15 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2015 1:28 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Custom On-Screen Remote Control for manufacturer HUAWEI IP Set-Top Box, model number: EC2108V5

camilogamboa Newbie

Hello All in the support Team!,

Is it possible to build a Custom Remote Control or recommend a matching device for this type of Huawei IP Set-Top Box?.

Manufacturer: Huawei

Model Number: EC2108V5

Type: IP Set-Top Box

I would like to start using this amazing my Slingbox-500 but the on-screen remote control required for my HUAWEI-IP Set-Top Box is not in the Slingbox setup list therefore until the moment I have not been able to complete the setup process.

I have already tried all the other on-screen control remote versions available on your list menu and also the ones that are posted on this site (associated with Huawei) but none of them worked.  Also, I tried the "other" option and provider on the Slingbox menu but no way either.

Attached you will find a picture of the real Remote Control that comes with the IP Set-Top Box.

Additionally, I found on the web a .PDF operation manual that explains each function of a remote control similar to the remote on the picture, just in case it might be useful in the programming process.

In summary, I would like to point that I have carried out all the checks recommended on the following guide https://community.sling.com/message/10363#10363

Please dear support team help all the customers to start using your product!

Thanks,

Camilo

Email: camilogamboa@hotmail.com

• Re: Custom On-Screen Remote Control for manufacturer HUAWEI IP Set-Top Box, model number: EC2108V5
          alanrichey42 Master

You will not get any help from the support team, they do not bother helping people with unsupported devices.    But as discussed, there is already a Custom Remote for this device at Huawei EC2108  I will wait for your report back when you try this again.  But make sure you read the instructions IN FULL !

• Re: Custom On-Screen Remote Control for manufacturer HUAWEI IP Set-Top Box, model number: EC2108V5
              camilogamboa Newbie

Great, thanks for the advise, I will read IN FULL the instructions and follow them step by step and I'll let you know the results after testing the files again. I hope that this will let me enjoy the Slingbox 500 finally.

Hello Alan,

I would like to tell you that I have tried all the bin files that I could find on the internet forums and web pages, I used not only the files related to Huawei EC2108V5 but also all the ones that had something to do with Huawei brand (new and old files), also I followed your instructions in detail and reviewed some other of your instructions that I found on past forums where you did participated but the best result that I obtained was to be able press a key of the on screen remote without response, most of the bin files allowed me to see the control on my screen but non of them helped to obtain a response from the set top box. As soon as I press any key in the on screen remote the video image coming from the set top box gets frozen for two seconds but there is no other response. Additionally, I tried the IR but no response from the system either.

Taking all of this into account what else do you suggest that I could try?.

Thanks a lot for your support.

alanrichey42 Master

If you followed the instructions then why haven't you reported back with the answers to the 10 questions I ask for people who are having trouble ?

camilogamboa Newbie

Yes, Alan you are totally right, am sorry, I forgot to attach them, please see below:

1.   What model Slingbox do you have? / A. I have a Slingbox 500

2.   Was there any error message after you typed in the Code and tapped the Test button? / A. There was no error message when or after typing the code.

3.   Did you give the commands plenty of time to react?  (I have a DVR that takes about 6-8 seconds to power up/down) / A. Yes, I did wait a few minutes after pressing the test icon, then I tested each control button.  After doing so, I went into "watch" and tested again each control button to find if maybe I could work but no result.

4.   If you are using a Solo did you try both BIN files? / A. I don't have a Solo just the new Slingbox 500 but what I can confirm is that I tried all the BIN files that I found.

5.   After completing the setup do any of the buttons work? / A. None of the buttons worked.  Important to mention that with most of the BIN files after pressing the test icon the control buttons switch to a brighter color and I can press them but it seems that the command does not work.

