14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2011 1:21 PM by alanrichey42 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Convert Slingplayer for Windows Mobile to Android?

docprego

I upgraded from a Windows Mobile phone to the EVO 4G.  Do I have to pay another $30 for software I already purchased?

• Re: Convert Slingplayer for Windows Mobile to Android?
          radi0chik

That's pretty lame. I bought  a license which has been transferred to TWO different devices so far over the years. Each time I upgraded the phone and had to re-acquire a license to work on the new phone. Granted they weren't Android phones, as they didn't have a player for that yet. Can't sling at least have us turn in our codes for our previous versions and give us 10 bux off or something? Guess I'll head over to the windows mobile part of the forums and see if anyone wants a WinMo license...

alanrichey42 Master

radi0chik wrote:

That's pretty lame. I bought  a license which has been transferred to TWO different devices so far over the years. Each time I upgraded the phone and had to re-acquire a license to work on the new phone. Granted they weren't Android phones, as they didn't have a player for that yet. Can't sling at least have us turn in our codes for our previous versions and give us 10 bux off or something? Guess I'll head over to the windows mobile part of the forums and see if anyone wants a WinMo license...

But were the new phones running the same Operating System ?  (Windows Mobile by the sound of it)

As I said in a previous post, I also develop for multiple platforms so am in the same position as Sling.  Now, if you had bought one of my apps a few years back for a PPC2002 PDA, I would have subsequently given you a free upgrade for PPC 2003, Windows Mobile 5, then 6 then 6.1 and now 6.5.   The reason for that is that only minor tweaks were needed to the program to keep it running on this platform as the Operating System was upgraded.

But if you suddenly bought an iPhone and wanted my app, then that is now a completely new program I will have spent months writing and testing, so I think I am justified in asking for a new licence fee ?  Surely the fact it happenes to have the same name and capabilities as the Windows version is no reason to expect a free licence ?

It's a bit like going to Microsoft and saying because you have Office 2007 for a PC you should get a free licence for Office 2007 for the Mac  (probably a bad example as maybe they don't do Office for the Mac , but you get my drift)

Cheers

Al

tedkord Newbie

But were the new phones running the same Operating System ?  (Windows Mobile by the sound of it)

As I said in a previous post, I also develop for multiple platforms so am in the same position as Sling.  Now, if you had bought one of my apps a few years back for a PPC2002 PDA, I would have subsequently given you a free upgrade for PPC 2003, Windows Mobile 5, then 6 then 6.1 and now 6.5.   The reason for that is that only minor tweaks were needed to the program to keep it running on this platform as the Operating System was upgraded.

But if you suddenly bought an iPhone and wanted my app, then that is now a completely new program I will have spent months writing and testing, so I think I am justified in asking for a new licence fee ?  Surely the fact it happenes to have the same name and capabilities as the Windows version is no reason to expect a free licence ?

It's a bit like going to Microsoft and saying because you have Office 2007 for a PC you should get a free licence for Office 2007 for the Mac  (probably a bad example as maybe they don't do Office for the Mac , but you get my drift)

Cheers

Al

Again, immaterial to the discussion. When I bought SPM, it was with the promise that I could transfer it to any subsequent phone. No mention was made of OS needing to be the same. In fact, they made a selling point of OS not mattering - be it WinMo, BB, Palm. Now, they've gone back on their word.

Poor customer service. It's like taking your car in to the dealer for warranty work, and they tell you they've decided not to cover that particular repair since your purchase.

alanrichey42 Master
                      When I bought SPM, it was with the promise that I could transfer it to any subsequent phone. No mention was made of OS needing to be the same. In fact, they made a selling point of OS not mattering - be it WinMo, BB, Palm. Now, they've gone back on their word.

Now that is interesting, I wasn't aware of that.   Can you point me to the documentation where that was stated, as I don't recall that from when I purchased SPM for WM ?

Mind you, sticking up for Sling again, probably the reason they did not mention any other OS to me was because at that early stage the iOS and Android players did not even exist so they could not mention them.

cg1492

Sorry sling media, you got my 30$ once and will not get it again.  I pruchased a liscense that will work on 4 different platforms and thats it.  Poor customer service.  I will just use my computer and sprint tv from now on.

jimbridger

What I found most shocking is that so many users suggest that they are simply buying a license, and that said license is hardly anything at all.  The truth - as has been pointed out by too few - is that you are purchasing and installing software that also provides you with a license for using that software.  A program written to be supported by the Android OS has little in common - in terms of coding - with a program written for the WinMo OS.  You don't purchase PC software and expect it to work on a Mac, or on a Unix system.  You are still capable of installing the software on compatible OS's, but the software that you purchased and downloaded is not compatible with your new OS.  I could MAYBE see the point if you were simply purchasing a license as you suggest, but that isn't the case.  You are also purchasing and installing software.

I found this thread because I too recently swiched from a WinMo 6.5 phone to a phone running Android 1.5 (not because of anything I had against the WinMo device...it just didn't survive a trip to the Caribbean and my carrier didn't have the upgrade I wanted in stock).  I came here expecting to have to re-purchase the software, but hoping that that wasn't the case.  I can't say that I wouldn't have been happier to have saved the fee, but cest la vie.

tedkord Newbie

jimbridger wrote:

What I found most shocking is that so many users suggest that they are simply buying a license, and that said license is hardly anything at all.  The truth - as has been pointed out by too few - is that you are purchasing and installing software that also provides you with a license for using that software.  A program written to be supported by the Android OS has little in common - in terms of coding - with a program written for the WinMo OS.  You don't purchase PC software and expect it to work on a Mac, or on a Unix system.  You are still capable of installing the software on compatible OS's, but the software that you purchased and downloaded is not compatible with your new OS.  I could MAYBE see the point if you were simply purchasing a license as you suggest, but that isn't the case.  You are also purchasing and installing software.

I found this thread because I too recently swiched from a WinMo 6.5 phone to a phone running Android 1.5 (not because of anything I had against the WinMo device...it just didn't survive a trip to the Caribbean and my carrier didn't have the upgrade I wanted in stock).  I came here expecting to have to re-purchase the software, but hoping that that wasn't the case.  I can't say that I wouldn't have been happier to have saved the fee, but cest la vie.

Nothing you stated matters. When I bought my original SP Mobile license, I was told I would be able to transfer it to any subsequent phone I upgraded to (so long as they had version for it, of course). That guarantee was part of my purchase. It was one of the factors in my decision to go with Sling in the first place.

As I stated before, when I upgrade to an Android phone, if I am required to pay $30 more for another version, I will either sell or give away my WinMo license. So if Sling thinks they're making an extra sale with this dishonest policy, they'll also be losing another sale - break even. They're also ensuring that when my Pro HD becomes obsolete or broken, I will be going with a competitor's product, and passing my story along to anyone who wishes to hear it. I won't do business with a dishonest seller.

I've put off the problem for now by buying a more recent WinMo phone. Android needs to cook just a bit longer, but it's almost ready.

cg1492

Untill sling is willing to buy back old keys or I can sell my origianl  good on 4 os's key I will not buy the android version.  Hey blackberry  has its own market place why do they get to be exempt?  Is it that  androids and iphones are way outselling the bb's?  Instead of recharging  your old customers you should concentrate on the new ones.