3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2010 4:55 PM by eferz RSS

Does SlingLink slow down transmision?

johnseeger

Hi,

My current Solo box is wired through a SlingLink and wondering if I should just hardwire a ethernet cable to my router for better streaming to Europe (from the US).

At home (US) my internet uplaod speed is 5.5Mbps and download 50Mbps (the best Cox has to offer).

At home (US) I can get only a Slingbox download stream of 2 - 2.5Mbps, which is a pretty good picture, but not close to my internet upload speed.

In Switzerland (where I work) I am only getting a Slingbox download stream of 6-9Kbps (internet download speed there is 5Mbps).

So, is loosing about half my upload speed at home and then loosing more than 5X in Europe typical? Or would it help going to a hardwire of an ethernet cable and get rid of the SlingLink help?

I'm thinking about purchasing a Slingbox HD Pro for next football season but feel with the current speed I have this will not help me...

Thanks,

John

• Re: Does SlingLink slow down transmision?
          eferz Expert

A direct hardware wiring will always give you the best results,  Although, any addional devices in between the Slinplayer and the Slingbox will add a bit of latency.  That's just the nature of things.

As for the Slingbox not using up all the bandwidth, that's what its supposed to do if the connection is not local.  It will try to achieve the a balance in picture quality with bandwidth usage.  You can push performance by manually adjusting the encoding properties in your Slingplayer Options dialog window.  However, remember you'll be limited by the lowest common denominator between every device between the Slingplayer and the Slingbox.

johnseeger

Thanks for your fast response eferz!

When you say "every device between the slingplayer and sling box" are you talking about the >5K miles of internet connection wires and couplers (which I have no control over) or something else?

I just did a speed test between Tucson, AZ and Zurich, Switzerland and was kind of surprised with the results (noticed this tip from another thread here). The downlaod speed from Zurich to Tucson was only 1.2Mbps, and my uplaod from Tucson to Zurich was 3.4Mbps. Kind of strange to me, but I still think that says I should be getting a slingbox speed from Tucson to Zurich of more than 3Mbps. But as you are explaining, there is more to the story about this (as in slingplayer optimization?).

So, I guess getting a slingbox pro HD is not really going to help me with picture quality even if I hard wire the sling box

Thanks again!

John

eferz Expert

johnseeger wrote:

When you say "every device between the slingplayer and sling box" are you talking about the >5K miles of internet connection wires and couplers (which I have no control over) or something else?

Yes, everything. All of it.

I just did a speed test between Tucson, AZ and Zurich, Switzerland and was kind of surprised with the results (noticed this tip from another thread here). The downlaod speed from Zurich to Tucson was only 1.2Mbps, and my uplaod from Tucson to Zurich was 3.4Mbps. Kind of strange to me, but I still think that says I should be getting a slingbox speed from Tucson to Zurich of more than 3Mbps.

That was probably one of my posts.  The idea was to replicate a test of the links between the source and destination.  When it comes to the Slingbox location its upload speed is important, the download speed is only important to the Slingplayer location.

But as you are explaining, there is more to the story about this (as in slingplayer optimization?).

Yes, that's the design of the Slingbox and Slingplayer.  The two work simulateously to attempt to give you the best possible picture with the least amount of bandwidth under your current conditions.

So, I guess getting a slingbox pro HD is not really going to help me with picture quality even if I hard wire the sling box

The Slingbox Pro-HD could do HD streaming with at little as a sustained bandwidth of 3 Mbps or higher