6.   If you are installing on a Solo or Pro-HD or older box that uses an external IR Blaster, have you used a Digital Camera or Mobile Phone Camera to confirm the IR Blaster is actually firing when you tap the Power button?  (Watch the tip of the IR Blaster through the viewfinder while you tap a button.  You should see a white (not red) flash.  Test it on a real remote so you know what you are looking for).  If you are using a 350/500 have you tried using the external blaster? / A. I don't have a Solo version, only the new Slingbox 500, but after many attempts and just in case I did also try to use the external IR blaster that comes in the box but no result.

7.   Have you experimented with the placement of the IR Blaster?  On some devices this is critical so don’t give up too quickly.  Try shining a flashlight at the front of the receiver and see if you can see the IR receiver behind the smoked glass / A. Yes, I did try the IR blaster with each of the files for second time but no result, I thought it was going to be the solution.

8.   Are you sure the device is working correctly using the real remote? / A. Yes, the device is working perfectly, we have tried by using the real remote.

9.   Are you sure your device is set to use IR ?  Many boxes can operate on RF or IR and if it is set to RF then the Slingbox will not affect it / A.Yes, I did try in the IR mode but no response from the STB when using it.

10.  If you have a device that supports multiple remote addresses (DirecTV, Dish Network, Tivo…) are you sure the remote address is set to the default ? / A. Yes, I am sure, it is set to the default address, it only uses one remote address.

11.   Have you tried resetting the Slingbox. ?  This has been found to help.  / A. Yes, many times I did try but no result.

12.  Do you have access to a Logitech Harmony Universal Remote?  If so let me know. / A. No, I don't have that type of remote sorry.

Yes, Alan you are totally right, am sorry, I forgot to attach them, please see below:

1. What model Slingbox do you have? / A. I have a Slingbox 500

2. Was there any error message after you typed in the Code and tapped the Test button? / A. There was no error message when or after typing the code.

3. Did you give the commands plenty of time to react? (I have a DVR that takes about 6-8 seconds to power up/down) / A. Yes, I did wait a few minutes after pressing the test icon, then I tested each control button. After doing so, I went into "watch" and tested again each control button to find if maybe I could work but no result.

4. If you are using a Solo did you try both BIN files? / A. I don't have a Solo just the new Slingbox 500 but what I can confirm is that I tried all the BIN files that I found.

5. After completing the setup do any of the buttons work? / A. None of the buttons worked. Important to mention that with most of the BIN files after pressing the test icon the control buttons switch to a brighter color and I can press them but it seems that the command does not work.

6. If you are installing on a Solo or Pro-HD or older box that uses an external IR Blaster, have you used a Digital Camera or Mobile Phone Camera to confirm the IR Blaster is actually firing when you tap the Power button? (Watch the tip of the IR Blaster through the viewfinder while you tap a button. You should see a white (not red) flash. Test it on a real remote so you know what you are looking for). If you are using a 350/500 have you tried using the external blaster? / A. I don't have a Solo version, only the new Slingbox 500, but after many attempts and just in case I did also try to use the external IR blaster that comes in the box but no result.

7. Have you experimented with the placement of the IR Blaster? On some devices this is critical so don’t give up too quickly. Try shining a flashlight at the front of the receiver and see if you can see the IR receiver behind the smoked glass / A. Yes, I did try the IR blaster with each of the files for second time but no result, I thought it was going to be the solution.

8. Are you sure the device is working correctly using the real remote? / A. Yes, the device is working perfectly, we have tried by using the real remote.

9. Are you sure your device is set to use IR ? Many boxes can operate on RF or IR and if it is set to RF then the Slingbox will not affect it / A.Yes, I did try in the IR mode but no response from the STB when using it.

10. If you have a device that supports multiple remote addresses (DirecTV, Dish Network, Tivo…) are you sure the remote address is set to the default ? / A. Yes, I am sure, it is set to the default address, it only uses one remote address.

11. Have you tried resetting the Slingbox. ? This has been found to help. / A. Yes, many times I did try but no result.

12. Do you have access to a Logitech Harmony Universal Remote? If so let me know. / A. No, I don't have that type of remote sorry.