have had similar discussions with.    Do a search on your computer for *.SPR files and see what pops up.

clh

Been a while I know.  I've been out of it for a few months, traveling a bunch for work.  Thought I'd give an update on where I'm at with it.  I am happy to say I was able to use the SlingBox to watch some shows from my TiVo while I was traveling.

I found the Yamaha receiver codes I needed, I think on Remote Central, somebody posted an Excel spreadsheet with them.  That allowed me to create a custom remote which I assigned to the Composite input.  That worked like a charm.  I can power on and off my receiver and select the appropriate input to switch between the two different TiVo units.

Now I just need to be able to create a combined version of Tivo remote to be able to control 2 different addresses of Tivo on the same SlingBox remote which I'll have assigned to the Component input.  I think they all share the same main "device" info so I think it's possible.  I'll just use some of the number buttons for the 2nd device.  I'll figure that out.

The issue I have now, which has really been there since the beginning and just hoped it wasn't as severe as it is, is that the SlingBox passthrough for the component video signal to the TV and when there's a very bright picture, like with a lot of white, the TV picture goes whacky and unwatchable.  Not sure if it's weakening the signal somehow, or amplifying the signal and overpowering the TV's input.

alanrichey42 Master
                                                    Now I just need to be able to create a combined version of Tivo remote to be able to control 2 different addresses of Tivo on the same SlingBox remote which I'll have assigned to the Component input.  I think they all share the same main "device" info so I think it's possible.  I'll just use some of the number buttons for the 2nd device.  I'll figure that out.

Can't be done as far as I know.