7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2010 2:59 PM by eferz RSS

how do i get true full screen

jeepster69uk

just set up the slingbox pro hd, and can not get true full screen,the picture is tall but not wide

not  sure if is something i have to adjust on my laptop or if there is a setting on the slingbox watch menu, any one help please?

thanks

• Re: how do i get true full screen
          eferz Expert

There are different viewing modes you can try, just look through the menu.  You should see an option to change from Letterbox, Pillar, and other assortment of viewing preferences.

kikip

View

Video Zoom

Windowbox

When you first change the settings, the remote still shows; but, after a few seconds, the remote disappears; and, there is now a full screen.

Update:  Well, the above selection works on my desktop computer but doesn't work on my laptop.  Anybody got suggestions for the laptop?

eferz Expert

It actually depends on four things.

• Graphics sub-system of device running Slingplayer client

• Slingplayer client
                  • Web Slingplayer for Internet Explorer for PC
                  • Web Slingplayer for Firefox for PC
                  • Web Slingplayer for Firefox for Mac
                  • Web Slingplayer for Safari for Mac
                  • Slingplayer Desktop for PC
                  • Slingplayer Desktop for Mac
                  • Slingplayer Mobile for iPhone
                  • Slingplayer Mobile for Andriod
                  • Slingplayer Mobile for Blackberry
                  • Slingplayer Mobile for Windows Phone
                  • Slingplayer Mobile for Palm
                  • Slingplayer Mobile for Symbian

• Video Source on Slingbox
                  • Component
                  • S-Video
                  • Composite
                  • ANT IN

• In coming display ratio of set-top box
                  • High Definition
                  • Standard Definition
                    kikip

eferz: I can figure out two of the four criteria.  How doI figure out the graphic sub-system?  Slingplayer Desktop for PC/Composite are the answers of the next two.  How do you determine the In-coming display ratio of set-top box?  Thanks

eferz Expert

The graphic sub-system will vary upon the OS and hardware.  It is important because the Slingbox actually has a fixed encoding resolution and does not "resize" the picture.  Instead the resizing is of the display is a function of the device's graphic subsystem.

The composite and S-video input have a fixed 4:3 aspect, whereas the Component input has a fixed 16:9 aspect.  Showing a high-definition (16:9) from the composite and S-video inputs will show horizontal bars around the top and bottom of the picture.  Whereas, showing a standard defintion (4:3) from the Component inputs will show vertical bars around the left and right side of the picture.

kikip

You state:  The graphic sub-system will vary upon the OS and hardware.  It is  important because the Slingbox actually has a fixed encoding resolution       and does not "resize" the picture.  Instead the resizing is of the  display is a function of the device's graphic subsystem.

I ask:  how do you find out this information?  OS is Vista but how do you deterine the graphic sub-system hardware?

You state:   The  composite and S-video input have a fixed 4:3 aspect, whereas the  Component input has a fixed 16:9 aspect.  Showing a high-definition  (16:9) from the composite and S-video inputs will show horizontal bars  around the top and bottom of the picture.  Whereas, showing a standard  defintion (4:3) from the Component inputs will show vertical bars around  the left and right side of the picture.

I state:  I have the vertical bars on both sides of my picture, but I have a composite input. At least that's what show on the Set Up Assistant.

It's obvious from this and other postings that you have a plethora of knowledge on this and other matters regarding Slingbox/Slingplayer.  If you don't have the time to break this down for a grandmother, I'll understand.  But I am truly interested in understanding how to change things (if I can) to get a full screen.

Thanks!

eferz Expert

kikip wrote:

It's obvious from this and other postings that you have a plethora of knowledge on this and other matters regarding Slingbox/Slingplayer.  If you don't have the time to break this down for a grandmother, I'll understand.  But I am truly interested in understanding how to change things (if I can) to get a full screen.

Sorry, if I didn't explain it fully.  Please continue to ask questions, as I'll do my best to answer them at the best of my ability.

kikip wrote:

You state:  The graphic sub-system will vary upon the OS and hardware.  It is  important because the Slingbox actually has a fixed encoding resolution       and does not "resize" the picture.  Instead the resizing is of the  display is a function of the device's graphic subsystem.

I ask:  how do you find out this information?  OS is Vista but how do you deterine the graphic sub-system hardware?

Vista's graphics subsystem, once codenamed Avalon now formally known as the Windows Presentation Foundation.  It's a complicated framework that relies on several standards such as Direct-X and the device drivers for the video card.

To see the hardware iteration, right-click on the Computer or My Computer icon from the desktop and select Properties from the floating menu, then click on Device Manager in the left-hand pane of the next window.

You may or may not get an indication that "Windows needs your permission to continue" if you do click "Continue" this is part of the User Account Control (UAC) alterting you that the process is assuming an administrative role instead of a user role.

You'll then see a window with a hardware tree that goes downward.  Clicking on the [+] will expand the branches, the one relevant to your graphics hardware should be listed under "Display adapters"

You state:   The  composite and S-video input have a fixed 4:3 aspect, whereas the  Component input has a fixed 16:9 aspect.  Showing a high-definition  (16:9) from the composite and S-video inputs will show horizontal bars  around the top and bottom of the picture.  Whereas, showing a standard  defintion (4:3) from the Component inputs will show vertical bars around  the left and right side of the picture.

I state:  I have the vertical bars on both sides of my picture, but I have a composite input. At least that's what show on the Set Up Assistant.

Hmm... take a look at the following pictures, they are amalgamations containing six different screenshots each.  If you click on them, you should be able to see the white line seperation between each screenshot.

aspect-ratio-composite.jpg

(above)

Screenshot Legend of S-Video & Composite

4:3 Channel -   Standard16:9 Channel -   Standard
                                4:3 Channel -   Letterbox16:9 Channel -   Letterbox
                                4:3 Channel -   Pillar16:9 Channel - Pillar

Screenshot Legend of Component

(below)

aspect-ratio-component.jpg

On the top picture, you'll see how TNT and TNT-HD is presented over composite and S-Video.  The bottom picture is showing USA and USA-HD presented over component.  The left side of both pictures is showing standard definition, while the right is high definition.  The first row of each picture is showing the standard zoom.  The middle row shows how the letterbox zoom affects the picture.  The final row demonstrates the pillarbox zoom.

If you switch back and forth between the juxapositions, you'll be able to observe the difference of the visual presentation between the different connections and how the different zooms affect them.  In my opinion the best possible picture is obtain by viewing HD content over component using the letterbox zoom, while SD content is best viewed over S-Video or Composite using the standard zoom.