1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 1, 2015 7:16 PM by ferguspa RSS

Optimizing frame rate with m1 and streaming devices

Paneerlovr

Hi guys,

I called sling support and they didn't really have any clues as to what I can do, so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm using the SlingPlayer iphone app to cast tv directly to either a roku LT or to a chromecast. My wifi signal strength is strong and atleast on the roku I can press the * button and it tells me it is downloading at 5032 kbps and it's displaying at 720 (p or I, I'm not sure).

Why then does the casting in fast moving scenes appear to suffer from a sort of "trail" effect? For example, if I'm watching the news, and the news anchor is moving his hands quickly, it almost seems like he has many many hands. As if the refresh rate is poor I'm fast moving scenes.

I've tried with the roku LT and also the chromecast and they both seem the same. It's fine but in fast moving scenes, I notice the refresh rate being poor. The tech on the phone asked me to play a video with the iPhone and tell him how many dots I see when going to the options screen, I saw 3 blue dots, which is supposed to be good. He asked me to add some port forwarding settings on my wifi router and my Verizon router, on port 5301, but that didn't seem to change anything. In fact the guy on the phone said my slingbox is still doing RELAY (not entirely sure what that means and how to check that though).

My slingbox setup: I have a slingbox m1 connected directly to a dual band wireless router via an ethernet cable to a LAN port. The router is a netgear nighthawk r7000 router. That router is connected to my Verizon fios router that converts a coaxial connection to ethernet. The fios router has wireless, but I've turned it off because my netgear does the wireless for me. A speedtest on my iPhone reveals I get around 48mbps download and upload speeds to the internet.

Any help would be much appreciated!

• Re: Optimizing frame rate with m1 and streaming devices
          ferguspa Apprentice

From what you said, cabling goes as follows:

Outside -coax-> Verizon router -ethernet-> NetGear Nighthawk R7000 -ethernet-> Slingbox M1

If both the Verizon FiOS router and the NetGear router are both routing (and likely providing NAT) you'll need to:

1. Create a DHCP IP reservation for the Slingbox M1 on the NetGear router
          2. Obtain the "WAN" IP address of the NetGear router
          3. Forward TCP and UDP for port 5301 from the FiOS router to the NetGear router's WAN IP address
          4. Forward TCP and UDP for port 5301 from the NetGear router to the Slingbox M1's reserved DHCP IP

Thus traffic that's incoming to port 5301 on the FiOS router is forwarded to the NetGear router, which then forwards it to the Slingbox.  I don't know if this will help your issue, but it should help get rid of the relay connection.

Here's Sling Inc.'s attempt at explaining the same thing: Slingbox.com - Help setting up Internet Viewing when you have multiple routers