2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2010 12:00 PM by evperry RSS

NYC to SP via TWC Wideband, and Ajato cant reach max speed.

Funkalot

So this use to be a huge post, but in got lost in the previous  website. So here we go.

I have a Slingbox-Pro setup in New York City, and use a Slingcatcher,  and some times a computer to watch my TV here in Sao Paulo Brazil. I  have a 50 down, and 5 up via Time Warner Cable Wideband, and in Brazil I  have 8 down, and 1 up via Ajato.

Unfortunately I only get 1400 kbps or about 1.5 mb when I wach the  slingtcher or the computer. I have done speedtestes many times from both  sides, including those that allow you to do the test to specific citys.  I get max speed.

I have tested slingbox from both a RCN 2mb connection, which  I had at home, and different ISP's here in Brazil. I still only get max  1.5 mb.

I have had both a airport extreme at the slingbox location, and now  use the TWC router. Still only about 1.5mb. Setting the player mannualy  makes no difforence, and using the website dossent ether.

I have done all I can any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please any help would be appreciated, I have acces to both location.

• Re: NYC to SP via TWC Wideband, and Ajato cant reach max speed.
          eferz Expert

Funkalot wrote:

I have a Slingbox-Pro setup in New York City, and use a Slingcatcher,  and some times a computer to watch my TV here in Sao Paulo Brazil. I  have a 50 down, and 5 up via Time Warner Cable Wideband, and in Brazil I  have 8 down, and 1 up via Ajato.  I have done speedtestes many times from both  sides, including those that allow you to do the test to specific citys.  I get max speed.

I am guessing the speed tests that you performed was a point to point connection from NYC to GRU and GRU to NYC individually.  And NOT NYC to NYC or GRU to GRU since that wouldn't be able to test the latency or bandwidth between the two sites. As that assumed, 5 Mbps Upload speed in  NYC where you have the Slingbox Pro, and 8 Mbps download speed in GRU where you have the Sling Catcher and Slingplayer are the important numbers to us.  So, technically the common speed between those two numbers is 5Mbps or 5120Kbps.

Unfortunately I only get 1400 kbps or about 1.5 mb when I wach the  slingtcher or the computer.

I honestly don't see a problem with that.  First of all, the advertised speeds usually lists "burst" not sustained speed.  The other important information is the latency between to sites since that's taken account.  The Slingbox (server) and the Slingcatcher or Slingplayer (client) will always work together to give you the best possible picture with the least amount of bandwidth under your current conditions.

The Slingbox Pro is only capable of a maximum resolution of 640x480, you can verify the encoding stream statistics by pressing [Alt]+[Shift]+[i] on the Slingplayer Desktop while connected to your Slingbox.  You'll be able to see the numbers which the algorythm uses to determin the encoding parameters.  Something you may want to check in those statistics is the steam type should be "TCP" otherwise if its "SNATT" then you're bouncing a connection through Sling's servers.

The only thing that  I could recommend to use up more bandwidth is to get a Slingbox Pro-HD.  To stream in higher resolutions and while will use more bandwidth.

• Re: NYC to SP via TWC Wideband, and Ajato cant reach max speed.
            evperry

I am having an awful time setting up a port forward for the sling with my wideband.

Did you have any issues with this?