8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2014 5:18 AM by ACC5535076 RSS

My Slingbox being used by someone else error

ACC5535076
    Visibility: Open to anyone

When I went to login to slingbox, I got a message that says "My Slingbox is being used by someone else. Would you like to disconnect them?" This is strange, because no one else knows my password. Anyway, I answer "Yes", and I get an error message that says "Current box is not initialised." When I click "OK" in the message box (there are no other options), my system then shows "Connecting to My Slingbox", along with the moving circle that signifies that it is connecting. However, after many minutes of waiting, I am still not connected. So, I click on cancel, and start over. I've gone through this several times with the same results. Any thoughts?? Thx. Mark

• Re: My Slingbox being used by someone else error
          alanrichey42 Master

I assume you have done a reset ?

ACC5535076

Thank you for your reply. No I haven't. The Slingbox is several states away. Could that be it? Strange that it is telling me that someone else is using it. I haven't even used it for a week.

alanrichey42 Master

Strange that it is telling me that someone else is using it. I haven't even used it for a week.

Not really, it's actually you.   Because you are getting part of the way through the connection process you have passed the point at which the Slingbox thinks it has been connected to.   When the final process fails, it does not clear that notification.   So next time you try it thinks it is still connected. 

Afraid a reset is all I can recommend.   Basically Slingboxes are computers, and as we know, computers often need to be regularly rebooted.......

ACC5535076

Thanks again for your support! FYI, I had my wife do the reset back at home. This resulted in solving the original error messages, but I still couldn't connect remotely. The error message I got listed possible issues with a "learn more" link that ended in a 404 error. I asked my wife to look at the Slingbox 500 box again, and the network light was not lit. So, I decided that before I started having her mess with the router, to just unplug the Slingbox and let it re-initialize. And that did it! I am now good to go.

Thanks again for taking the time to give me the beneifit of your experience.

Mark

alanrichey42 Master

Good, glad you sorted it.   That's a good point you make about the 404 error.   Sling have moved a lot of their KB pages and broken quite a lot of the links.

Moderators:  Could you note that and get it fixed ?

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hi Al,

What page were you looking for? Is there a particular page that you feel has gone missing?

-Matt

alanrichey42 Master

As Mark says, if you get a connection error in the web browser it gives you a link to a checklist of reasons.   I noticed some time ago that still points at the old location of the page not the new one but forgot to make a note of the details.    Unfortunately I can't remember how to reproduce it.   Maybe Mark can ?

ACC5535076

Sorry, I can't repeat it since my system is working now. However, it is the message you get when you can't connect to your Slingbox from a remote location. The message provides a list of possible issues (Slingbox off, Slingbox updating, internet connection at the Slingbox end not working, etc.). At the end of the message, there is a "learn more" link, which when clicked on results in a 404 error. Hope this helps, and thanks again for your help, Mark

From: alanrichey42 <answers@slingmedia.com>

To: Mark Kincy <markkincy@yahoo.com>

Sent: Monday, November 24, 2014 12:53 PM

Subject: Re:  - My Slingbox being used by someone else error

My Slingbox being used by someone else error

reply from alanrichey42 in Mark Kincy - View the full discussionAs Mark says, if you get a connection error in the web browser it gives you a link to a checklist of reasons.   I noticed some time ago that still points at the old location of the page not the new one but forgot to make a note of the details.    Unfortunately I can't remember how to reproduce it.   Maybe Mark can ?

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in Mark Kincy by email or at Slingbox Answers Forum

Following My Slingbox being used by someone else error in these streams: Inbox