10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2015 2:14 PM by RSS

Why Does My Streaming Bit Rate drops from 1,800 Kbps to 250 Kbps and never Recovers?

djcohen01

Slingbox support has reported customer complaints on their support website of fluctuations in SlingPlayer streaming rates. They are investigating customer reports where streaming speeds significantly decrease and don't improve. For example, a stream starts out at 800 Kbps and drops to 200 Kbps and remains there until you disconnect  and then reconnect to your Slingbox from within the Slingplayer SW. If you keep streaming, the speed stays low and never recovers. I just got off the phone with Sling support and said not only am I experiencing this exact problem when connecting with my iPad using the SlingPlayer app, but I am also experiencing this problem when connecting to my Slingbox 500 using my MAC via the internet. I explained that when I connect using the Safari browser, I start streaming at ~1,800Kbps. After about 10 min, it drops to ~250Kbps and never recovers. When I disconnect and re-connect, I start out at ~1,800 Kbps and then it drops to ~250 Kbps and I am forced to continue this frustrating cycle of disconnecting/re-connecting every 10 minutes. The guy on Sling support blew me off and said that either my service provider at home or the service provider in my current location are not delivering the bandwidth they promised. I told him I have the latest SlingPlayer updates on my iPad, Slingbox 500 and my MAC. The speed tests in my current location are delivering 50 MB download/6MB upload. My neighbor just performed a speed test in my house and got 15MB download/2MB upload (which is exactly what it was last year when the Slingbox worked flawlessly). I also said that I can stream Netflix and Amazon HD movies to the TV, iPad and MAC (in my current location) and the streaming is perfect...no interruptions at all. The support guy said...sorry.

If anyone has experienced this problem or has any suggestions, your help would be greatly appreciated. We have lots of shows on our DVR that can't be watched while traveling.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Re: Why Does My Streaming Bit Rate drops from 1,800 Kbps to 250 Kbps and never Recovers?
          flynryan

I just started having this problem as well.  ~1,800Kbps for about 10 min then it drops to ~104Kbps with a black screen and never recovers.  I try to disconnect then reconnect but it stays at 104Kbps after the reconnect.  I never had this problem in the past 2 years I don't know what it could be. 

• Re: Why Does My Streaming Bit Rate drops from 1,800 Kbps to 250 Kbps and never Recovers?

Yes, I am having this issue since November 2014. I used to get around 3000 kbps bitrate at all time with my Internet speed at 25M download speed.

However, these days, I always find my bitrate around 1200 and drops to 400. Some frames gets skipped away often, so I cannot stream very well. (I tested my network speed and still 25M download speed)

I thought it might be the internet problem at the location of my Slingbox. I told my family to test the network speed when I have this problem, but the upload speed is more than 10M over there, so it shouldn't be the problem.

Very rarely, the bitrate gets back to 3000 for 1-2 hours.

Right now, the bitrate is back around 3000 but the internet speed is the same, 25M download speed. I think I will get around 400-1000 tomorrow.

*sorry for my bad english

djcohen01

Thanks for the info. That really sucks!! One thing that I have noticed

lately is that if I use my Slingbox 500 before 4PM Eastern Time it works

ok...after that time it doesn't work

mumkinator

David, I am still having problems like this one. Normally, at best, my speed is less than 2000 KBPs. And, of course, there can be great fluctuation. My installation home speed is off the charts. I have 20 MBPS here but never achieve that from Slingbox. I love the utility but wish for more quality transmissions.

Sofladmd

I am having this exact same issue, except I normally have to refresh every few mins and It freezes almost instantaneously. I have gotten error codes w211 and w202 just tonight. I'm currently hardwired in at 50mbps and still experiencing same issue. I contacted comcast and they instructed me to contact sling box and see if theres a port forwarding issue or it getting caught in the firewall of router. If anyone has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it as it's almost unwatchable. Again only happening with sling box as netflix, rook, etc all work flawlessly. Thanks

mgrantz

Has anyone gotten any answers?  I have a similar problem, I have 20+ MBPS connection but my bitrate fluctuates from 3000 down to 100 KBS.  However usually around midnight the bitrate climbs and holds steady at 2000-3000 KBS.  It seems like the bitrate and bandwidth are completely independent.  I work a 10:00 pm to 6:00 am shift often and it sucks not being able to sling for the first couple hours.

rwheeler56

Hey Mark

I finally solved my issue here.  First I thought it was Sling.  Nope not them.  Then I thought, well perhaps it must be my ISP.  Well, after going back and forth with my ISP, new router, cabling, etc., the problem would be fixed for like a day, and then BAM.  Problem would be back.  So, I did some research on the good old internet and found a product that resolved what my ISP has been doing to my STREAMING sessions (i.e. throttling my connection).  It is the use of a VPN connection.  The product I am using is from Golden Frog VYPRVPN.  They allow you to test out the product for three days to see if it meets your needs.  Well, it not only met my needs, it exceeded them.  Now i have ZERO issues with streaming from my slingbox down in Florida to Maryland.  I will not mention the ISP that is doing the throttling of my connection, but I will tell you this, the company does NOT being with the letter C, its the one that begins with the letter F.......  Here is the URL to Golden Frog.  Tell them that Ray Wheeler referred you.  I think they still have a special going on where you would get the first month for free and I would get a  month free.  Which I don't really care about the free month, I"m just to be a happy slingbox streamer again !!!!

VyprVPN - Secure Personal VPN | Golden Frog

P.S.  I have a pretty good idea why the F company is doing this throttling of slingbox streaming connections.  I found that this issue started right about the time that DISH was about to go live with the SLING TV product.....  Guess what?  This product helps with that too, so the F company can go stick their throttling where the sun don't shine.....:o)

Hi , I recently cut cable, went with a sling box m1 ,sling tv. I am using using it on my LG G3, Roku and firestick. I have the slingbox connected at my dads house and streaming it from my own home.  For the first few weeks I was getting excellent bit rate at least 4000 kbs , now im getting 400 to 600 kbs at home. I have a feeling timewarner is throttling me which I isolated the issue to my isp. It works great on lte and when I'm streaming at work, getting speeds of 3000 kbps +

I want to use a VPN because of the slow speeds. How do I go about setting this up on my own network not at my dads house where the sling box is located. Would I have to configure my router?  Also I will not be using a PC to stream, just my streaming devices such as the firestick. Sorry I am a newbie to this.

Any info would help. Thanks!