3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2015 4:28 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Sling box 500 physically overseas for my French Dad in the USA ...

msebban
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Hello !!

Well, I suppose the title alone could say it all ...

I brought with me back to France a SlingBox 500 so that my French dad could watch the French TV.

I am actually happy they came to spend their last years in Sunny Florida (considering the actually well under estimated amount of no go zones in Paris by Fox News;  multiple by 3 the areas, to get the real pictures !)

Back to my issue :

While I plugged the device here in Paris I quickly realized that without the remote features programmed according to the local service providers he (my dad) would not have been able to use the remote.

I suppose I could live with this, making sure I leave the TV running at night with his favorite chanel.

But the programming steps sequences doest not allow me to go thru.

Has anyone already encountered that and found a way for the sling box to be usable the USA,hardware installed in France ! ??

Thanks for helping..

Mickael

• Re: Sling box 500 physically overseas for my French Dad in the USA ...
          alanrichey42 Master

Not sure I understand what you mean.   Is it simply that your French receiver is not in the supported list ?   If so check out check out this thread:  https://community.sling.com/message/10363#10363

If not, can you be a bit more specific ?

msebban

Hello Alan,

Thnak you for your response !

I took the slingbox to France with me. Yes, the french ISP is not listed.

free.fr (freebox).

3rd largest ISP in France, that almost expanded its operation in the US had

their  tentative acquisition not failed. Too bad, you would have had for 20

$ a triple play service offering in the US !...

Here is the URL for their TV program for your information :

http://television.portail.free.fr

If this is a tedious process to add on board new carrier, I think you

should add a "no remote option",  allowing people to have some limited

services available such as the case figure I am outlining in this post ...

Mickael

Bien à vous,

Mickaël Sebban

P. +33 (0)6 14 69 54 85

www.adael.net

Adael Wireless

9 rue d'Anjou

75008 Paris FR

Tél.:   01 70 06 04 18

Fax. : 01 77 75 45 40

2015-02-08 7:19 GMT+01:00 alanrichey42 <answers@slingmedia.com>:

Sling box 500 physically overseas for my French Dad in the USA ...

reply from alanrichey42

<https://community.sling.com/people/alanrichey42?et=watches.email.thread>

in msebban - View the full discussion

<https://community.sling.com/message/116464?et=watches.email.thread#116464>

alanrichey42 Master

OK, bad news:

1.  You appear to think I work for Sling Media.  Be assured I have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with Sling.  I am just a user like yourself who happens to have years of experience with Slingboxes, particularly the virtual remotes and am happy to answer questions that Sling Media have ignored.

2.  What you are asking for is impossible.   Sling have contracted a firm in the USA and Canada  (ZapIt I think) to provide on on-line TV Listing.   Any other country in the world (although I notice Japan has just crept in) do not get this service.

3.  I have been asking to Sling to add the "Other County" option ever since the 350 & 500 came out.  They have totally ignored me and remain 100% USA-centric.  So by all means suggest it but you will be wasting your time.

The good news is that this has no effect at all on the streaming.  All you have to do to complete the setup is 'lie' to the system and tell it you are in the USA, enter a valid ZIP copde (90210 is my favourite) and select the "No Provider" option.   Then you will be good to go, and your Dad will just have to get used to using the built-in guide on your TV system.