4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2015 2:10 PM by teacher24_70 RSS

Remote view at same time as DVR is recording ??

teacher24_70

I do not currently have a Slingbox, but I'm seriously considering purchasing one. I have a TV in my living room hooked to a DVR. But there is no cable outlet in the bedroom so I just watch content through an Apple TV.

I have a question about how the Slingbox works. I understand that I cannot watch something remotely, if someone else is watching a different channel locally. However, can I watch something remotely if my DVR is recording at the time? My DVR has two tuners, therefore it can record two programs at once. So if it's recording one program, can I remote view either the program currently being recorded, a past DVR recording or a different "live" channel? 

I would of course be able to do these things if I was sitting in front of the TV live, so I'm assuming that that translates to remote viewing also. But I'm uncertain and that may need to be taken into consideration when deciding whether a Slingbox would fit my needs.

• Re: Remote view at same time as DVR is recording ??
          DKNJ

DO NOT PURCHASE an M1 - If you have been following the content on this forum lately, you see that it is almost unwatchable now that they have the ads in place.  Performance is terrible and half of the screen is taken up by ads. 

teacher24_70

Is only the M1 showing ads?  I didn't realize that Slingbox was an ad-supported product.  I'll look into the ad situation.  

Regardless, does anyone know an answer to the original  question?  If a show is being recorded on the DVR, does it keep remote viewing from working?  Am I allowed to view either the currently recorded show live or another channel or previously recorded show?  Again, my DVR does have two tuners, so I can usually record two shows simultaneously--or record one and watch a separate one.  Michelle

To: teacher24_70 <teacher24_70@yahoo.com>

Sent: Friday, March 27, 2015 8:07 AM

Subject: Re:  - Remote view at same time as DVR is recording ??

reply from DKNJ in Slingbox M1 - View the full discussionDO NOT PURCHASE an M1 - If you have been following the content on this forum lately, you see that it is almost unwatchable now that they have the ads in place.  Performance is terrible and half of the screen is taken up by ads. 

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in Slingbox M1 by email or at Slingbox Answers Forum

Following Remote view at same time as DVR is recording ?? in these streams: Inbox

zhartpe

Think of the slingbox as a second TV that is mirrored. You can only watch what is showing on the TV or the TV can only watch what is showing on the sling box. You cannot watch another show or recorded show on the sling box while someone is watching something else on the main TV and vice versa. Other than that your DVR box will work exactly the same. You can still record a show while watching another show, the sling box is simply just mirroring what is shown on your TV.

For this very reason I have my sling box hooked up to a cable box that sits in a closet not hooked to a TV. That way I know that i'm not bothering anyone at home and I can watch whatever channel I want, when I want and most importantly where I want.

teacher24_70

I live by myself, so most of those situations won't be an issue with me.  I just wanted to make sure that if I was trying to "sling" and watch something remotely, that it wouldn't mess up something that was recording on the DVR.

Thanks for helping to clarify how it works.  Michelle

To: teacher24_70 <teacher24_70@yahoo.com>

Sent: Friday, March 27, 2015 2:00 PM

Subject: Re:  - Remote view at same time as DVR is recording ??

reply from zhartpe in Slingbox M1 - View the full discussionThink of the slingbox as a second TV that is mirrored. You can only watch what is showing on the TV or the TV can only watch what is showing on the sling box. You cannot watch another show or recorded show on the sling box while someone is watching something else on the main TV and vice versa. Other than that your DVR box will work exactly the same. You can still record a show while watching another show, the sling box is simply just mirroring what is shown on your TV.  For this very reason I have my sling box hooked up to a cable box that sits in a closet not hooked to a TV. That way I know that i'm not bothering anyone at home and I can watch whatever channel I want, when I want and most importantly where I want.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in Slingbox M1 by email or at Slingbox Answers Forum

Following Remote view at same time as DVR is recording ?? in these streams: Inbox