0 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2015 2:09 PM by lonnadave RSS

Pay channels and HDMI

lonnadave
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Why can't I get my pay channels on my slingbox without unplugging my HDMI - that's ridiculous

• Re: THIS FORUM SUCKS
          ferguspa Apprentice

Call your cable or satellite company and ask them to disable HDCP and/or SOC. But you're virtually assured they won't.

Otherwise use component video cables from your Slingbox's output/passthrough jacks and run them to your TV.  Note you might need to ask your television provider for a satellite or cable box with component outputs.

ferguspa Apprentice

And to prevent you from having to deal with the suck of the forum, you probably won't be able to reply since you have no last name listed.  See Can't Reply on Forums...

lonnadave

Whatever....cause that makes a difference in answering my question about slingbox service. 

Sent from my iPad

alanrichey42 Master

But this has nothing to do with the Slingbox.   As ferguspa said, your TV Provider has decided to not to allow you access to the premium channels other than directly watching them on the TV.    ANY third-party device (DVDR, PVR, Vulkano, Slingbox....) that attempts to access them will fail.   So not sure why you are complaining about the Slingbox specifically.

lonnadave

INCORRECT - If I unplug the HDMI cable I can watch it on slingbox.  So based on that can you tell me what you're talking about when you say you can't watch the pay channels on any third party device?

To: lonnadave <lonnadave@yahoo.com>

Sent: Sunday, February 1, 2015 12:10 AM

Subject: Re:  - THIS FORUM SUCKS

THIS FORUM SUCKS

reply from alanrichey42 in lonnadave - View the full discussionBut this has nothing to do with the Slingbox.   As ferguspa said, your TV Provider has decided to not to allow you access to the premium channels other than directly watching them on the TV.    ANY third-party device (DVDR, PVR, Vulkano, Slingbox....) that attempts to access them will fail.   So not sure why you are complaining about the Slingbox.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in lonnadave by email or at Slingbox Answers Forum

Following THIS FORUM SUCKS in these streams: Inbox

ferguspa Apprentice

What alanrichey42 is saying is that you can't watch premium HDCP-protected channels (HBO and the like) via the component outputs when a HDMI device is attached to the DirecTV receiver.  Regardless of whether you had a Slingbox, Vulkano, or even another TV attached to the DirecTV receiver's component outputs, HDMI attached + HDCP-protected programming equals no component output.

ferguspa Apprentice

The same restriction ("can't [watch] my pay channels on my [component video attached device] without unplugging my HDMI") would exist if two TVs (one plugged into HDMI and one plugged into component) were attached to a DirecTV receiver.