2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2014 6:20 PM by ferguspa RSS

Using Slingbox M1 with Mac OS 10.6.8 - Password?

BigW
    Visibility: Open to anyone

After the power supply on my classic slingbox finally gave up the ghost again, I upgraded to an M1.  Setup on most of my computers was a breeze and it is nice to finally get full HD, at least on the home network. 

However, there is one computer I'd like to use the new slingbox with.  It is an old MacbookPro, still running 10.6.8.   The new sling software requires a more modern operating system, so I am stuck trying to use the older software.  I realize that is sketchy, but I have been using the original slingbox for years on iPad, iPhone etc. even though it was "not recommended" so I imagine it can be made to work, even if that configuration is not supported, it isn't full HD or whatever.

The old software seems to connect just fine and see the slingbox.  However, it wants a password to log into the new M1 and is not taking the default password of "admin".

I don't see any way to either find out what the password to my new M1 is or change it to something else.

In theory, the Macbook could be upgraded, but it is so old I really don't want to do that, I am sure it would slow down to the point of being rendered useless.  It still works for light web surfing and, until now, watching the slingbox.  It is mostly out to pasture, but not dead yet. 

I also have a slingcatcher up at my cabin and I imagine I am going to have the same problem with it if I can't provide a password.

Thanks for the help!

• Re: Using Slingbox M1 with Mac OS 10.6.8 - Password?
          ferguspa Apprentice

Slingbox 350, 500 (Sling TV), and M1 require authentication through Sling Inc's website (via a Sling Account).  They no longer accept direct authentication.

To set up a Slingbox M1, you'll need Slingplayer Desktop for Mac (note this is different than the "SlingPlayer for Mac" you currently have), which likely requires OS X 10.8 or newer, or Slingplayer for iPhone, iPad, or Android phone.

To view a Slingbox M1, you'll need Slingplayer Desktop for Mac (again different than the "SlingPlayer for Mac" you currently have) or Slingplayer for iPhone, iPad, or Android phone.  Slingplayer Embedded might work to view a Slingbox M1 once the Slingbox is set up, maybe.

There's a wild chance that Slingplayer Desktop for Mac works on Mac OS X 10.6, but it's not likely.  Your Slingcatcher will definitely not work with the M1.

• Re: Using Slingbox M1 with Mac OS 10.6.8 - Password?
            ferguspa Apprentice

Ok, I missed the part where you said you had it set up already--thought that still was in question.  Try Slingplayer Embedded, it might work, and your Slingcatcher won't work.