5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2015 5:11 AM by Pardude RSS

Help with international users of slingbox 350 located in California USA ?

Pardude
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Hello, I'm a first timer using this Slingbox knowledge/forum. So please excuse me if i am out of line

I am currently in the Philippines. My Slingbox 350 is in San Francisco CA. Early morning here Manila time, my Slingbox signal is very good therefore good video quality. As the day goes buy, signal is from bad to poor (1 to 2 bars). My internet is fiber optics & i get a WiFi speed average of 16 Mbps. This is pretty much my daily speed. Question is why am i getting good Video early in the morning & poor video quality (choppy) the rest of the day even if my internet speed as mentioned is averaging at 16 Mbps ?

Can anyone help me on this matter ?

• Re: Help with international users of slingbox 350 located in California USA ?
          alanrichey42 Master

Your Internet speed in the Philippines is irrelevant.  The important speed is the upload speed in California.   And as your speed degrades as everyone in your California location gets home from work and starts watching videos, it probably means the system in California has a limited capacity and starts to collapse when too many people use it.

Pardude

Thank you for you reply & really appreciate the feedback. I believe i

understand your point.

The only thing is my internet speed in California using Comcast Cable

Internet is 80-100 Mbps. daytime and/or night time. My Slingbox 350 is hard

wired to my LAN.

I'm scratching my head on this since i know both location has more than

enough Internet speed to support at the very minimum SQ on watching

Slingbox video streaming.

Last December, on & off i could watch good quality video playback using my

Macbook Air, iPhone 5 and/or iPad air at night & sometimes during the day.

But this month, as mentioned, i can only use slingbox early AM.

Am i missing something else ?

This email, which may contain information that are confidential or

privileged is intended to be for the use of the individual, individuals

and/or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, please

notify Tim Quesada immediately of your receipt of this email transmission,

delete it, and be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use

of the contents of this transmission is prohibited.

alanrichey42 Master

The other thing you need to remember is you don't have a direct link between California and the Philippines.  This is the Internet, so the signal can travel all over the world, going through multiple servers before it gets to you.   Any one of those servers could be the bottle-neck you are experiencing.  And the fact that your posted upload speed is 80-100 also needs to be treated carefully.   You really need for someone to run a speedcheck at the appropriate time to see what it is actually achieving.  I assume you have done the same at your end to ensure it isn't the fact that all your neighbours are logging in that is causing the problem ?   I certainly notice a huge difference in overall performance in my small village when everyone gets home from work and turns on their laptops.

I don't know anything about the Philippines internet setup, but maybe all the signals come through a single undersea cable that is getting overloaded ?

Bottom line is that you have everything set up so that a decent speed should be achieved but you are probably being affected by something that is totally out of your control.

Pardude

Yes something is definitely going on that i just can't put my finger on.

I appreciate your help & insights.

Thank you

This email, which may contain information that are confidential or

privileged is intended to be for the use of the individual, individuals

and/or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, please

notify Tim Quesada immediately of your receipt of this email transmission,

delete it, and be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use

of the contents of this transmission is prohibited.

Pardude

PS: I actually live in San Francisco with my wife & we are about half an hour drive from the heart of Silicone Valley. The 80-100 Mbps we are enjoying was tested countless times using Speedtest by Ookla. If you know of a better sight that can measure Internet speeds, would appreciate it if you can share the link.

Thanks again. Maybe my Slingbox in the San Francisco just needs a reset. Unfortunately my wife & I are on an extended vacation in the Philippines & won't be back until middle of March so there's no one that can do this for me.

I'll eventually figure this issue out

TSQ iPad Air