20 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2010 2:31 PM by eferz RSS

ISP blocking Slingplayer and watch.slingbox.com?

donmcnamee1

Do you think my ISP blocking Slingplayer and watch.slingbox.com?

I have been using my Slingplayer application (Mac)  for over three years without fail. Woke up a day ago to find the application would not talk back with my Slingbox in Canada (I'm currently in New Zealand).
      Description of Problem:
      Launch Slingplayer, it attempts to make contact with slingbox overseas by using Sling ID. After several seconds it brings up a dialogue box asking for password (user or admin). I type in the correct password and it responds several seconds later with the same request, repeated. My iPhone Slingmobile app works however on the same network - but I believe the iPhone app is using http streaming, different protocols/ports.
      I have taken my laptop to friends house, using a different isp and Slingplayer application works fine - both slingplayer app and via browser. Using my macbook pro at work (corporate network, bypassing firewall), slingplayer and watch.slingbox.com work fine as well.
      I have tried three different devices on home network; mac mini, macbook pro and old powerbook - with different os builds but all running latest version of slingplayer for mac 1.0.10. and they do not work, showing the same password request. I have not made any home modem, network, os or security patch changes.
      I have tried setting a specific device to to act as DMZ server but this has not helped. I have VNC'd into a computer in Canada running Mac 1.0.10 slingplayer app build and it too works fine, compared to my own local issue. I have logged a support job with my isp, asking them if they have made any changes in the last few days, have they changed their terms and conditions, are they doing packet inspection - call is open and I expect it to escalate over coming days. Also logged support question with Sling.

my next steps and ideas are to:

1. borrow a modem/router and do a clean home isp test

2. remote into my parents pc and change slinbox port of 5001 to 443, for example in case my isp is blocking said port.

Has anyone heard of this happening?  I can confirm my slingbox passwords are good. I have changed them from remote pc into slingbox and the passwords take on reentry.

• Re: ISP blocking Slingplayer and watch.slingbox.com?
          eferz Expert

donmcnamee1 wrote:

my next steps and ideas are to:

1. borrow a modem/router and do a clean home isp test

2. remote into my parents pc and change slinbox port of 5001 to 443, for example in case my isp is blocking said port.

Has anyone heard of this happening?  I can confirm my slingbox passwords are good. I have changed them from remote pc into slingbox and the passwords take on reentry.

I think that you've got it pretty well covered.  I could add one other thing to that list, "Make sure that both UDP and TCP ports are port fowarded on your router.

Launch Slingplayer, it attempts to make contact with slingbox overseas by using Sling ID. After several seconds it brings up a dialogue box asking for password (user or admin). I type in the correct password and it responds several seconds later with the same request, repeated. My iPhone Slingmobile app works however on the same network - but I believe the iPhone app is using http streaming, different protocols/ports.

That would lead me to believe that maybe you're not being directed properly.  Perhaps you're being misdirected to a different device somewhere on the web.  Since the Slingplayer Mobile for iPhone and Slingplayer Desktop use different URLs for Sling Account access.  You might want to perform nsloopups of the URLs listed below from your computer's command line.  Then check your results with a nslookup web page to make sure you're not being misdirected to some wacky server that's storing passwords.

analytics.sling.com

autoupdate.sling.com

ms.sling.com

secure.sling.com

services.sling.com

sparcs.slingmedia.com

donmcnamee1

Thanks for the urls to test - will do so later today.

I've confirmed whilst at work that my slingbox does work fine via my corporate firewall, using same device to access while at home. So its not my device nor my slingbox. I'm taking a brandnew modem with clean config and will try at home tonight.

I changed my home dns from my isp to googles dns service - still no luck, so don't think it is a resolving issue.

I did some nslookups like you suggested. All of them look fine, except for two of them which seemed a bit odd. Will confirm, but that likely isn't the issue.

I learned this morning from a college that my isp has a deal with Sky, a sat service that offers online content - wonder if there is a conflict with the streaming protocal there.

eferz Expert

donmcnamee1 wrote:

I changed my home dns from my isp to googles dns service - still no luck, so don't think it is a resolving issue.

I did some nslookups like you suggested. All of them look fine, except for two of them which seemed a bit odd. Will confirm, but that likely isn't the issue.

Another test is to ping the URLs, then match the reference IP address from the pings against your nslookups.

