10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 26, 2014 7:03 AM by RSS

SKY Box RF output

erylparry
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Can I match a Skybox to my Slingbox Pro HD using the RF input. I have connected the two and the Slingbox finds the signal but not the option of matching it to a Sky Remote Control. The selections available are External Box/Analogue Cable or Aerial or Digital Aerial as the Slingbox thinks I am connecting via an aerial I guess.

This is my second connection to the Slingbox, the composite is taken up by my main SKY+, there is no S-video output from my basic Sky Box.

Any suggestions?

• Re: SKY Box RF output
          alanrichey42 Master

You have misunderstood how the system works.   The RF OUT on your Skybox is simply a pass-through from the RF IN.    So you have effectively plugged your RF IN on the Slingbox straight into the wall, the presence of the SkyBox is irrelevant.

So during the setup just select Aerial and you should be good to go.

Thanks for your reply.  You are incorrect, the RF OUT on the Skybox brings out the selected channel AS WELL as being a loop through, therefore with NO connection to the RF IN on my SKY box the only signal that comes out is the SELECTED SKY CHANNEL. The Slingbox search finds and displays this channel but the problem I have is that I can not match up this signal to a Remote Control that can switch channels. The Slingbox thinks  that this signal is coming in via an analogue aerial which is not the case and only shows a simple channel up/down remote which does not control the Skybox.

alanrichey42 Master

Interesting.  I am on my 4th Skybox and I didn't know that.  In fact I don't see how it happens, what Channel does the selected Channel come out on ?

In that case, why haven't you told the Setup the truth, that you are getting the RF signal via another box, and then specifying the Sky Box ?

As a matter of interest, as both boxes use the same IR codes how do you avoid the remotes switching both boxes ?

To set the output channel for the RF you go to SERVICES - SETTINGS and then enter the Service Code 0-1-Select and from there you can change it from the default setting of  68 (I think) and also switch the 9 volt output (needed to supply the mouse channel controller or a Sky pass through RF distribution amplifier)  from the RF 2 output socket .

I have tried selecting an External Box and the search finds the 1 channel, the selected Sky one, but with a simple channel up/down remote showing top left but there is no means of getting it to operate my Sky box and there is no option to change the remote.

I use a Sky+ HD as my main input and the older standard Sky box as the secondary therefore the remotes only control their own boxes.

Thanks Eryl

alanrichey42 Master

Interesting, when I get back home I must try that.

I have tried selecting an External Box and the search finds the 1 channel, the selected Sky one, but with a simple channel up/down remote showing top left but there is no means of getting it to operate my Sky box and there is no option to change the remote.

Odd.   I just reconfigured my Pro-HD, selected the coax inoput, selected the External Box option and it came up with the screen asking me for the name of the box.  I typed in Sky and there were the options.    I wonder why you are not seeing that ?

use a Sky+ HD as my main input and the older standard Sky box as the secondary therefore the remotes only control their own boxes.

I realised that, it is just that my Sky+HD box and my old Sky Box use the same codes, so if i use one remote it switches both boxes.

Thanks. I did input the name of my Skybox and as normal it found the remote, so I can use the remote to switch the Skybox commands (I can see that it turns it ON and OFF when I select those) but I get the NO VIDEO SIGNAL on the screen and I have used the 'Scan the Inputs' option which scans through all the Sources but it only finds my Sky+ HD signal. I have checked the lead from the Skybox by connecting it to a TV via RF and it works fine, but nothing through the Slingbox RF input.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, this is getting even more confusing, I thought you said that originally you saw the output from the Skybox ?   or did it disappear when you selected External box ?

But as we discussed earlier, you told me that with the appropriate settings you could get the RF output to be the selected Sky channel.  But it must output that on a specific digital channel (In the USA these type of boxes use Channel 3 or 4), so you will have to select the correct channel on the Pro-HD tuner to receive that signal.   At the moment I am 3000 miles from my Pro-HD and it is refusing to cooperate so I cannot check it, but surely, during the setup process, it must at some point ask you what channel the Sky Box is transmitting on or it does a sweep to try and find it ?

erylparry

Sorry for the confusion. When I select Analogue Aerial or Analogue Cable the search finds the Sky channel and assigns a basic channel up/down remote (presumably in case the search had found 2 or more Analogue channels) but states that if this remote is not sufficient select BACK and a different input to retry. When I select the External Box and input the Amstrad Sky Remote, it brings that up, and as I said it will switch my sky box off and on but it shows NO VIDEO SIGNAL on the screen presumably because it is now searching for a video signal and not an RF signal. I will persevere and keep you updated. Many thanks.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, that makes sense.   Interesting that it produces an Analog output, I would have expected Digital.  When it the Channel what number is allocated ?  68 ?  I don't suppose you have any control of that ?

I still can't talk to my Pro-HD but I ran the configuration on my Classic and as you say, at no time does it ask you what channel the external box is using.  I've got an awful suspicion with Sling being 100% USA-centric that they may just check Channels USA 3 & 4 and see if there is any video on that.  I would suggest asking the moderators but I suspect we are way beyond their level of understanding,   But if they do know the answer I would be pleasantly surprised ??

Basically we need some method of selecting the correct Channel on the Pro-HD Tuner so it sees the analog output of the Sky Box.    How about if you set it up using Aerial, finish the setup, watch for a bit and then go back and do the External Box setup and hope it stays on the same channel ?

Fascinating stuff.   Unfortunately;y you are trying to do smoothing Sling never envisaged.

BTW, there is a solution, although it's not ideal.   Set it up as External Aerial then setup the Component output as the Skybox.  You can then select the Channel you want using the Component input (admittedly without seeing the video) and then you can switch back to coax to watch it,

I have managed to get a video signal from my basic Skybox (my secondary) and this was by using a Scart to S-video cable into the S-video of the Slingbox. It's not brilliant but will do for now. The other option would be to connect my secondary Skybox output into a separate Slingbox but I've read that can be a bit complicated to set up.