12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2015 9:33 PM by mynetdude RSS

How to reset or login to Slingbox 500? Does not seem possible

mynetdude
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I see that slingbox.com does NOT recommend that I use the slingbox desktop player to watch slingbox on windows... so its "N/R" why? I don't want to use my web browser.

The slingplayer wants my password; and then I tried using the PW with my account, that don't work then I find out that I need to edit my password on the slingbox; no can do there's no option to do it from the directory in the account!

So what do I do?

• Re: How to reset or login to Slingbox 500? Does not seem possible
          alanrichey42 Master

Sling designed the desktop player for the new M1 and that is all that is officially supported.  As you have found, it works OK for other Slingboxes, but Sling will not help if you have a problem.

The Slingbox 500 does not use passwords so I am a bit mystified as to why it is asking for one.     At what stage of the watching process are you getting this ?  Screenshot ?

mynetdude

Alan Richey wrote:

Sling designed the desktop player for the new M1 and that is all that is officially supported.  As you have found, it works OK for other Slingboxes, but Sling will not help if you have a problem.

The Slingbox 500 does not use passwords so I am a bit mystified as to why it is asking for one.     At what stage of the watching process are you getting this ?  Screenshot ?

Hey sorry it took me a bit to reply... I had to add a few things to my profile LOL... there's NOTHING that mentions that! LOL **** slingbox can sure make things difficult!

So are you saying that the M1 is newer than the 500? Then why would I waste all that money on the 500? It seems like the 500 had more features than the M1?

As for the password; it only asks me in the desktop app since you said it is not supported on the 500 then kind of a moot point isn't it? I can watch my slingbox via the browser, but I was hoping to use a desktop app instead.

alanrichey42 Master

So are you saying that the M1 is newer than the 500? Then why would I waste all that money on the 500? It seems like the 500 had more features than the M1?

Sling brought out the 350 and the 500 at the same time, as replacements for the Solo and Pro-HD.    Then, for reasons they have never explained (they never explain ANYTHING), they replaced the 350 with the M1.

As for the password; it only asks me in the desktop app since you said it is not supported on the 500 then kind of a moot point isn't it? I can watch my slingbox via the browser, but I was hoping to use a desktop app instead.

No really, don't confuse 'supported' and 'working'.   You can watch the 500 perfectly well on the desktop app, but Sling will not answer any questions or support requests.   And it still doesn't ask for a password for me, are you sure it isn't just asking you to login to your account ?

mynetdude

Alan Richey wrote:

Sling brought out the 350 and the 500 at the same time, as replacements for the Solo and Pro-HD.    Then, for reasons they have never explained (they never explain ANYTHING), they replaced the 350 with the M1.

No really, don't confuse 'supported' and 'working'.   You can watch the 500 perfectly well on the desktop app, but Sling will not answer any questions or support requests.   And it still doesn't ask for a password for me, are you sure it isn't just asking you to login to your account ?

That's what I was thinking too; I tried logging into my account, it won't do it not sure how/why? It just asks for a PW; it does recognize my slingbox as "Shannon's slingbox"

alanrichey42 Master

Sudden thought.    You are talking about the new standalone Desktop app for the M1 are you ?    If you are talking about the old one (2.0.4) that was discontinued a few years ago, then yes, it definitely does NOT support the 500 and will ask for a password.  

You can get the new Desktop player by tapping on Products and Slingplayer Apps at the top of the page.

mynetdude

Alan Richey wrote:

Sudden thought.    You are talking about the new standalone Desktop app for the M1 are you ?    If you are talking about the old one (2.0.4) that was discontinued a few years ago, then yes, it definitely does NOT support the 500 and will ask for a password. 

You can get the new Desktop player by tapping on Products and Slingplayer Apps at the top of the page.

Yeah I downloaded the newest one; but didn't know it was for the M1 I'll check again; thanks

mynetdude

Alan Richey wrote:

I did that and there's only one version; and its the one I have, and does not support anything but the M1 so it looks like there's no standalone player for now for anything else and have to use the browser... WTG sling for killing my interest... there's another brand of a similar product that I should have gone with but no sling is well known but I didn't think that it would be this difficult nor did I think I'd have to spend $15 for EACH app... I am sorely disappointed in this... LOL I won't be recommending sling at all.

alanrichey42 Master

Odd.   I shall keeping watching my 500 through the Desktop Player though.  As you say, much better than using a browser.

mynetdude

Alan Richey wrote:

Odd.   I shall keeping watching my 500 through the Desktop Player though.  As you say, much better than using a browser.

Odd cuz I can only find ONE version of the windows app; the win8 version is NOT the same, and it costs $$$ the desktop app is the ONLY one that is free; the rest of them cost money which I hate... I hate it! I paid $250 for something I can barely USE!

ferguspa Apprentice

To confirm, this is the "Slingplayer for Desktop (PC)" you currently have downloaded and installed?

At least part of the "N/R" status of non-Slingbox M1's and "Slingplayer for Desktop" is that Slingplayer for Desktop isn't capable of setting up any Slingbox besides the M1.  It isn't even capable of setting up the SlingTV/500.

mynetdude

ferguspa . wrote:

To confirm, this is the "Slingplayer for Desktop (PC)" you currently have downloaded and installed?

At least part of the "N/R" status of non-Slingbox M1's and "Slingplayer for Desktop" is that Slingplayer for Desktop isn't capable of setting up any Slingbox besides the M1.  It isn't even capable of setting up the SlingTV/500.

I couldn't find THAT one; I got the sling PLAYER not the sling Desktop...

Ah I didn't care about setting it up from the PC, I did that right from the TV itself since it needed my wifi password; gonna switch it to ethernet as soon as I get the cable fixed; gotta call someone in who has tools for that since my floor guy ruined it so either we have to replace the end (which I know can be done) OR we're going to have to replace the whole cable which is sadly going to cost a bit ($200); but the floor guy is paying the bill not me! (I asked him to make the hole bigger, but he refused LOL he'll never get a job from me again).

I'll report back as soon as I know it works

mynetdude

mynetdude wrote:

ferguspa . wrote:

I couldn't find THAT one; I got the sling PLAYER not the sling Desktop...

Ah I didn't care about setting it up from the PC, I did that right from the TV itself since it needed my wifi password; gonna switch it to ethernet as soon as I get the cable fixed; gotta call someone in who has tools for that since my floor guy ruined it so either we have to replace the end (which I know can be done) OR we're going to have to replace the whole cable which is sadly going to cost a bit ($200); but the floor guy is paying the bill not me! (I asked him to make the hole bigger, but he refused LOL he'll never get a job from me again).

I'll report back as soon as I know it works

and so it does

Thanks now maybe I might get the app; since I don't watch stuff like that on my phone I prefer to do it on my tablet still dismayed with the $15 price tag after spending money on hardware.