8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2010 11:44 AM by ranaleon RSS

Remote for Sony BDP-CX960 DVD player

jeffodell

I can not seem to figure out how to get slingbox remote for the Sony BDP-CX960 DVD player.  I've run through all of the Sony equipment selections during slingbox setup (including "other") and none of them seem to control this device.  I can see the video signal, but no remote.  Sony doesn't seem to want to help, and nothing for remote codes on the web that I can find.  Any ideas??

• Re: Remote for Sony BDP-CX960 DVD player
          eferz Expert

Hey, do me a favor.  Test the attachment on this post. (https://community.sling.com/message/9080#9080). Alan Richey is in the middle of building a custom remote file for my Sony DVD Jukebox (DVP-CX995V).  I think it might also work for you, since most of the Sony's Jukeboxes uses all the same codes.

Btw, this currently only works for US based Slingboxes.

If you are using SlingPlayer for Windows:

1. Download and unip the following file (https://community.sling.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/9080-2009/V1128_PL.bin.zip)
          2. Place the V1128_PL.bin file into the \Sling Media\SlingPlayer\SBAV (usually under C:\Program Files)
          3. Open SlingPlayer for Windows software.
            Don’t have it  installed? Get  it here - http://downloads.slingmedia.com/.
          4. Connect to your Slingbox.
          5. Choose Settings > Setup Assistant.
          6. In the Setup Assistant, from the left panel, click "Configure  Video Sources."
          7. Click the Slingbox input that your device is connected to.
          8. On the Configure Video Sources page, select Standalone DVR.
          9. Enter your zip code.
          10. Select any service provider, if asked
          11. On the next page, select Sony in  the first dropdown, and Other on  the second.
          12. On the next page, select Other and in the box type "V1128" (case sensative, make sure its upper-case)
          13. On the next page, click on Power button.  At this time, the remote file will be uploading into your Slingbox.
          14. Make sure that you can power off and on the your set-top box.
          15. Follow the directions on the next several screens, and click APPLY.
              jeffodell

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll definitely try your suggestion when I'm back in town this week. I'll let you know how it goes.  Thanks again.

eferz Expert

We completed the custom remote, so you'll want to download this file instead. (https://community.sling.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/9295-2024/Sony%20DVP%20CX-985V.zip).  This thread is where we collaborate on building the remote  (https://community.sling.com/message/9372#9372).  We decided in using a custom remote skin for a Sony Satellite DVR in order to avoid the generic skin.  So, you can check it for the button relationship.

jeffodell

Forget my last response (few minutes ago).  I went ahead and followed the instructions in your second post on 6/29 and got all the way through the process following the Readme file instructions.  Unfortunately the remote did not control the Sony DBP-CX960.  Here are some answers to the feedback question you listed in the Readme file.

1.   Was there any error message after you typed in the Code and tapped the Power button ? NO

2.   Did you give the Power command plenty of time to react ?  (I have a DVR that takes about 6-8 seconds to power up/down) YES

3.   After completing the setup (regardless of whether the Power button worked) do any of the other buttons work ?  NO - tried them all

4.   Have you used a Digital Camera to confirm the IR Blaster is actually firing when you tap the Power button ?  (Watch the tip of the IR Blaster thorugh the viewfinder while you tap a button.  You should see a white (not red) flash)  NO - I need to do this

5.   Have you experimented with the placement of the IR Blaster ?  On some devices this is critical so don't give up too quickly.

6.   If nothing works check out http://betaremotes.slingbox.com where you might be able to build your own remote.

alanrichey42 Master

jeffodell wrote:

4.   Have you used a Digital Camera to confirm the IR Blaster is actually firing when you tap the Power button ?  (Watch the tip of the IR Blaster thorugh the viewfinder while you tap a button.  You should see a white (not red) flash)  NO - I need to do this

OK, there is no point in us suggesting anything else until you have tested the blaster.  Does your mobile phone not have a camera ?

For eferz:  I have just realised a downside to using 'real' remote skins.  When we used '2010' as the code, if the user had not put the files in the right place the system would generate the 'Not found' error.  Now we are using an existing code, if the file is not found it will use the built-in version of the code and apparently install correctly but with the wrong remote.   So, I am going to have to introduce an additional check in situations like this, by getting the user to install a '2010' code first with the generic remote and only if that works, move onto the new version with the realistic skin.   But in this case we will wait till he has tested his IR Blasters,

Al

jeffodell

Finally got a chance to try your suggestion.  Unfortunately hit a snag ... specifically on step 12 (steps 8 -12 that you suggested shown here).

• 8. On the Configure Video Sources page, select Standalone DVR.
                      • 9. Enter your zip code.
                      • 10. Select any service provider, if asked
                      • 11. On the next page, select Sony in  the first dropdown, and Other on  the second. 
                      • 12. On the next page, select Other and in the box type "V1128" (case sensative, make sure its upper-case)

When I got to step 12 there was not a "Other" selection or place to type V1128.  The page for step 12 showed me the "line up" of programs that were being provided by the service provider that I selected in step 10.

Since the Sony DBP-CX960 is DVD player (400 discs), it seems odd to select Standalone DVR in step 8 (?) ... because it takes me down the path of the slingbox being connected to the cable channels coming into my house, not the SONY DVD player.  Did I get this wrong somehow??

eferz Expert

setupass.jpg

I'm sorry the last line should be "Custom" then type "V1128" the press "Power"

And yes using the Sony DVR skin is the only way we can get a decent remote skin for the Sony Jukeboxes. Trust me, I also have a Sony Jukebox too.  And before we created this remote it was ridiculous trying to control it through the generic remote originally provided by Slingplayer.  With the remote that Sling Media provides, you have to continuosly go into menus for certain functions.  And some functions weren't labeled or even there.

DIFFERENCE.jpg

V1128 Skin                     Generic Skin  

With this customized remote, all of the buttons are available on the face of the remote.  Most of the buttons match the actual remote and pretty intuitive.  Though there are a few that aren't, but those are listed the readme file that Alan included in the final version which is in the other thread. (https://community.sling.com/message/9444#9444)

The difference from the virtual skin and the functionality of the actual remote.  I'll just leave it here for someone since not all the bindings are properly labeled or as obvious (especially with mobile clients).

Virtual   RemoteActual Function
                          Prog+Disc+
                          Prog-Disc-
                          InputSA-CD MULTI/2CH
                          TV/DVDSA-CD/CD
                          REDEDIT (DISC NAVIGATOR)
                          GREENFILE (DISC NAVIGATOR)
                          YELLOWSORT (DISC NAVIGATOR)
                          BLUEPICTURE MEMORY (DISC   NAVIGATOR)
                          SYSTEM MENUTOP MENU (DVD)
                          TITLE LISTFOLDER (DISC   NAVIGATOR)
                          GUIDEPICTURE NAVI
                          RECALBUM+
                          REC STOPALBUM-
                          HDD/DVD(DUB)FOLDER (DISC   NAVIGATOR)
                          REC MODEREPEAT
                          PLAY MODEPICTURE MODE
                            Apprentice

Hi, jeffodell.

Thank you for participating in the Slingbox Answers Forum!

Just checking, we would like to know if the information provided here helped you to fix the reported issue. Just make sure to post your results!

Regards,
                            The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team