5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 7:21 PM by mjohn1223 RSS

Watching one TV channel remotely and a Different channel at Home

Den

I understand there is a work around so one person can watch a Cable TV channel remotely on their iphone while another (at the same time) watches a different channel at home.  Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,

Den

• Re: Watching one TV channel remotely and a Different channel at Home
          eferz Expert

Yep, just don't connect the two to the same video outputs.  For example, if you connect coax cable from the wall into the ANT IN of the Slingbox Pro-HD then you could used the internal tuner to watch TV on the iPhone while your family watches TV from a seperate set-top box.  There are also receivers from DirecTV or Dish that have dual tuners connected to seperate outputs.  So, in that situation you could connect the TV to one output and the Slingbox to the other and you would have seperate viewing experiences.

songson72

I have a question I think I already know the answer to. I have a dual tuner DirecTv DVR and bought the Pro-HD, they are connected via the coax cable. I want to be able to watch something recorded on the DVR on my laptop while I'm deployed but don't want to interfere with what is being watched at home. From my understanding this will not be possible and I should save the $100 by taking this Slingbox back and getting the plain Slingbox. I understand the Pro-HD has an internal tuner but when I use the remote while viewing remotely it is still going to send the command to the box at home which will also affect the viewing at home. My DirecTv DVR only has one coax output and the RCA output sends the same signal out of the DVR as the coax does so even if I use a splitter I don't think I can do what I want to do. If I'm right then I would have to have a DVR/set top box with two seperate outputs. Opinions/advise anyone?

mjohn1223

Efers,

I'm considering getting a slingbox because my brother, a HUGE USC football fan, is living abroad, in Europe, and doesn't have access to watching the games. I've been reading the forums, etc., and it looks like your post tells me it is possible to have a remote user without interfering with the home user.  However, your post only mentions Direct or Dish.  I have Time-Warner's dual tuner DVR cable box.  But I don't know if it has dual output.  Do you know if TW's boxes have this capability?  Or do u know how I can find out?

Thanks.

mj

chakkarinen Apprentice

Most cable TV services (I have Comcast in northern California  -- go Stanford!) provide some stations in unencrypted mode through the wall outlet, without requiring a cable box connected between wall and TV to unencrypt the signals.   Typically, these "straight-from-the-wall" channels include the local affiliate stations of the major TV networks, plus some others (home shopping networks, etc).   If the USC cames are broadcast on one of these local network channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc) and not ESPN, PAC12SP, etc, then you could add a 2-way cable splitter (sold at Radio Shack, Fry's, Target, etc) between the wall outlet and the cable box.   Connect one cable from the splitter to your current cable box as you already do.   Connect a second cable from the splitter to the COAX-IN connector on the back of the Slingbox -- you don't need to connect a third cable to the COAX-OUT connector on the back of the Slingbox.   Then run the setup routine for the Slingbox to program the COAX input on the SB to search for channels on the cable-only connection.   It should find all of the channels that come in unencrypted on the wall outlet, and will provide a rudimentary "virtual" remote for changing channels on the SB (and not interferring at all with what your cable box is displaying on the actual TV), so your brother in Europe will be able to watch the game being received by the SB on his computer connected to the internet.   When you set up the SB in your home, you may want to set up a "guest" account for him, rather than give him access to your "administrator" account.  This will allow to watch the SB, but not alter your other setup parameters.

Note: you will need at least one megabit per second of UPLOAD speed from your home network to the internet through your ISP in order for him to watch the games without video stuttering or stalling.   Test the connection out yourself from a network outside your home (like a local McDonalds?) to insure it is working correctly before you turn your brother loose.

mjohn1223

Thanks!  So, this would be an alternative to relying on the Pro-HD's "internal tuner", which, I would think would get all local broadcast channels.  It would, then, just depend, on how generous Time Warner is: whether or not TWC allows unencrypted channels, i.e. ESPN.  Now, as I sit here and type this, I just saw an advert on TWC about the Pac 12 channel, which will have strategic Pac-12 games that are not on local broadcast, or cable channels.  I'm guessing that depending on the generosity of Time Warner might not be the best option.  But, it is what it is.  Again, thanks for your reply.