Some trojans can redirect your functional URLs.  That's one way of testing it.

donmcnamee1
                      User issue - Slingplayer/Slingbox service - full writeup of issue and tests done:
                      I have been using my Slingplayer application on Mac platform for over three years without fail. I Woke up on 26/6/10 to find the application would not talk back with my Slingbox in Canada), currently in New Zealand.
                      Description of Problem:
                      After launching the Slingplayer client app on my Mac, it attempts to make contact with slingbox overseas by using a Sling ID (essentially a userid tied to a user and slingbox which slingmedia holds and by using a form of dynamic dns, puts the slingbox and user request together in a handshake to share signal and control rather than using a static ip to connect).
                      After several seconds the sling software brings up a dialogue box asking for password (user or admin). I type in the correct password and it responds several seconds later with the same request, repeated.
                      I have taken my laptop to friends house, using a different isp (Xtra) and same Slingplayer application works fine - both slingplayer app and via browser viewer. Using my macbook pro at work (corporate network, bypassing firewall) and using DTS as the isp, slingplayer and watch.slingbox.com work fine as well. Confirmed this again today. 29/6/10.
                      I have VNC'd into a computer in Canada running Mac Slingplayer app and it too works just fine compared to my personal home connection. Three different isps, no problems.
                      I have tried three different devices on personal home network; mac mini, macbook pro and old powerbook - with different os builds but all running latest version of slingplayer for mac 1.0.10. and they do not work, showing the same password request and not allowing stream to start.
                      I have not made any home modem, network, os or security patch changes.
                      I have tried setting a specific device to to act as DMZ default but this has not resolved issue, accounting for that ports could be the issue.
                      I have changed my modem/router default dns to googles, instead of getting from vodafone, to try and eliminate address resolution as a variable - still does not work.
                      I have used a brand new virgin modem, clean configuration with no special configuration as of 28/6/10 - test all the above devices by surfing, skyping etc (this all worked, except for Sling)  - still does not work, therefore eliminating my current home network configuration as a variable.
                      On 28/6/10 after 2100 hrs, I was able to get the slingplayer application to work after several attempts to login and stream. On each attempt, it would take several logins to get the stream to work.
                      On 29/6/10 after 1000hrs, I am no longer able to get a stream working. I am still able to get the slingplayer application and streaming to work from a variety of different locations, isps all using the same player and hardware - just not at my personal address.
                      Questions:
                      1. I believe the applicaition password request is a red herring. I believe that some packets are not making their way, or being returned - possibly a routing table issue with Vodefone ISP - have any changes been made to routing tables?
                      2. Could there be a correlation to services on offer, or in conflict, with SkyHDi service - which I DO NOT have? I understand Sky and vodafone offer video/movie streaming - could it be that vodafone network sees my incoming traffic and restricts?
                      3. Maybe a static ip at my end to try more testing, to eliminate and dhcp routing issues on the vodafone backbone?
                      NSLookup information:
                      I have done nslookups as well on the following Sling related urls on my home connection vs. a webhosted nslookup tool:
                      watch.slingbox.com - came back fine
                      analytics.sling.com - came back fine

ms.sling.com - came back fine

secure.sling.com - - came back fine

sparcs.slingmedia.com -came back fine

services.sling.com - did not come back as expected, different response from web vs. local
                      autoupdate.sling.com - did not come back as expected, different response from web vs. local
                          eferz Expert

donmcnamee1 wrote:

After launching the Slingplayer client app on my Mac, it attempts to make contact with slingbox overseas by using a Sling ID (essentially a userid tied to a user and slingbox which slingmedia holds and by using a form of dynamic dns, puts the slingbox and user request together in a handshake to share signal and control rather than using a static ip to connect).l

So, the basic process is that the Slingbox sends little information packets to ms.sling.com at intervals.  This allows the Sling Servers keep track your Slingbox's current IP public address by backtracking headers in the packet.  This information is stored in Sling Products Authentication and Registration Control System (sparcs) on sparcs.sling.com.  When you want to connect to your Slingbox, the Slingplayer sends a request to services.sling.com which queries sparcs.  It then gives returns your the Slingbox's public IP address based on the Sling Finder ID.  Then the Slingplayer client will attempt to connect to your Slingbox.   At least that's how I understand it works.

1. I believe the applicaition password request is a red herring. I believe that some packets are not making their way, or being returned - possibly a routing table issue with Vodefone ISP - have any changes been made to routing tables?

If there the changes were made somewhere other than your ISP, then I believe your friend would have also been affected.  It was a good test going to your friend's home and testing on a different service provider.  Which eliminates a lot out of the question.

