1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 13, 2015 4:29 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

I've connected my Slingbox 500 - Now what?  (aka totally frustrated)

ACC6348513
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I've received my Slingbox 500 today - followed the steps to connect it up - it updated the firmware and restarted.  Then I just run into road-blocks after road-blocks. 

* I do not use any Cable or Satellite.  So I have it connected between my Pioneer Blu-Ray Disc player and my TV via HDMI.  SlingBox does not recognize my Pioneed BDP-3130 player, so I just have it configured as Blu-Ray Player...  The remote doesn't flipping work for that player because none of the soft-buttons show up.

* I have created an account on the web ( https://accounts.sling.com/accounts/member/ ) and log in via SlingBox AND my PC.  I can see my SlingBox 500 in the SlingBox Directory.

* I know my SlingBox is connected to my Wifi because it downloaded the firmware, logs into my account and lets the website know it's there...

NOW WHAT????????

* I try to go to Gallery on the SlingBox.  I get the message "No programs found for select filter or time slot," and a very empty gallery.  It has been 6 hours since I connected the slingbox, hoping some update would trigger.

* I navigate the website on my PC.  I click the WATCH button next to my SlingBox 500 icon and am immediately redirected to slingbox.com  where it tries to get me to purchase a slingbox 500 or M1.  WHY????  I already freaking own one!

The only thing I can do with the SlingBox at this time is to turn it on, and watch it help heat my room up with additional power draw on my electric...

Now I see that in order to view anything, I need to purchase ANOTHER piece of software for $15 on my iPhone...  I am extremely gun shy spending any more money after having spent nearly $300 bucks for a oddly-shaped door ornament that is too light to be a door stop... 

Please help - what else am I missing?  I've searched this community for "No programs found for select filter or time slot" and got back "There were no results for your search."

I would like to:

* view a broadcast from Japan, let's say - or even a YouTube channel.  Neither are available to me.

• Re: I've connected my Slingbox 500 - Now what?  (aka totally frustrated)
          alanrichey42 Master

* I do not use any Cable or Satellite.  So I have it connected between my Pioneer Blu-Ray Disc player and my TV via HDMI.  SlingBox does not recognize my Pioneed BDP-3130 player, so I just have it configured as Blu-Ray Player...  The remote doesn't flipping work for that player because none of the soft-buttons show up.

Check out this thread:  https://community.sling.com/message/10363#10363

* I try to go to Gallery on the SlingBox.  I get the message "No programs found for select filter or time slot," and a very empty gallery.  It has been 6 hours since I connected the slingbox, hoping Te update would trigger.

The Gallery is designed for use with a TV source, not a DVD Player, so you will never get anything displayed.

I would like to

* view a broadcast from Japan, let's say - or even a YouTube channel.  Neither are available to me.

I may be misunderstanding you but I think you are missing the point of the Slingbox here.  It is designed to take the input source and 'sling' it over the Internet so you can watch it any where in the world.   In your case you have it setup so you can watch your DVD player from another location.  If you wanted to watch a broadcast from Japan you needed to have the Slingbox in Japan connected to a TV source.