2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2015 4:37 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

M1 help on controlling IR Blast

rlj
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Love the M1, my son attends college out of state and uses the Slingbox almost everyday, especially on Sundays so he can access the NFL Redzone as his school does not offer the option.

Here is my dilemma, I have a Crestron System in the house, all of our cable boxes are located in a rack in the basement and wired to the TV's around the house from there. The IR Blaster is strong on the M1, constantly changing channels on most of the other cable boxes in the rack when my son changes the channel via Slingbox. I've limited this to some degree by taping over the IR's on the other receivers, placing cardboard around the M1 and trying to shield the other receiver as much as possible, this has helped most of the time however on occasion the M1 IR blaster still changes channels on the other boxes.

Is there a better way to shield the other cable boxes? 

Any help would be appreciated...........thanks.

RJ

• Re: M1 help on controlling IR Blast
          ferguspa Apprentice

Does the Crestron system use IR to control the other cable boxes?  If not (e.g. the Crestron system uses serial cables), put electrical tape over the IR "eyes" of the receivers you wish to shield.

Barring that, can the receivers you wish to not* control be set to a different receiver address?  Sort of like how a sports bar would have to handle multiple receivers?

*It would normally be "change the receiver address of the receiver you wish to control independently", but Sling Inc. won't necessarily have alternate receiver remote control codes defined in its remote control database.  Therefore you'd need to leave the Sling-attached receiver on the "default" address and change all the rest of the receivers to the "non-default" address.

And if none of that works, you might just have to build a little (wooden?) cage to house the M1's IR transmitter and the receiver's IR "eye", preventing the IR signal from escaping.