2. Could there be a correlation to services on offer, or in conflict, with SkyHDi service - which I DO NOT have? I understand Sky and vodafone offer video/movie streaming - could it be that vodafone network sees my incoming traffic and restricts?

That's one of those "its possible, but not probable" things.  It really just sounds like mad ravings of a conspiracy theorist.  Always trying to find evil lurking behind the closed corporate door.

3. Maybe a static ip at my end to try more testing, to eliminate and dhcp routing issues on the vodafone backbone?

Well, for testing purposes you could ask someone at home in Canada to find out what the current public IP address is and connect to it. One of the best test is to have them go to (http://www.canyouseeme.org/).  They will be able to see their public IP address and test if the Slingbox's port is open.

I have done nslookups as well on the following Sling related urls on my home connection vs. a webhosted nslookup tool:
                          services.sling.com - did not come back as expected, different response from web vs. local
                          autoupdate.sling.com - did not come back as expected, different response from web vs. local

That's what I was worried about.  Because services.sling.com is effectively the Slingplayer's main portal into the Sling system.  One way to test this problem is to find out what DNS servers your friend is using then used those on your network and see if you experience difference.

donmcnamee1

going to try the following via my isp:

1. flush the cache that vodafone holds on my ip requests.
                              2. turn of the cache mechanism.
                              I understand it is used to speed up browsing, but it may be that the cache is getting in the way. I understand this can be managed at other other isp's.
                                  eferz Expert

I recommend in look at this guy's thread he had some pretty good ideas. (https://community.sling.com/message/9351#9351)

donmcnamee1

update 30/6/10:

I read that port 5001 is used by msn and yahoo messenger as well as some trojans - suspecting that vodafone is 'watching' this traffic. I changed ports on slingbox, with no change to functionality - see below.
                                      Slingplayer  does not work at another Vodafone Red customers home tested at 1700hrs on 29/6/10 -
                                      Slingplayer  does not work using a Vodafone USB stick
                                      Slingplayer does not work tethered to an Apple iPhone
                                      Slingplayer does not work even though I have changed the Slingbox port that it uses from 5001 to port 8080 (all other locations, still work). I did this by vnc to pc in Canada.
                                      Slingplayer works from a friends place in Seattle, Washington.
                                      Slingplayer works from a friends place in Philadelphia
                                      Slingplayer works from a friends place in London, UK
                                      Using an application called Little Snitch, I captured the ip and port requests, slingplayer still did not work:
                                      [30/06/10 9:19:54 AM]:
                                      action: allow
                                      process: /Applications/SlingPlayer.app/Contents/MacOS/SlingPlayer
                                      destination: 178.188.92.146
                                      port: any
                                      protocol: 6
                                      help: wants to connect to  178.188.92.146  using protocol TCP.
                                      destination: 174.129.15.220
                                      port: 80
                                      help: wants to connect to  ec2-174-129-15-220.compute-1.amazonaws.com  on TCP port 80 (http).
                                      destination: 174.129.200.121
                                      help: wants to connect to  ec2-174-129-200-121.compute-1.amazonaws.com  on TCP port 80 (http).
                                      destination: 174.129.200.122
                                      help: wants to connect to  ec2-174-129-200-122.compute-1.amazonaws.com  on TCP port 80 (http).
                                      destination: 174.129.200.131
                                      help: wants to connect to  ec2-174-129-200-131.compute-1.amazonaws.com  on TCP port 80 (http).
                                      destination: 174.129.200.133
                                      help: wants to connect to  ec2-174-129-200-133.compute-1.amazonaws.com  on TCP port 80 (http).
                                      destination: 174.129.218.72
                                      help: wants to connect to  ec2-174-129-218-72.compute-1.amazonaws.com  on TCP port 80 (http).
                                      destination: 174.129.221.149
                                      help: wants to connect to  ec2-174-129-221-149.compute-1.amazonaws.com  on TCP port 80 (http).
                                      destination: 174.129.249.132
                                      help: wants to connect to  ec2-174-129-249-132.compute-1.amazonaws.com  on TCP port 80 (http).
                                      destination: 174.129.29.104
                                      help: wants to connect to  ec2-174-129-29-104.compute-1.amazonaws.com  on TCP port 80 (http).
                                      destination: relay.sling.com
                                      help: wants to connect to  relay.sling.com  on TCP port 80 (http).
                                      help: wants to connect to  sparcs.slingmedia.com  on TCP port 80 (http).