19 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2014 3:46 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Tivo Roamio and remote issues

kcz88
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Just switched from Tivo Premiere to Roamio Pro and cannot get my remote to work.  I have tried set up with numerous configurations, nothing is working, any suggestions?

• Re: Tivo Roamio and remote issues
          alanrichey42 Master

Have you redone the "Reconfigure Input" routine to tell it about the new box ?

wseve2

Hi, was reading your post and I downloaded the bin file for the Roamio Pro and tried it.   I actually have the Roamio not Plus or Pro.  I originally had the Slingbox 350 hooked to a series 2 tivo and then the series 2 was having problems transferring to the Roamio PVR and so I bought a 2nd Roamio and now they both work seamlessly together.  At first when I changed from the Series 2 tivo to the Roamio I was able to get it setup and working using the Tivo Premiere bin file off slingbox files.  I use the slingbox for my daughter who lives in Florida (I'm in texas)   to be able to have cable Tv.  Otherwise whe only has Hulu.  she had been complaining on the slingbox not working correctly and I thought it was probably poor internet.  She came home for christmas and brought her computer and it's a slingbox.  Still get the feed but doesn't control at all.  I finally got your bin file to load under the custom routine but still wouldn't work.  Can you help.  thanks WS

wseve2

I'm trying to have the Slingbox 350 control the Tivo Roamio.  The Slingbox Roamio file doesn't work and actually they have the buttons at the top of the remote grayed out.  I'ts trying to work.  by that I mean that when you press a button you see it try to do something but it does nothing.  I tried the custom bin routine and used the V2010_PL bin file that you had in a post and it was suposed to be for a Roamio Pro. I have just the Roamio not Pro or Plus.  I finally got it to load so I could see it on the screen but it didn't do anything.  Do I have to configure the buttons somehow or is it just load it.  Of course it gives an error message as you commented on in another post.  What other info can I provide for you.

alanrichey42 Master

I'm trying to have the Slingbox 350 control the Tivo Roamio. 

OK

I'ts trying to work.  by that I mean that when you press a button you see it try to do something but it does nothing.

Not relevant. That happens whatever remote is loaded, it is Slingplayer taking time out to send the signal.

Of course it gives an error message as you commented on in another post.  What other info can I provide for you.

Exactly what I asked for the instructions.   I asked you to read them but you obviously haven't, so let me reproduce them here:

If you have any problems installing these files please do NOT just report back it ‘doesn’t work’, that is totally useless for someone trying to understand what is going on.  So please report all of the following:

1.   What model Slingbox do you have?

2.   Was there any error message after you typed in the Code and tapped the Test button?

3.   Did you give the commands plenty of time to react?  (I have a DVR that takes about 6-8 seconds to power up/down)

4.   If you are using a Solo did you try both BIN files?

5.   After completing the setup do any of the buttons work?

6.   If you are installing on a Solo or Pro-HD or older box that uses an external IR Blaster, have you used a Digital Camera or Mobile Phone Camera to confirm the IR Blaster is actually firing when you tap the Power button?  (Watch the tip of the IR Blaster through the viewfinder while you tap a button.  You should see a white (not red) flash.  Test it on a real remote so you know what you are looking for).  If you are using a 350/500 have you tried using the external blaster?

7.   Have you experimented with the placement of the IR Blaster?  On some devices this is critical so don’t give up too quickly.  Try shining a flashlight at the front of the receiver and see if you can see the IR receiver behind the smoked glass.

8.   Are you sure the device is working correctly using the real remote?

So far you have answered Q1 & Q5.   For Q2 you said you get an error but don't tell me what it is so I haven't got a clue what happened.  Q4 is irrelevant, and you have ignored Q6, Q7 & Q8

Well ?

wseve2

Thanks for making me answer all your questions.  I found the problem.  Longstory shortened.

Been doing remodeling in the house and slingbox and the tivo unit that is dedicated to the daughter who lives in florida keep getting moved from room to room.  It's in the 3rd location now and presently wasn't located close enough to the Roamio unit for the internal IR blaster to send a strong enough signal.  I started thinking about it and re-watched the setup video from sling box and they mentioned the internal IR blaster and I realized it was being blocked.  It is now sitting right beside like it had been in the other 2 rooms and works fine now.  Yee Haw.

To: Wayne Severns <wseverns@yahoo.com>

Sent: Monday, December 29, 2014 8:52 PM

Subject: Re:  - Tivo Roamio and remote issues

Tivo Roamio and remote issues

reply from alanrichey42 in KC Zelker - View the full discussion

I'm trying to have the Slingbox 350 control the Tivo Roamio. 

OK

I'ts trying to work.  by that I mean that when you press a button you see it try to do something but it does nothing.

Not relevant. That happens whatever remote is loaded, it is Slingplayer taking time out to send the signal.

Of course it gives an error message as you commented on in another post.  What other info can I provide for you.

Exactly what I asked for the instructions.   I asked you to read them but you obviously haven't, so let me reproduce them here: If you have any problems installing these files please do NOT just report back it ‘doesn’t work’, that is totally useless for someone trying to understand what is going on.  So please report all of the following:  1.   What model Slingbox do you have?2.   Was there any error message after you typed in the Code and tapped the Test button?3.   Did you give the commands plenty of time to react?  (I have a DVR that takes about 6-8 seconds to power up/down)4.   If you are using a Solo did you try both BIN files?5.   After completing the setup do any of the buttons work?6.   If you are installing on a Solo or Pro-HD or older box that uses an external IR Blaster, have you used a Digital Camera or Mobile Phone Camera to confirm the IR Blaster is actually firing when you tap the Power button?  (Watch the tip of the IR Blaster through the viewfinder while you tap a button.  You should see a white (not red) flash.  Test it on a real remote so you know what you are looking for).  If you are using a 350/500 have you tried using the external blaster?7.   Have you experimented with the placement of the IR Blaster?  On some devices this is critical so don’t give up too quickly.  Try shining a flashlight at the front of the receiver and see if you can see the IR receiver behind the smoked glass.8.   Are you sure the device is working correctly using the real remote?

So far you have answered Q1 & Q5.   For Q2 you said you get an error but don't tell me what it is so I haven't got a clue what happened.  Q4 is irrelevant, and you have ignored Q6, Q7 & Q8

Well ?

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Following Tivo Roamio and remote issues in these streams: Inbox

wseve2

OK so,  I did get it to load without any error message but still didn't work. 

Yes I feel I am giving it plenty of time.  I'm familiar with Crestron or AMX control systems and am always telling clients the same thing.

I have noticed that the mute button works on all that I have tried but that is the only function that works

I am not using  a IR blaster because it's a Tivo Roamio and it's apparently all being done over the cat5.  Have never used the IR on the slingbox.  So no I haven't tried the external blaster yet.  Never needed it before.  Makes me wonder if the new firmware or updates that include the commercials they make you watch now screwed that up.  shouldn't have.

Yes the Tivo hand held remote works fine when changing functions on the Roamio.  I can see the light being emmitted from the Remote.  but a note for this remote is that it does IR & RF.  It has a amber LED and red LED but not both at the same time.  When using it in range of the Tivo roamio unit the light is amber.  If I walk out of range it changes to red.  I believe the amber is RF because if go just outside the room I can still change the channel which means it's RF not IR which would need to be line of sight.  So the question maybe becomes how do I know if the sling box is sending an the right kind of code.  I worked before so maybe that is not the problem I'm having.  what else can I tell you?