3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2010 3:18 PM by eferz RSS

    12 Month Old Slingbox Steaming Quality

    tinner10tin

      I had bought my Slingbox SOLO with SlingLinks from Amazon June 2009 and I've used it without any issues for a while. 3000 - 4000 kbps bitrate when using locally and 1000 - 1500 kbps using remotely.

       

      Recently, my Slingbox's quality seems to have slipped. Local viewing fluxuates from 300 - 1300 kbps and I haven't even tried using it remotely. The configuration has not changed except for a new computer. I've tried using different routers and ethernet cables. I've also swapped in brand new slinglinks to see if there would be any improvement, and the quality seems to stay the same. I've also reseted the device and flashed the settings.

       

      I've concluded that it is either my sling device or the settings for my computer. I've haven't had any issues with streaming or connectivity with this system with any other application or service. I'm out of ideas.

        • Re: 12 Month Old Slingbox Steaming Quality
          eferz Expert

          Have you tried manually adjusting the encoding stream?

           

          Also, are you using Web Slingplayer or Slingbplayer Desktop?  The stream statistics can help determine what's going on with the connection.  If you're using Web Slingplayer you can hold down [Ctrl] and mouse click on the video, or if you're using Slingplayer Desktop then you can press [Alt]+[Shift]+[i].  These are the statitics which the Slingplayer uses in its algorythm to dynamically adjust the Sling Stream.

            • Re: 12 Month Old Slingbox Steaming Quality
              tinner10tin

              Thanks for replying eferz.

               

              I have tried manually adjusting the encoding and it causes the framerate to go down to zero. I mainly use the desktop client.

                • Re: 12 Month Old Slingbox Steaming Quality
                  eferz Expert

                  I'd compare the results by take a screenshot of the Sling Stream Encoding Statistics while doing automatic.  Then make small manual increment to the encoding and compare the results.  Try to find out what the maximum threshold.

                   

                  The only issue, I can think of is that there's a device connected into your powerlines that might be interefering with the signal.  A good test is to connect the Slingbox directly to your router to use as a process of elimination regarding the SlingLinks.