24 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2010 4:26 PM by Dana Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Slingbox Solo: Network Light Won't Light Up

Gillett

I have a Slingbox Solo, which is connected to my browser via SlingLinks.  This all used to work.  I noticed recently that Slingplayer didn't work, so I looked at the Slingbox and noticed that the network light was off.  I have tried unplugging the router and Slingbox from power.  I have tried resetting the Slingbox It won't reset.  Pressing and releasing quickly do nothing.  Holding it in for five seconds does nothing.  I have verified that the SlingLinks are working by plugging in a laptop and verifying that it can access the Internet.  Slingbox Setup Assistant does not see my Slingbox.  What else should I try?

I should also mention that the network light is actually very dimly lit, but I assume that is just bleed over from the power light.

Thank you.

• Re: Slingbox Solo: Network Light Won't Light Up
          eferz Expert

Gillett wrote:

I should also mention that the network light is actually very dimly lit, but I assume that is just bleed over from the power light.

That's typically indicative of a malfunctioning AC adapter.  But, just in case it isn't, try performing a factory reset as described in this article (http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-1000038).

AudioLad

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with a Slingbox Solo that's a few years old. I've just read this post and tried a different generic AC adapter and my Slingbox is now working perfectly.

I hope this helps anyone else with the same problem

Micke0 Newbie

Hej, had the same problem with my  "Solo"...nothing worked anymore!

Bought me today another power supply adaptor  (5V/4A) here in my town...

---> http://www.clasohlson.se/Product/Product.aspx?id=145963859

and  everything now works fine again!

It`s a shame that  only 1½ years old  equipment brakes (getting to hot?)

and "Sling" do not have any  supplyers to order from in the european market!

Thank You all for the hints to  change the a-c adaptor!!!

Greetings from a (to?) warm Sweden, Micke.

stevenphung

Hi Micke0:

I am living in Canada, I have the same problem (only power light on, network light off. I pressed and held the reset button more than a minute, but nothing responsed, no blinking light, no flashing of the "U' group lights) with my Slingbox Solo. I bought this solo box just 5 months ago.

You stated that you have solved this problem by buying a generic brand of (5V/4A) power adapter and the slingbox will work again. When I search on the website where you bought the power adapter

I could not find any 5V/4A adapter, I could only find this http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=136920470 which is only 5V/1A.

my questions are:

1. Will this 5V/1A works with my slingbox solo?, do I have to get the one with "4A"

2. I've tried to search for the "5V/4A" in that website, but unfortunately, could not find it. Is it possible if you can help me search for the one which you have bought and send me the link?

Please reponse me by email if possible at stevephung@hotmail.com

or do a collect call ( I will pay for the long distance call) at 778 238 3033 (Canada number)

I will be very appreciated for you helps

cheers

Steven

ACC290075 Newbie

I ordered my AC adapter from one of those electronic shops in Hong Kong.  They have every size imaginable for CHEAP. I bought 2 different ones to try.  One was 5, 3.5-4.5A and the other was something similar. Together they were less than $5 with shipping.  (All you get is the end the plugs in the wall.)  I wired mine up and checked them on a meter and they were right on the 5,4 that I needed. HOWEVER, NEITHER made my Slingbox work. ?????????????   It is my understanding after talking to dozens of people that the 4 amps is very important.  Would almost be better to have too many than too few.

ACC290075 Newbie

This sounds like I wrote it as it is EXACTLY like mine.  I couldn't tell if the network light was dim or just reflecting off the power light. I couldn't find any way to open the box to see. If it is the power supply like so many have said, and all these power supply units are going out this quick (mine is less than 2 years old and has not been used but a fraction of that time), I think it's obvious a batch of defective adapters was put out about that time.  Every complaint is from people that have had their Slings for 1 1/2 to 2 years.  With this said, I think Slingbox should replace the units, then seek reimbursement from their supplier. I tested mine on a meter and it was putting out exactly the right amount of voltage, but either the amperage was wrong or I didn't know how to test it, a real likelihood! I don't know enough about the power supply units to know what can go wrong inside a plastic box with no moving parts, but I can say this: a nice 1/2 million dollar house in my neighborhood was gutted by fire during the daytime hours with the cause of the fire being an adapter like these on a clock radio. Hence, there is great liability in having a faulty adapter that I think Slingbox would want to look into.  I was going to write directly to Slingbox, but I cannot find any method of doing so any longer. If anyone reading this knows a way, I think Slingbox would or at least should be interested and concerned over this problem.  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!  In this situation ounces and pounds translate into millions of dollars.

