55 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2016 6:56 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Mediasonic Homeworx  HW180STB

ACC6318420

HI:

I purchased a Mediasonic Homeworx HW180STB and neither Mediasonic or Homeworx are listed as products that Slingbox supports.  I have gone through the set up process and noted that I have this box.  I can get Slingbox to work with the HW180STB, just can get the remote control recognized.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Chas

• Re: Mediasonic Homeworx  HW180STB
          alanrichey42 Master

I assume you have already done a proper Forum Search for your model number in case other people have already answered your question ?

If so and that didn't help then check out this thread:  https://community.sling.com/message/10363#10363

Come back if it that doesn't help either.

Al

ACC6318420

Hi Al:

Thanks for your reply…yes, I had searched the forum and found only one response that wasn’t helpful.  I checked the link below and do see my box listed, which I take as very hopeful.  When I click on it, it takes me to a download.  When I go to download the file (which I am not sure how that will help) the process blows up with mall ware alerts and tries to install lots of tool bars etc.  Any help on how to get this to work would be so appreciated.

Thanks again,

Chas

alanrichey42 Master

You didn't actually post the link so I don't know what you were trying, but here is the link where I uploaded the file   HomeWorx HW-180

ACC6318420

HI Al:

I have followed your link below and downloaded the C2010_PL.bin file, but it still doesn’t get the remote function to work.  I have tried several other .bin files (V2010, C1828, C2000) and still no luck.  Originally, when I downloaded the C2010_PL file, the remote was dark and no indication when I clicked on any buttons.  After I tried a couple of other .bin files I began to see the buttons light up, but still no function.  I really feel like I am very close, any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Chas

alanrichey42 Master

I have tried several other .bin files (V2010, C1828, C2000) and still no luck.

I really feel like I am very close, any help would be really appreciated.

Actually you are nowhere close    I obviously need to explain a bit.   Codes 0000-2000 are device-specific (1123 is Sky, 0824 is Comcast..).    Homeworx is not built-in so there is no point in trying any of those.  2000-2047 are free for people like me to use to build Custom Remotes.   I use 2010 as my personal 'handle', 2000 is used by a chap known as Robman and 2013 was used by a chap called eferz.   At the last count there were almost 1000 Custom Remotes out there using the code 2010, all totally different.

So the ONLY code that will work with your box is the one I pointed to, and the code number it uses is totally irrelevant.

I have followed your link below and downloaded the C2010_PL.bin file, but it still doesn’t get the remote function to work. 

OK, you obviously didn't read the instructions, I quote:

"....If you have any problems installing these files please do NOT just report back it ‘doesn’t work’, that is totally useless for someone trying to understand what is going on.  So please report......"

And what did you do ? 

So how about we start again ?

ACC6318420

Hi Al:

Sorry for the poor performance on the last e-mail.  I will try to be a bit more specific.

I followed your link and downloaded the file for Mediasonic Homeworx HW180STB.  I copied that file to my desk top, the file indicated that it was streaming and an icon appeared on my desktop.  I went through the instructions and brought up the Slingbox site.  It recognized my Slingbox. I selected Cable TV Box and then entered Custom.  I created a path for the file on the desktop c:\users\chas\desktop\C2010_PL.bin and clicked test.  The process ran

Enter the location and filename (e.g.

C:\S2010_PL.bin) of the .BIN file you're uploading :

Click TEST to upload the file.

Info about the custom .BIN file :

Device Type

: 

Cable TV Box

IR setup code

: 

C2010

When the remote control appears, try it. If it doesn't work correctly, try uploading a different

The remote appeared on the screen, but it has no functionality…no buttons affect any functionality of what is showing in the TV Box on screen (but programming is streaming).  I only tried other codes because it mentioned that it might work, but soon became overwhelmed by the sheer number of choices.  I think that is all that I can report.

As always, I appreciate your help and look forward to your reply.

Chas

alanrichey42 Master

A bit better

I think that is all that I can report.

Nope, the instructions specifically ask you to answer 8 questions, you have probably answered about 2 of them so far.

Next ?

ACC57622

HI Al,

I am also having the same challenges as Chas Meehan .  I tried downloading the BIN file for the HW180STB from the following location JP1 Remotes :: File Section

The setup worked fine and the IR is definitely firing from my Sling 500 and the emitter (confirmed via digital camera test), however the converter box is not responding to any commands.

