6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2015 6:48 PM by Maxcats RSS

New User - Questions

paulfreel

Hi,

I am a new comer to Slingbox and hope someone could advise me of the best set up.

I will be looking to stream my UK Sky TV and Freeview from my house in UK, to my 55in Samsung Smart TV in Spain. Would the best setup be:

Sling Pro HD to Google Chromecast? Or is there a better solution?

• Re: New User - Questions
          alanrichey42 Master

The Slingbox in the UK can really be any model as you are probably going to have to stream SD content from your Sky box as it is quite difficult to get an HD stream.   As for the Spanish TV, Chromecast is an option but if you search this forum you will that many of us (including me) suffer greatly from buffering.   Although Sling have not acknowledged it I can think we can be certain that with so many users reporting it there must be an underlying problem.   You can perhaps try an Apple TV or a Roku but they need an iOS device.   I now some users use a WDTV but I have no experience of them.   Personally I use Slingcatcher (just watched a recording of the Oz F1 Grand Prix on Sky, from the USA).   But that was discontinued years ago so the only place to get one is E-Bay and they are getting quite expensive.  They also work only with the older Slingbox models, not the new ones.

Sorry, lots of options there, haven't really given you an answer.

paulfreel

There,

Thanks for that detailed answer. I guess I will look at the WDTV, or the Roku and use my wifes Ipad.

Another question on a different subject... I am working in Canada and can buy products here much cheaper. Would it be fully compatible with UK freeview and sky?

Thanks.

alanrichey42 Master

If you buy a Pro-HD you will need to get the European version to access Freeview directly.  The US/Canadian one won't work.   No other Slingbox has a built-in tuner so to access Freeview with them you would need a cheap and cheerful Freeview receiver that has a composite output,    The Sky box will work on any Slingbox, you will just need a SCART > Composite adaptor.  (vGold Switchable Scart to 3 Phono & S-Video Adaptor: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics)

paulfreel

Hi,

Sorry to bother you again.

Would i be right in saying that the quality on a 55in TV would be better on the WD TV, as it is not cast from a smart phone or tablet?

New User - Questions

reply from alanrichey42 in General Slingbox PRO-HD Questions - View the full discussionIf you buy a Pro-HD you will need to get the European version to access Freeview directly.  The US/Canadian one won't work.   No other Slingbox has a built-in tuner so to access Freeview with them you would need a cheap and cheerful Freeview receiver that has a composite output,    The Sky box will work on any Slingbox, you will just need a SCART > Composite adaptor.  (vGold Switchable Scart to 3 Phono & S-Video Adaptor: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics)

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in General Slingbox PRO-HD Questions by email or at Slingbox Answers Forum

Following New User - Questions in these streams: Inbox

Maxcats Novice

WDTV. is your most stable option. The remote control function can be clumsy but the image is fantastic and the picture stable.

Chromecast is unreliable. I own and use both with Slingbox.

NOTE: The Slingbox M1 is not compatible with WDTV.