12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2010 10:44 AM by Paulclane RSS

After upgrading my internet connection the stream quality is even worse what do I do?

babasave

Hi all,

I've only just upgraded my internet connection to  VDLS that allows an upstream of up to 5000 kbit/s

But to my surprise the Kbps I get on the SlingPlayer - remotely is a mere 140 kbit/s  which is even worse than the previous bitrate -

Funny enough if I connect to my home network to say download a file from my NAS I get on average around 2500 kbit/s

As you can imagine the video experience sucks

I have tried playing with the encoding settings of the Player but that seems to make things worse rather than better.

Do you guys have any idea what I need to to to get this fixed?

Many Thanks in advance

~frank

• Re: After upgrading my internet connection the stream quality is even worse what do I do?
          eferz Expert

VDLS or VDSL?

I would tend to suspect someone is doing some bandwidth shaping.  Here's what I would recommend, open up the router/firewall rules and make sure it is forwarding both respective UDP and TCP ports to your to Slingbox's private IP address.  Most people tend to just enable it for TCP but forget about UDP.  If that doesn't improve it, then try assigning a different port number to the SLingbox and port fowarding rules.  Perhaps a more common port like 80 (HTTP) or 443 (HTTPS).

• Re: After upgrading my internet connection the stream quality is even worse what do I do?
              babasave

VDSL of course

I'll try to play around with these options - but how would you explain that if I download a file the bandwidth is as expected but only Slingbox seems to not use the available speed?

Plus is there a possibility to get slingplayer to connect via internet connection although I'm in my home network? Cause otherwise I always have to drive to work to test if the changed settings have any effect?

Many Thanks for you help - much appreciated - need to get this working as I'm German and off to USA for the next two weeks with the soccer WC in full swing....

~frank

babasave

and eferz,

another detail - when in my home network - the stream works perfectly on my MacBook Pro but the Windows Player dose only get to much lower bit-rates and has constant hickups.

The Windows laptop's hardware should not be a problem - less than 2 year old machine from dell with 4GB Ram running Win7

Maybe that can help you helping me

---- Meanwhile I've tried the suggestions u gave. restricted networkaccess by MAC addresss to exclude issues with some other service/machine scraping off of my bandwith.

Switched off all but Slingbox and client Laptop. Didn't change anything noticable.

Then changed the port to 80 for both TCP and UDP - again no noticeable change

Am still pretty lost....

Many Thanks

#frank