4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2015 12:58 PM by ferguspa RSS

Slingbox 350 with antenna

glrberg
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Can I use a Slingbox 350 with an antenna?  I have an HD tv and TiVo Premiere, but get local channels through an antenna.  Can I use the 350 with this setup?

Thanks

• Re: Slingbox 350 with antenna
          alanrichey42 Master

You need some additional box with a tuner and a composite/component output.   Most of us have an old VCR in the attic we can use ?

glrberg

Thanks for your prompt reply!!

Will the stations come in from the antenna or the tuner in the vcr?   I have one local station that is fussy and only comes in on the antenna in one room.  In addition to the regular SlingBox features, one of the things I want it to do is help me watch that station in other places.

Thanks

alanrichey42 Master

I have no idea.   Basically the 350 does not have a built-in tuner and can only take a video input in the form of composite or component.   How you get the signal is up to you, I just suggested using an old VCR as one option.  Basically any box that takes a coax input and has composite or component plugs on the back for output will do.

ferguspa Apprentice

The stations will be received by the tuner in the VCR.

That said, if you're in the United States and you're looking at over-the-air (OTA) reception you'll need an ATSC tuner (digital OTA TV signals) and likely the tuner in the VCR is NTSC (analog OTA TV signals).  To receive ATSC (digital) OTA broadcasts, you'd need a digital tuner that converts to analog signals such as this one, but note I DO NOT know if that tuner can be controlled with a Slingbox.