eferz Expert

Nice soapbox, but you might consider adding spaces.  A huge block of text is more digestable if it is spaced out.

ACC290075 wrote:

This sounds like I wrote it as it is EXACTLY like mine.  I couldn't tell if the network light was dim or just reflecting off the power light. I couldn't find any way to open the box to see.

If it is the power supply like so many have said, and all these power supply units are going out this quick (mine is less than 2 years old and has not been used but a fraction of that time), I think it's obvious a batch of defective adapters was put out about that time.  Every complaint is from people that have had their Slings for 1 1/2 to 2 years. 

I think Slingbox should replace the units, then seek reimbursement from their supplier. I tested mine on a meter and it was putting out exactly the right amount of voltage, but either the amperage was wrong or I didn't know how to test it, a real likelihood! I don't know enough about the power supply units to know what can go wrong inside a plastic box with no moving parts,

Anice 1/2 million dollar house in my neighborhood was gutted by fire during the daytime hours with the cause of the fire being an adapter like these on a clock radio. Hence, there is great liability in having a faulty adapter that I think Slingbox would want to look into.  I was going to write directly to Slingbox, but I cannot find any method of doing so any longer. If anyone reading this knows a way,

I think Slingbox would or at least should be interested and concerned over this problem.  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!  In this situation ounces and pounds translate into millions of dollars.

As far as I  know, until someone figures out how to replace a capacitor with a  digital circuit, an electronic device is eventually going to die.  If  you want to understand more about it why power supplies die then please read the following  article (http://www.smpstech.com/mtblog/electrolytic_capacitor_failure.html).

And as far as an address for Sling Media its as easy as scrolling down to the bottom of any page and clicking on "About Sling Media".

Micke0 Newbie

Today I opened up the original power supply...

broken capis2.JPG

....could it be the 2 bulping cylinders in front wich are "out of order"?

sweepea49

As another user with the same symptoms, I too have a failed psu. For the technically minded, the on-load voltage drops below 4.6V, and is noisy with a 500mV ripple. It is likely that internal regulation on the solo requires at least 4.75V to work properly. Measurements with a good bench psu on my Solo suggest an average running current of about 1 A with a small peak inrush . So for these devices a good replacement psu that can deliver a solid 1.5 to 2 A (ie without dipping below 4.75V) should suffice. As for quality, this is a cheap unit for the performance so unfortunately Sling went for a cheap psu to go with it. Most chinese/taiwanese  psus are similar (or worse) quality cos we won't pay for higher!

In the UK at the moment I suggest http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=32754 from maplin should do the job. The DC power connector needed is a standard 2.1mm low voltage which comes with the unit. Its a bit big but not switch mode so should be more reliable.

ACC800553

Yup, exact same problem happening with me. Going to bring it into my engineering lab and figure out what the problem is. Have had this player about 9 months...

ACC290075 Newbie

When testing with a new AC power supply with the 5/4, does the SB have to be hooked up to the Internet, etc inorder to see if the lights come on, or can you just use the box? Mine is so hard to get to it would be easier to take the box loose and remove it for testing.

stevenphung

hello there,

I have talked to the technical support rep and he and i spent like a hour to fix it but it did not work out. so he have decided to to give me a brand new box as a replacement, and I sent the old one back to him. That was simple and easy, maybe you could try this way. customers in canada have a year of warrranty I guess.

cheers.

Steven

Expert

Hey all - please check this out if you are still experiencing this issue:

Troubleshooting Slingbox SOLO streaming and network issues