6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2014 2:00 PM by danbromberg RSS

basic usage of Sling at 2 different residences

danbromberg
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I couldn't find any links at the Sling site regarding my following question, so forgive me if I just didn't look hard enough:

Is it true that if I have a cable-tv account at residence #1 that I can watch that same cable-tv account at residence #2 using Sling?

I'm not sure that it matters, but I do have a Roku3 at one residence and and a Roku stick at the other.

Thanks,

Dan

• Re: basic usage of Sling at 2 different residences

Thanks for your reply.

One followup question:  if I'm watching HBO on my residence #1 TV will my wife be able to watch HBO at my residence #2 TV at the same time?

If so, I'm surprised cable-tv companies would allow that.

alanrichey42 Master

Yes, that is the default way to operate.   And while it seems odd it is no different to you watching it in the bedroom on a different TV while you wife watches in the Living Room.   The Slingbox is simply an additional TV that happens to send its output down the internet rathwer than displayting it on a screen

danbromberg

But for me to watch in the bedroom while my wife watches in the living room

would require an extra  DVR box, so I'm surprised that this is

allowed at different residences. After all, people not as righteous as

myself could transmit HBO, etc... to various friends and family all over

the place, no?

However, I'm happy to take your word for it since this is good news to me!

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts,

Dan

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 5:19 PM, alanrichey42 <answers@slingmedia.com>

alanrichey42 Master
                        But for me to watch in the bedroom while my wife watches in the living room

would require an extra  DVR box,

Not if you were watching the same channel, which is what we were discussing.   But you are right, the Slingbox, like the bedroom TV would need it's own Cable Box if you wanted to watch different 'cable' channels'

After all, people not as righteous as myself could transmit HBO, etc... to various friends and family all over

the place, no?

Absolutely,.  But there is nothing wrong with that, you have paid to view HBO and you should not be constricted to where you watch it.  With the advent of so many mobile viewing solutions now coming on the market, soon everyone will be doing it.  I agree that giving your account details to friends is not really playing the game, but it's a bit like music streaming, this is going to happen whether the TV providers like it or not and they are going to have to figure out how to cope.  I was interested to see that Netflix have now accepted the inevitability, and in an effort to control it now officially allow you to give your account details to up to 5 people.  A very sensible move I think.

danbromberg

Well said - thanks very much for your thoughts.

I've been watching mu one Netflix account on my 2 Roku boxes at my 2

residences and was very surprised that it worked! I was well prepared that

they would somehow block me, but apparently not. Now I just hope that I can

as easily watch my Comcast premium channels at both residences. Their new

X1 Operating System suggests that can be done based on their commercials,

but I won't believe that until it works (in which case, Slingbox may be

redundant?). After all, seeing is still believing!

Thanks again.

Dan

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 8:42 AM, alanrichey42 <answers@slingmedia.com>