4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2015 1:19 PM by SOakj22KTl RSS

M1 cannot be located via wifi on setup

SOakj22KTl
    Visibility: Open to anyone

What now? Is there NO support for this product? There is so little advice for when your Slingbox m1 cannot be found on wifi setup. Can't even get to tv screen options. Having pushed the device reset to no avail, I'm stumped and there are no suggestions anywhere I can find. Router has been reset, home signal is great. I guess this thing goes back. Most disappointing gift purchase ever.

• Re: M1 cannot be located via wifi on setup
          Samantha.Sling Apprentice

Hello,

I would recommend making sure the Slingbox is plugged into the wall and not through a power strip; some power strips don't give the Slingbox enough power for it to actually broadcast the Wi-Fi signal. Also, what device are you setting this up on? If you are using a computer and that computer does not have access Wi-Fi, this will also prevent the setup  from connecting the two together.

I hope this helps and eases some of the frustration!

--Samantha

SOakj22KTl

Thanks for the reply.

At the moment the box is powered through a single heavy duty extension cord since to be near the Directv box it has to be on top of a high shelf. (One of the thick orange ones used for power equipment, with a single socket.)

My macbook has wifi, and the signal strength throughout the house is very strong. The Slingbox unit is perhaps ten-fifteen feet from the router, which is just on the other side of a wall in the next room. I've also tried setting up using my cell as a hotspot, as one consumer suggested. Still no luck. Says it can't find the Slingbox, so I can't go further.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Laurie Bryant

Samantha.Sling Apprentice

Hey Laurie,

What Operating System Version is your Mac on at the Moment? If it is on any older than 10.9.0, this may be why it isn't showing up on the network since the older versions are not supporter by the Slingbox itself. If this is the case, luckily, Apple can upgrade the OS for you, they'll just have you do a file backup to make sure nothing is lost in the update process.

Let me know if this is (or isn't) the case.

--Samantha

SOakj22KTl

Samantha,

Thank you. My OSX is 10.7.5 and I don't want the new one as it gets crummy reviews. I did borrow a PC for setup and it now works fine. So grateful...but is that tip anywhere on the website? Would've saved me 4 hours of fiddling. I had it packed up to return to the store. You've got to have more support online. Now that it works, it's a great product. Be a shame to lose customers and goodwill bc of poor documentation.

Thanks again,

Laurie Bryant

Sent from my iPhone