7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2015 6:39 PM by Broozer RSS

Two channel viewing?

jackoslam
    Visibility: Open to anyone

If the Slingbox Pro HD is not connected to a set-top box, but only uses the built-in TV tuner, can a remote viewer watch a different channel than that which the local viewer sees? In other words, if Katty watches Channel 2 in New York where the Slingbox is located, can I simultaneously, using the remote capability of the Slingbox, view New York's Channel 8 when I am out in California?

Also, please, what was the most advanced version of the Slingbox Pro HD?

• Re: Two channel viewing?
          alanrichey42 Master

Yes, provided Ch8 is available on your coax cable in New Yorkt.   For example, my cable company feeds ONLY encrypted signals down the coax and I cannot receive OTA broadcasts in my rural location so the coax input on my Pro-HD is unusable.

And there is no such thing as different versions of the pro-HD, all the enhancements are done in firmware and that will be updated automatically.

Thanks. Does your answer apply if only over-the-air broadcasts (not cable TV) are being used for the two channels?

Regarding different versions of Pro HD, are you saying that the SB-100 has the same capabilities as the SB-300?

alanrichey42 Master

Thanks. Does your answer apply if only over-the-air broadcasts (not cable TV) are being used for the two channels?

Just remember you are 'slinging' a TV Source (tuner)  to the remote location.   If the person at Location 1 changes the channel on the TV Source that is being watched by the person at Location 2 then they will be affected,   If the person at Location 2 is using a different TV source they will not be affected.   So in your case you have 2 TV sources, the cable box and the built-in tuner on the Pro-HD.   So if you are both watching cable you will have to watch the same channel, if one of you is using the coax input on the Slingbox you can watch different channels.

Regarding different versions of Pro HD, are you saying that the SB-100 has the same capabilities as the SB-300?

The SB-100 is NOT a Pro-HD , it is the original 'Classic' , a totally different machine.   And you need to be careful with those.  I still have 2 of them, both working well, but the built-in tuners are both analog and as the TV providers in both of the locations have gone all-digital, the tuners are useless.

jackoslam

Thanks. Good answer. Would you happen to know, please, which Pro HD models have a digital tuner (for ATSC broadcasts since no one broadcasts NTSC signals any more)?

And did I infer correctly that if we have no cable TV service, a remote California viewer (to whom the New York viewer slings an over-the-air signal) could only watch the same over-the-air broadcast that the New York viewer (next to the Slingbox) watches? Sorry to be dumb, but in this example how does the remote California viewer change the New York channels? Does the remote viewer log onto the New York Slingbox (as by entering an IP address in a browser and then entering a password)?

alanrichey42 Master

Would you happen to know, please, which Pro HD models have a digital tuner (for ATSC broadcasts since no one broadcasts NTSC signals any more)?

As far as I know the Pro-HD has both analog and digital tuners.   And as I said before, a Pro-HD is a Pro-HD, there are no 'models'  (Although to be technically correct there are 2 models, the USA one with ATSC & NTSC and the European one with a PAL Tuner)

And did I infer correctly that if we have no cable TV service, a remote California viewer (to whom the New York viewer slings an over-the-air signal) could only watch the same over-the-air broadcast that the New York viewer (next to the Slingbox) watches? Sorry to be dumb, but in this example how does the remote California viewer change the New York channels? Does the remote viewer log onto the New York Slingbox (as by entering an IP address in a browser and then entering a password)?

OK, you are way overcomplicating this,   Forget about the Slingbox as an entity and just think of TV tuners.   Obviously two people watching the same TV tuner have to watch the same channel, two people watching 2 different tuners can watch two channels.   So actually there is nothing to stop you dragging that old VCR down from the attic and plugging that into the composite input.  That way you have 2 tuners, one in the Slingbox and one in the VCR, so you can watch different channels

While the California viewer is connected to the Slingbox (remember only one person can watch a Slingbox at one time) he controls the TV Tuner in the Slingbox using a virtual remote on the laptop screen. As for access, it works the same as Netflix, you have an account with a login and password and when you login all the Slingboxes on that account appear in a list ready to be selected,

jackoslam

Thanks.

Broozer

I have a digital TV which has the HD Pro attached.

I was watching "channel 2.1" straight off of the TV OTA.  In my lap was a laptop and I was watching "channel 5.1" through the HD Pro's ATSC tuner.  No splitter of any kind.  I can change the TV to "channel 24.1" and IT DOES NOT EFFECT THE SLING STREAM.  I can change channels on the HD Pro from 5.1 to 36.1 and THE CHANNEL DOES NOT CHANGE ON THE TV.

Apparently, the ATSC/NTSC tuner in the HD Pro operates separately from that on the connected TV.

Note that this does not apply to non-OTA.  If I'm watching cable channel 115 on both the TV and the HD, and I change to cable channel 100 via the TV, the HD Pro display will change to 100, and vice versa.

Coax from the rooftop antenna goes directly to the antenna input on the HD Pro then out the coax pass-through to the TV.  Coax from the cable company goes directly into the set top box, then composite & S-video to the HD Pro, then out those pass-throughs to the TV

Add me to those disappointed at Sling Media's apparent "lack of regard" for over-the-air TV viewers.