1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 12, 2015 12:04 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

question about installation instructions

Odysseus42
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I am attempting to work through the installation of a Slingbox Solo on my TV system. Programming from Direct TV

I have worked my way through the installation past the rom update and found that HR24-200 was not a listed option. Went the manufacturer route and selected Samsung/HR (something, unfortunately did not make notes.)

It may be important to note that the computer screen does reflect what I am seeing on my TV. Or not!

I am presented with the correct remote for my HR24-200 receiver, and it requests that I test the remote. Which remote? The one on the screen or my physical remote? On the assumption that one's physical remote would not be affected by connecting a Solo, I assume that it is the on-screen remote. It would seem obvious to so state, but what do I know?

In any case the onscreen remote doesn't seem to have any effect on volume, channel selection, etc. I use RF remote for my Sat box, and I expect that I need to change it to IR, but the TV control is IR and the onscreen remote does not have any effect on the tv no matter what I press. So I expect that somehow, in spite of seeing the correct onscreen remote, that something is wrong. Any ideas?

BTW, from this URL:

https://community.sling.com/thread/3300

which by the way does not have a valid certificate (very worrying! What's that about?) I found, "Some of these also use RF for their systems so make sure you have IR selected for the output you are using." Could someone help me understand this sentence, i.e.,

"Some of these": What does "these" refer to?

"their systems": What does "their" refer to?

"make sure you have IR selected for the output you are using": Have no idea what this means. Output of what? Using where?

Apologies for my confusiion, but hopeful that someone can help me make sense of all the ambiguities and unclear references.

• Re: question about installation instructions
          alanrichey42 Master

In any case the onscreen remote doesn't seem to have any effect on volume, channel selection, etc. I use RF remote for my Sat box, and I expect that I need to change it to IR, but the TV control is IR and the onscreen remote does not have any effect on the tv no matter what I press. So I expect that somehow, in spite of seeing the correct onscreen remote, that something is wrong. Any ideas?

Yes, the TV itself has nothing to do with this.  Like in the real world, you are using the DirecTV remote to change channels so I am not sure why you would expect the TV to be affected.   BTW, all DirecTV models use the same IR codes so it doesn't really matter what remote you select.

Which by the way does not have a valid certificate (very worrying! What's that about?) I found, "Some of these also use RF for their systems so make sure you have IR selected for the output you are using." Could someone help me understand this sentence, i.e.,

"Some of these": What does "these" refer to?

"their systems": What does "their" refer to?

"make sure you have IR selected for the output you are using": Have no idea what this means. Output of what? Using where?

As I wrote that I best explain, although you seem to understand it already based on your early comment that "I use RF Remote for my Sat box".   Some manufacturers, including DirecTV allow you to use either RF or IR for your 'real' remote control to control your device.   The Slingbox transmits ONLY an IR signal so if you want to use it to control your DirecTV box you are going to have to switch your DirecTV box from RF control to IR control.