6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2014 7:30 PM by ferguspa RSS

"conflict" issues

aziron

I have a couple month old sling 350.  Previous to this one, if the "main user" was watching I was able to remotely turn them off and watch on my phone.  Now if I try and watch on my phone while they are watching, I get "Conflict. Another authorized user is viewing this sling box."  My only option is to hit "ok".  How can I turn them off to allow me to watch s I used to be prompted to do before?  I have a Samsung galaxy S 3.  I have already uninstalled/re installed the app.

• Re: "conflict" issues
          stanley.sling Apprentice

Hello aziron,

The reason why you are not able to boot the other user off the Slingbox 350 is because, you are a guest user to the Slingbox. The Slingbox owner (whose account the Slingbox 350 is set up under) maintains the administrative rights to the Slingbox and thus, cannot be booted from the connection by (you) a guest user.

Stanley

Sling Media Forum Moderation Team

aziron

Stanley,

On my previous sling I had it set up the same way with my brother as primary (in PA) and me in GA.  I would get prompted if I wanted to disconnect whoever was using it at the time, the other person would also get the same prompt.  RE this happening yesterday, I started by watching on my iMAC and didn't turn it off.  Ithen left the hose and wanted to continue watching through my phone, that is when I got the  "conflict" message.  So basically I was trying to shut off my mac log in "remotely" to watch on my phone but wasn't prompted.

So whereas I was prompted on with the older sling to disconnect whoever, whoever, you are telling me this new model doesn't allow that?  If that's the case, I'm basically out of luck if anyone doesn't disconnect the unit from whatever device they are watching, correct?  If so, why would Sling take a step backward with that?

Thanks

stanley.sling Apprentice

This is because the new Slingboxes have to be set up on a specific account and manually given guest access. With the older Slingboxes, there really wasn't such a thing as an "admin" for the unit, the guests and owner would just share equal connectivity rights with the Slingbox. So in short, yes in your case the admin for the unit would have to disconnect their session in order to allow guests to connect. As for the reasoning behind this, I can't really comment as I'm just technical support and a forum moderator, and I wouldn't want to speculate.

aziron

Is there a way, since the box is not with me, that I can change myself to the admin to have first priority so to speak since I generally use it the most?  That way I can have priority.

Thanks

ferguspa Apprentice

A quick check with my 350 shows:

- The owner can kick off a guest

- A guest cannot kick off the owner

Don't know what happens if:

- A guest tries to kick off another guest

- An owner tries to kick off another owner (e.g. kick themselves off, although this would require everyone to know the owner's Sling ID and password)

I do know that I could kick off my "owner" account streaming from my 350 by connecting from my iPhone using the "owner" account.

Also, FWIW, there definitely was the concept of an "administrator" and a "viewing" password on the Slingbox AV.

ferguspa Apprentice

However to change the "owner" of the 350 I'd think you'd need to reset the 350 to factory settings and set it up while logged in under your Sling ID.