4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2014 11:18 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

My Slingbox 350 only works if I unplug the TV HDMI cable

howardhump
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I bought a new router and had to reconnect the slingbox to the network.  Although I get audio, I don't get any video.  I saw on the internet, someone had the same problem and they stated it only worked when they disconnected the HDMI cable from the back of the TV. I tried that and the video signal came back but once I plugged the HDMI cable, I received no video input.  Any suggestions as it worked fine before I switched my router

• Re: My Slingbox 350 only works if I unplug the TV HDMI cable
          alanrichey42 Master

I suspect your TV Provider has implemented HDCP, which disables the Component output if yoiu are using the HDMI.    The normal solution is to remove the HDMI cable and use the Component OUT from the Slingbox to drive the TV

howardhump

Thank you for your response.  I do believe Time Warner Cable has implemented either SOC or HDCP since I tried the slingbox on both Time Warner cable boxes and only get audio with the No Video Signal displaying.

I’m a bit confused by your statement of using the Component OUT from the Slingbox to drive the TV.

My current configuration is from Slingbox IN to the Time Warner Cable Box Out using component video cables.  We then have the separate Stereo audio’s using the same configuration.  From the Time Warner Cable Box we utilize Connect to the TV using HDMI.  The only time we get video is if we remove the HDMI cable.  ( a separate issue is we cannot find a comparable Time Warner Remote to change the channels but that is a separate problem).  Anyway,  I thought your suggestion was to use Component Cables from out to Slingbox and into TV removing the HDMI cable, however if we do that we don’t get any video on the TV.  I suspect I’m not understanding the configuration necessary to allow us to use Slingbox as well as utilize HDMI for our TV viewing.

Thanks again for your help and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Howard

howardhump

Thank you for your response.  I do believe Time Warner Cable has implemented either SOC or HDCP since I tried the slingbox on both Time Warner cable boxes and only get audio with the No Video Signal displaying.

I’m a bit confused by your statement of using the Component OUT from the Slingbox to drive the TV.

My current configuration is from Slingbox IN to the Time Warner Cable Box Out using component video cables.  We then have the separate Stereo audio’s using the same configuration.  From the Time Warner Cable Box we utilize Connect to the TV using HDMI.  The only time we get video is if we remove the HDMI cable.  ( a separate issue is we cannot find a comparable Time Warner Remote to change the channels but that is a separate problem).  Anyway,  I thought your suggestion was to use Component Cables from out to Slingbox and into TV removing the HDMI cable, however if we do that we don’t get any video on the TV.  I suspect I’m not understanding the configuration necessary to allow us to use Slingbox as well as utilize HDMI for our TV viewing.

Thanks again for your help and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Howard

alanrichey42 Master

I'm surprised you aren't getting a picture on the TV.  The video component plugs on the back of the Slingbox are just pass-through, so if a good signal is arriving at the Slingbox, it should continue through to the TV.   I assume you are selecting the right input on the TV ?

And the bottom line is that there is really no legal way of using the HDMI cable and the Slingbox.  After all, the whole purpose of the HDCP is to stop you doing that   There are boxes on the market that will strip out the HDCP signal, but as I say, these aren't strictly legal,.