I recenlty purchased this model from Amazon that is branded as a "New Version" in the title and this version was released on January 9, 2015:  http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW180STB-HomeWorx-Converter-Recording/dp/B00IYETYX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423967491&sr=8-1&keywords=hw180stb

I see that you posted your BIN file in October 2014.  Is it possible that the new version requires a code update to function properly?  This could explain why Chas and I are having trouble with the custom remote code you created.  I appreciate your support.

alanrichey42 Master

It may be, I have no idea.  Because I don't have access to the original remote I have to rely on installing the device onto my Logitech Harmony Universal Remote and use that to mimic the original.  I have just checked again and it definitely sends the same codes that I used to build that BIN file.   And I never upload a BIN file until it has been proven to work, so someone confirmed that last year.

So, unless you know someone with a Harmony remote, the only solution would be to send me the original remote (in the UK).   Or buy an IR 'widget (USA) and do it yourself.

ACC57622

Thank you Alan. I actually do own a Harmony remote. Is there another thread that you can point me to that provides the instructions to mimic the original?  In the meantime, I'll install the device on my Harmony. Thanks again.

alanrichey42 Master

Better still install it on my account, so I can load it on my Harmony and check the codes.   On the standalone software the use rname is slingboxes and the password is password.   On MyHarmony the e-mail address is alan@rmrsoft.com and same password.

ACC57622

OK - I did install it on my remote and did a test using the standard database that Harmony loaded. The database file they loaded to my remote did not work. I was just going through the process to "learn" it to on my account, but I will do as you have said.

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 5:55 AM, alanrichey42 <answers@slingmedia.com>

ACC57622

Hi Al,

It's loaded to your account on the standalone software as "Digital Set Top Box 2" and I named the model as HW180stb2015 to avoid any confusion with the other version that is loaded. Thank you so much for your support. Please let me know if you need anything else.

alanrichey42 Master

As you say, totally different from the 'official' version.  OK, here is the first draft of the file, just 2 problems:

(As an aside you have Guide and EPG with different codes ?)

1.  The 'Rewind' button did not learn correctly.  Can you do it again ?  probably best to do it raw.   And to be safe, map it to the 1,2 & 3 buttons as well.

2.  Too many non-standard functions to get on the remote.  You can map them to the following unused buttons:

Page+ & Page-

Enter

the 5 Colour buttons

15 Custom buttons.

So 23 buttons available and the 26 functions you need to map are

Search  Slow  Step  Timer  CC  USB  EPG  GoTo  Hold  Clear  TopMenu  Display  Eject Audio

Setup  Zoom  Subtitle Angle 50/60Hz  HD  Repeat  RepeatAll  Bookmark VGA  Program  PAL/NTSC

Just let me know what to put where

ACC57622

Al,

You are fantastic!  Thank you so much for the quick help on this. The key fields are working.  I'm going to work on the problems that you listed below regarding the Rewind button and the non-standard functions.  I just got the converter box yesterday, so I need to understand what each button does (e.g. Guide vs. EPG).  I'll update the Harmony file with the rewind button and post the additional information that you need later today or tonight.  Thank you again!!!

ACC57622

Hi Al,

I updated the 1, 2, 3, and Rewind buttons to the Rewind command on the remote.

For the mapping, please disregard all the buttons in the Learn IR screen that have an Origin of "Database".  There were no buttons on the device remote for these default commands.

A few other requests/suggestions:

- The command for EPG in the Harmony file should be mapped to the Guide button on the Slingbox remote.  The EPG button is a more comprehensive "Guide" feature for the device. The command for "TvGuide" in the Harmony file is not really important.  It can be mapped to any custom button. 

- Please map the "Go To" button in the Harmony file to the "Enter" button on the Slingbox remote.

- The rest of the buttons in the Harmony file that have an Origin of "Your Original Remote" and are not already mapped to the slingbox remote can be mapped to any custom code.  If you create a readme file that explains the mapping, that would be helpful, but these are not critical buttons for the functionality of the device.

Thanks again for your help and please let me know if you need anything additional.

ACC6318420
                                          Mediasonic Homeworx  HW180STB

Thanks for the new file, remote now works as advertised!

Chas

tb410083

Here's my situation.....I have an M1 and have had it connected to Direct TV - but am now cutting the cable - I have a Home Worx box that will act as a tuner.  However, the Home Worx box only has a 3 AV input - Red, White and Yellow.  All the instructions I've seen only show how to connect a 5 input cable.  Even though the M1 has a yellow video input video.  I have been able to get a video sign through the Sling when connected to the Home Worx box, but by connecting the video to the Green cable input (I think that's the one) - but I only get black and white (which makes sense).  Anyone know why I can't use the Yellow input to the SlingBox by it's self?  I can live with the black and while if I have to, but would like color if possible.  Thanks in advance.  How did you get a color (I assume you did) picture?