14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2010 2:08 AM by eferz RSS

Unable to connect locally to new Pro-HD during setup

link484

I am unable to connect to a new Pro HD over a local network.  The box is directly connected to the router and all of the lights on the box are on steady   The router has assigned an IP address and I can ping the box from a PC.  Both web setup and slingplayer setup list the box and ID but can't connect.  The web setup also strangely says that the admin password is wrong.    I am running Windows XP.  The router is an actiontec (Verizon Fios).  I have temporarily disabled Windows firewall but that didn't appear to change anything.  I have tried the reset button but that also didn't appear to do anything.  I have seen posts involving an inability to connect remotely but couldn't find anything about an inability to connect locally during setup.  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you.

• Re: Unable to connect locally to new Pro-HD during setup
          eferz Expert

I recommend performing a factory reset as discribed in this article. (http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-1000038),

dursty

I'm having the same problem and apparently a lot of other people are too and so far there isn't a solution posted anywhere.  Slingbox response has been to simply reset the slingbox and that 100% isn't the answer.  I have slingbox classic and I go through the install... it see's the slingbox fine on network.. enter the admin password fine.. get to the second password and comes back and says

"There was an error  connecting to the box."

have no firewalls turned.. No Mcaffe installed at all.

eferz Expert

Performing a factory reset on the Slingbox should resolve password problems.  This is because when you perform a factory reset on your Slingbox, it will wipe all the configuration off from it.  This means there will be no password associated with your Slingbox after it is performed.

Three passwords total in regards to Sling ecosystem, there's the Sling Account username and password.  This gives you access to the online Sling Directory which stores the information necessary to connect to your Slingbox(es).  The other two are stored on the Slingbo; Administrator and Guest Password. The administrator password allows you to configure, watch, and kick off guests on your Slingbox.  Where as the guest password only allows access if there's nobody connected.

It sounds like you're connecting to your Sling Account credentials, but the actual connection to the Slingbox is failing.  I would recommend looking closer into entry of the Slingbox Directory.  Make sure that you're using Sling ID, that will ensure that its attempting to connect to the Slingbox,  If that doesn't work, then I recommend in looking up the local and public IP address of your Slingbox.  Then create an entry for each IP address to see if you can connect alternatively through Sling's DDNS services.

dursty

It sounds like you're connecting to your Sling Account credentials, but the actual connection to the Slingbox is failing.

I'm pretty sure that part is true.  (btw this is the third PC I've tried installing the software on)

I would recommend looking closer into entry of the Slingbox Directory.

Not sure what that is... you mean the longslingbox ID string? And where exactly would I be looking closer at?

Make sure that you're using Sling ID, that will ensure that its attempting to connect to the Slingbox,

I'm pretty sure I am, I did the standard install.

If that doesn't work, then I recommend in looking up the local and public IP address of your Slingbox.

Well.. the local IP address for the slingbox is the normal internal address given by the router (192.168.x.x)  

I have the routers external address that connects to the internet as well.  I did setup port forwarding to the slingbox.  Note the router is actiontec from verizon which I've read that people had problems with but that's not confirmed.

Then create an entry for each IP address to see if you can connect alternatively through Sling's DDNS services.

Ok.. not sure what I'm supposed to enter and where.. which application do use to make these entries.. All I have is the web install app which only asks like two questions which are passwords.... I have the slingbox viewer which is where you connect and make modifications to the slingbox settings, (ports, inputs, etc. . However when I try to connect and enter my admin password it times out or it says incompatible device.

Note, when the slingbox player starts it scans the local network looking for slingboxes it does find mine under local network.

link484

My problem was fixed with a new power supply for the slingbox.  Go figure.

dursty

I tried the sling player as well for configuring the slingbox.  I see's the slingbox on the the network, however when I try to start the configuration process sometimes it gets to the password screen, and just sits there and eventually times out.  Other times it says incompatible device, wtf?  Wish I had an extra power supply to test but I don't.  Really strange a power supply would cause it not to connect properly though, although a lot of users her are having to get replacement power supplies.

I've had this slingbox for a long time, and I've tried configuring several times over the last couple of years in  a couple of different locations but it's never worked.  I've been using the sling player for a long time connecting to my friends slingbox, just never have gotten mine to work.

eferz Expert

dursty wrote:

Wish I had an extra power supply to test but I don't.  Really strange a power supply would cause it not to connect properly though, although a lot of users her are having to get replacement power supplies.

As I understand, if the power supply isn't giving the correct voltage then it can cause a variable of problems.  You might consider buying one to use as a test, and if it doesn't work then return it.  At least you will be able to tell if its a problem with either the Slingbox itself or the power supply.

Bryanod Novice

When the sling is reset.  The sling player should pop up a box saying there is a unconfigured slingbox on the lan.  Does that happen?

Bryanod Novice

If you get to a point where it asks you for a password it means its not upnp configurable router.  The only time it should ask for a password during the setup wizard is when you set the admin and the guest password.   

dursty

When using the desktop client (slingbox player) I do see the unconfigured slingbox , but when I click "connect" it says device not supported by slingplayer, click here to see supported devices.

Just wonder has 'anybody' gotten a slingbox classic to work with a Fios network?  If so where there any specific FIOS related router settings required?  I did check off all the upnp settings on the router to see if that woudl make a difference but it didn't.

Bryanod Novice

Oh I see now.

You need to use SlingPlayer 1.5 first.  The classic must be at a certain firmware level before you can use SlingPlayer 2.0.

Use slingplayer 1.5 and update the firmware to use the 2.0 player.  Or just stick to the 1.5 version.  Let us know how it goes 

dursty

interesting... although when using the web install, it checked the firmware level of the slingbox and reported back it was the latest revision. 

eferz Expert

In an earlier post you mentioned that you didn't get the "unsupported device" error message consistantly.  I suppose you can clear up the firmware revision by going into the Slingbox Directory [Alt]+[d] and highlight the appropriate Slingbox | Edit... | Information tab wait for the values to propage then under the Identiy subsection, you'll see the info for Firmware version and Firmware release date.

You also mentioned earlier that your friend has an Slingbox, do you know if his AC adapter is compatible with yours?  As I understand the Classic is also compatible with the Tuner and AV power adapters.  Perhaps you can ask him to borrow it for testing purposes.