1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 4, 2015 8:22 PM by ferguspa RSS

having trouble pushing my signal from my iphone to apple tv

dougd@dawsonlogisics.com
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I have a Slingbox M1.  I set it up with no problem.  Using my comcast satellite service.  I was also able to view it on my iphone thru my slingbox app.  What I am having trouble with is the ability to then send the signal from my iphone to another tv via apple tv.  I was told Apple TV does NOT have to be connected to WIFI for this to work.  When I connected the apple TV to WIFI it works, but my plan is to be able to watch my slingbox feed by pushing my iphone app feed to an outside TV thru Apple TV WITHOUT the apple TV being connected to WIFI.  Does anyone know if this is even possible?  Thanks

• Re: having trouble pushing my signal from my iphone to apple tv
          ferguspa Apprentice

Two options.

1. Connect the Apple TV via Ethernet to the same network as your phone.
          2. Use peer-to-peer AirPlay to set up an ad-hoc WiFi stream from your phone -> Apple TV.  "Peer-to-peer AirPlay requires...an iOS device (late 2012 or later) with iOS 8; and an Apple TV (3rd generation rev A, model A1469 or later) with Apple TV software 7.0 or later."  See "AirPlay" from the iOS 8 Deployment reference and this post on the Apple Discussion Forums (plus whatever you might be able to find via Google).

The former is more reliable (less moving parts), but the latter requires less infrastructure (i.e. WiFi networks) and less security hoops (e.g. streaming to an Apple TV that is connected to a secured corporate network).