12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2017 6:14 PM by Djlexus RSS

Slingbox on Roku: SlingApp can see Roku but video signal won't play

cjkrolak

I have Slingbox 350 and a couple of Roku boxes (vs. 2XS and 3).  Everything is on the same subnet.  Android app controls the SlingApp on Roku but the video signal never plays on the Roku box.

When I start up the Android app (also on the same subnet) and I select the "play on" button in the upper left hand corner of the app, I see 3 choice, "Android" which is selected (my phone), and the two Roku box IDs, both of these have a warning triangle next to them instead of a checkbox (an indicator that something is not quite right).  When I select the Roku box then the SlingApp, warns me that the Slingbox application is now being installed on the Roku (even thought it's already installed) and then the Roku application automatically starts, so it's evident that the android app is controlling the Roku, it seems like either the video signal is not the correct format for Roku, a port containing the video signal (but not the control signals) is being blocked, or some other incompatibility exists. 

As I stated before, all devices are on the same subnet, I have the latest available apps and firmware installed on all devices.  UPNP is enabled on the router and port 5021 is showing up as being registered by the Slingbox.  I've tried opening the ports on the router firewall (even though both the slingbox and roku are behind the firewall) this made no difference.  The slingbox and one Roku are both hard-wired to the router switch so there is no wireless signal or subnet between them.

I've tried 2 different Roku's, both ethernet and wifi, I've also tried 2 different Android phones.

Slingbox plays fine on both Android phones both on wifi and on the cell service.  Slingbox also plays fine to the computer.

hardware:

Slingbox 350 w/firmware 1.5.85 and using component input

Roku 2XS and 3 with latest firmware and latest Slingplayer app installed, ethernet and wifi

Samsung Galaxy S3 with SlingPlayer version 2.11.1 for android

Any Suggestions?

• Re: Slingbox on Roku: SlingApp can see Roku but video signal won't play
          ACC6158147

maybe try deleting and reinstalling the slingbox app on the roku.  I've just installed mine and all is good.  Performance seems solid.  The white balance seems to be a bit to high though.  I'm new to the roku but if it has a reset to defaults option, try that.

cjkrolak

Thanks for your suggestion, I tried removing and reinstalling the Roku slingbox app on one of the roku units but that didn't help.

I've since tried accessing on a 3rd roku box at a different house, that fails with the same failure mode.  That leads me to believe that the problem is in the common denominators, either the Slingbox 350 itself can't stream to Roku using my video cable choice (component) or the network providing Slingbox to the rest of the world is blocking a critical port.

Is anyone else streaming a Roku 350 using component cable input to Roku 2XS or Roku 3 boxes?

ACC6158147

Yes, I have a 350 connected with component to the STB.  All is working fine.

"When I start up the Android app (also on the same subnet) and I select the "play on" button in the upper left hand corner of the app,"

This does not sound like mine on my android.  The cast icon is on the same bar as the play,  pause, FF, RW bar.  It is a icon of waves that I click on and choose the roku 3.  I don't know if this may be do to different versions of the android os? I am using KitKat

Can you control your roku with the android app?

Might check for firewalls and disable them then test.  Being all internal I would not think this would be a issue but something is blocking you.

I know that with mine, if I use the HDMI cable and component out of my STB, it causes problems. 

Try Hardwiring the Roku to the router.  (My Roku is running wireless so I know it will work that way but just for testing)

Try a different router.  My netgear N router worked but performance was pitiful.  I moved to a linksys AC router and even the chromecast is playing much better. 

If your slingbox is less then a year old, I would give them a call and see if they can help, or roku ( I haven't tried their tech support yet)

Im interested to hear what your fix is going to be.  Keep us updated.

cjkrolak

Still a problem.  I'm suspecting that there's an incompatibility between the Android app version and the Roku app version, even though everything is fresh installs and I've already done factory resets on both the Roku and Slingbox.

phone is android 4.4.2 (Kitkat), tablet is android 4.0.4 (ICS).  On both my tablet and phone the selection box to stream to roku is in the upper left hand corner of the display, not next to the play buttons.  Slingplayer version 2.11.1 for android.

Slingbox streaming directly to TV and also to the Slingbox web site works fine.

The android app does recognize the Roku boxes nearly every time, but as I stated before I always get a triangle with exclamation point next to the Roku box name on Android.  That tells me that something is amiss.  I also get a message on the android that Slingplayer is now being installed on my Roku (it is not, it's already installed) so that suggests maybe an incompatibility between the Android and Roku players, but both installs were done on the same day.

I've tried moving the Slingbox to a different router (no help).

I've had both the Roku and Slingbox hardwire connected to the same router switch (no help)

I've tried both G and N wireless networks, with WPA2 encryption and with no encryption (no difference)

I've tried the different video quality settings on the android app (no difference)

I've tried unplugging one Roku so that there's only 1 Roku on the wireless network (no help)

Is there any specific settings required in the advanced wireless settings to enable streaming?  WMM, etc?

What do the triangles next to the Roku devices mean?  The devices were auto detected by the android app.

cjkrolak

I've also tried the Iphone app now, but same symptoms persist, the Roku boxes show up intermittently in the SlingApp, often the SlingApp tells me it has to download the Roku channel on the Roku boxes (even though it's already installed), and the streaming to Roku never works.  Streaming to Iphones, Androids, and PCs has always worked flawlessley, so I'm guessing that something in the Slingbox 350 itself or the network is blocking the streaming trafffic.  Router reports port 5201 being claimed in UPNP by the Slingbox.  Anyone have any ideas what to try?

mike0001

same problem   and it worked for a couple months before the triangle appeared next to roku box on my android phone.. appears the phone is not communicating with android device..have tried resets ,,,same problem...help please