6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2015 6:08 AM by susannoz RSS

Audio quit while traveling--how to get it back?

susannoz
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Slingbox 500 was working fine thru March 31st and when I re-connected the evening of the 1st of April there was no audio (video is fine) on both laptop and iPad.  I have been traveling and I can't get home to check the  Slingbox 500 physically.  Any suggestions on how to get audio back?  Both computer and iPad audio is working with other programs and radio normally.

• Re: Audio quit while traveling--how to get it back?
          susannoz

Update:  Returned home to find no audio on the main TV that the Slingbox is attached to.  Audio is fine on cable in another room. 

anthony.sling Apprentice

Hey Susan,

I would start with replacing the audio cables that are connected to the Slingbox. Second, make sure the audio on the cable box is all the way up. It that does not help, check out this article below:

Hope this helps!

Anthony

susannoz

I have isolated the problem to the Slingbox.  ALL of the devices have sound from other sources.  The interesting thing is that I do not have audio on my main TV that the Slingbox is connected between the cable box and the TV.  I did not have time to disconnect everything and start over when I was home for about 12 hrs, but I did do a factory reset on the box. Still no audio, but I do have component video on the laptop and iPad.  It’s HDMI video on the big TV.  I’m using an optical cable for sound from the cable box thru a stereo receiver but that has never stopped the TV from having it's own sound from the Slingbox.  It has nothing now.  I'll try changing the audio cables when I get back.  I checked the cable box in another room and it's functioning normally so I know Comcast signal is working properly. 

susannoz

Anthony,

I have pretty much isolated the problem to the Slingbox.  ALL of the devices have sound from other sources.  The interesting thing is that I now do not have audio on my main TV that the Slingbox is connected to--between the cable box and the TV.  I did not have time to disconnect everything and start over when I was home for about 12 hrs, but I did do a factory reset on the box. Still no audio, but I do have component video from Slingbox on the laptop and iPad.  It’s HDMI video on the big TV and Slingbox is configured to disable this as necessary for the devices.  I’m using an optical cable for sound from the cable box thru a Dolby capable stereo receiver but that has never stopped the TV from having its own sound from the Slingbox.  It has absolutely no audio now.  I'll try changing the audio cables when I get back.  I checked the cable box in another room and it's functioning normally so I know Comcast signal is making its way into the house.  If it hasn’t started working by the time I get back, I’ll disconnect Slingbox and connect the TV directly to the cable box to rule out a problem there.  If it passes, and a cable change doesn’t fix it, then we’ve got a bad Slingbox.

My last Solo lasted for 6 years with no issues and now another family member has it.  I thought I was improving the ability to get high quality video with the 500.  Never occurred to me that it would mysteriously stop all sound.  Have there been any updates that might cause this?  I do not use the “new” programming that has now appeared on my home TV.  I wish there was a way to turn it off.

BTW, the link you sent me to asks if I’ve ever had internet audio streaming.  Yes.  It was working properly then I closed the computer and checked out of the hotel.  Checked into another one and there was suddenly no sound.  Still have video that is beautiful.

Thanks for the response.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Susan C. Anderson

susannoz

Update.  Finally got time to disconnect Slingbox and troubleshoot.  Short version is I found that with a direct connection to Comcast cable box still no audio.  Spent some quality time with technician on the phone. Turns out he has had multiple calls for audio issues after a Comcast update last of March.  Pushed many buttons and made sure all was set properly.  Pressed the My DVR button after a complete reboot and update and sound came flooding back.  I've now reconnected Slingbox and it's working fine.  Interesting note:  All of the cable shows I recorded during the audio black out that I thought were lost actually DO have sound on playback.  Go figure. 

susannoz

Anthony, please remove the non-pertinent info from my email to you off the forum.  My name and contact info should never have been posted for all to see.  You can keep the basic technical issue stuff, but just like this email, it is private to you not for reposting on an open forum.

Thanks,

Susan Anderson