5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2015 5:35 AM by ferguspa RSS

Helping a novice

davewesley

Okay,  I bought the Slingbox 500 a year ago so my kids who were out of the house could access programming.  Somehow I successfully set it up at that time in the spare bedroom.  Circumstances changed and they no longer need access.  DirecTV updated my equipment to Genie yesterday and now I have shared DVR access between that spare bedroom and the main TV in the living room.  I noticed about a dozen old shows still recorded.  When I went to delete them with the DirecTV remote a message came up saying I needed to delete it from Slingbox.  I don't know how to do that.  Since I can see the list of shows from the main TV, I presume the hookup is still correct.  I went onto my iMac thinking I needed to access it from another device.  I downloaded Slingplayer app onto Mac but get a "no video signal" message.  I tried using the Siingbox remote with the spare room TV to see if I could get a menu to appear there but no luck.  I'm sure it's simple but I must be simpler.  I know I could disconnect the box but I thought I'd keep it hooked up since I own it and circumstances might change again.

Dave

• Re: Helping a novice
          ferguspa Apprentice

One doesn't delete the shows from the Slingbox--think of the Slingbox as a TV.  One doesn't delete shows from a TV.

What is the full text of the error where you mentioned "When I went to delete them with the DirecTV remote a message came up saying I needed to delete it from Slingbox"?

davewesley

The full message is "This program can only be deleted from SLING"

Dave

Sent from my iPad

ferguspa Apprentice

Ok, I think I can guess what's going on.  You're seeing a message, "This program can only be deleted from..." that is generated by the DirecTV hardware itself (with no knowledge of the Slingbox).  The "SLING" mentioned is likely the name of the DirecTV receiver where the recording was made* (we have "LR" for living room and "BM" for basement).

*I have no idea why the apparent "central" DVR (the larger Genie box) is named "SLING" in your case.  I'd think it would make more sense that the central Genie DVR would be named "Living Room" or "Family Room" and a remote Genie Mini or Wireless Genie would be named "SLING". It sounds like an error on the installer's part, mis-naming your DirecTV hardware.

Call DirecTV and ask them:

1. To assist you with confirming the names of your DirecTV receivers and possibly renaming them to something more sensible
                  2. To assist you with remedying the (apparent) fact you can't remotely delete programs from the DirecTV receiver your Slingbox is attached to

Second, what model number of DirecTV box is your Slingbox attached to?  Is it attached via HDMI, component, or composite cabling?

davewesley

Actually, I should have mentioned that I only upgraded to Genie on the main TV in the living room. In the bedroom the DirecTV guy suggested I keep the DirecTV + HDR box I already had because it could complement the recording capacity of the Genie. I didn't have a preference one way or the other so I kept that box. One thing he did change out in the bedroom was a splitter type attachment (not sure what it's actually called) saying it was unnecessary now.   The DirecTV boxes are named "living room" and "bedroom".  We didn't name any DirecTV equipment "SLING". 

Dave

Sent from my iPad

ferguspa Apprentice

Call DirecTV and ask them:

1. To assist you with confirming the names of your DirecTV receivers and possibly renaming them
                          2. To assist you with remedying the issue you can't delete some programs from the DirecTV receiver your Slingbox is attached to

What model number of DirecTV box is your Slingbox attached to?  Is it attached via HDMI, component, or composite cabling?