3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2015 7:01 PM by NOLAtrumpet RSS

Using MI and Ipad air - Useless due to buffering.

NOLAtrumpet
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Using MI and Ipad air - Useless due to buffering.  Beautiful picture for a few seconds, then nothing but buffering.  Any suggestions before I return for refund?

• Re: Using MI and Ipad air - Useless due to buffering.
          anthony.sling Apprentice

Hey Clarence,

I would check to see if the streaming format is TCP. You can do this by taking 3 fingers and tapping on your iPad screen. If it says anything other then TCP, you may want to check into port forwarding.

This article should assist with port forwarding the Slingbox.

~Anthony

NOLAtrumpet

Anthony,

Thanks for checking back in.

The slingbox is quite a mystery to me.  It will work like a charm now for several hours, then suddenly stop for anywhere from an hour to two hours.  I have many theories why this happens.  At the root is probably my DSL service with less than 1.0 Mbps upload speed.  Nevertheless it works perfectly - sometimes.  BTW - the three tap trick only works when it is connected and working, so checking it when it's not working is impossible.  That said, it always shows TCP when I have a picture.

I've been trying to figure out some pattern for when it doesn't work.  So far, no rhyme or reason.

I live in the middle of about 10 wifi networks, mostly neighbors.  Perhaps they cause intermittent interference?

Yesterday, after working perfectly from 4pm till 7pm, it shut down the moment my wife came home from work. Seems her "Fitbit" syncing to our ipad caused interference - as soon as the sync was complete the slingplayer began working again.

I live close to a parade route (New Orleans Mardi Gras).  Lot's of cell phones and helicopters overhead.  Seems to cause problems at parade time - but not tonight.  Like I said - no rhyme or reason.

Different things some times help - eg shutting down my ipad and rebooting - but not always. Or pulling the power on the slingbox and ATT router - but not always.

If you are interested, I'll make a careful log of up times and downtimes, what helps, what doesn't.  Let me know.

Clarence Wolbrette

>

NOLAtrumpet

When I spoke by phone with support a couple of days ago I said I was planning on returning the slingbox to Amazon for a refund.  I've changed my mind.  It works more often than it doesn't, and when it does work (about 75% of the time) it is spectacular.  The signal easily carries from one end of my home to the other.  I have even connected and changed channels away from my house on my 4g cellphone - which blows my mind.  Anything you can suggest to help me gain that 25% of downtime would be hugely appreciated. I am totally puzzled.

Clarence Wolbrette

>