5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2010 3:06 PM by eferz RSS

Choosing content to show via output of Slingbox Pro HD

mrebholz

Hi all,

I've just got a SLINGBOX PRO HD and am setting it up. One of the things I thought my slingbox could do, and to be honest I hope it can else I don't really see the point of it apart from being able to watch stuff my AT&T box has recorded in other places (e.g. via mobile phone) -- which I'm not even that bothered about, is -- the ability to grab stuff from my NAS (e.g. DivX) for my son to watch his kiddy programmes on the family TV.

Now of course the slingbox pro has video out so it can play out via the TV, right, but how - if at all(!) - can it grab data from a remote non-directly connected source. After all, if it can only play video from directly connected sources (e.g. set-top-box, dvr) those were already connected to the TV right next to it, so I'm no better off ...

Yours hopefully,

Mark

• Re: Choosing content to show via output of Slingbox Pro HD
          eferz Expert

The main point of the Slingboxes are place shifting.  That's to take audio and video signals and to transcode it live over the network.  The output connectors of the Slingbox pass through connectors.  This would enable the Slingbox to be connected in between devices.

I believe you would be more interested in a media extender aka media streamer aka digital media adapter.

mrebholz

OK, not exactly what I was hoping for then. So, you're saying it basically has no means of 'modulating' the current stream out of any of the output connectors at the rear ?

I can't help but feel that's a little bit of a waste somehow ...

thanks

Mark

eferz Expert

Yeah, I'd be pretty disappointed if I bought a screwdriver and expect it to function like a hammer too.

The main purpose of the Slingbox is transcode the baseband audio and video into multimedia stream that can be watched on a Slingplayer compatible device like a computer or mobile phone.  Most people who use the Slingbox tend to be far away from home for extended period of time,  They enjoy the luxury of being able to watch the same television content that they already pay for at home in a different location.

As far as modulation, no it doesn't do that either.  The outputs on the back of the Slingbox simply pass through the video signal from their respective input.  This allows the Slingbox to be placed in between a television and a digital video recorder or a satellite receiver.  Besides when referring to modulation that usually describes modulating a baseband signals into a radio frequency for a coax feed.

It sounds like you're looking for a signal convertor with switching capabilities.  This would probably require a more elaborate video distribution system.  Unfortuantely, the Slingbox was never meant to perform that fucntion.

mrebholz

.... Must fight ... need ... to be ... just as .. sarcastic in ... reponse ... Must ... stop.

(Phew)

OK, so now I now what this box is really capable of (and not capable, of course) I'll connect it up to an Asus O!Play box and have the best of both worlds. Which is of course what I thought it did in the first place, silly me !

I did use 'modulate' as an analogy, and clearly you understood me, so all good there then.

Next slingbox release request no. X:

Give the actual box itself some ability to PLAY the output it receives and transcodes

Allow the box to use PC/SMB/NAS type shares to take

(And yes, I know this is not what the box _does_ I'm merely suggesting that if it did the job of itself plus a media player let's face it, it would have the market pretty cornered, and er.. yes, that's what I erroneously thought it was capable of anyway)

thanks

eferz Expert

mrebholz wrote:

Next slingbox release request no. X:

Give the actual box itself some ability to PLAY the output it receives and transcodes

Allow the box to use PC/SMB/NAS type shares to take

(And yes, I know this is not what the box _does_ I'm merely suggesting that if it did the job of itself plus a media player let's face it, it would have the market pretty cornered, and er.. yes, that's what I erroneously thought it was capable of anyway)

Sling Media used to have a device that did that.  It was called the SlingCatcher.  It was an embedded Slingplayer box with media extender capabilities and a fancy television interface.  Unfortunatly, it became apparent that Sling did not have the development support to keep up with emerging technologies, so they discontinued it.

There is a company called Monsoon Multimedia that's coming out with a device called the Volcano (http://www.myhava.com/press_releases_monsoon_volcano.html).  Sounds like something you might be interested in when it is released.