1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 8, 2014 11:31 AM by cody.sling RSS

Solo + iOS 5 -> iOS8

mcbdmk

I've been happily using a Slingbox Solo for four years with an iPad 2 and SlingPlayer 2.4.4.  SlingPlayer keeps prompting me to upgrade the app to v.3, but that would require iOS 7, and I prefer to leave working stuff working.  However, I have a Roku 3, and I would love to be able to use SlingPlayer with it, but that requires SlingPlayer v.3, and... see above.

I figure I need a new iPad (doesn't everyone ) that runs iOS 8 and could run SlingPlayer v.3.  I'm looking for an upgrade path that will allow me to:

- keep my iPad 2 and its SlingPlayer version

- keep my new iPad and its SlingPlayer version

Ideally I would like not to have to buy a new version of the app, because I can't upgrade my current version on the device I've got.

So,

- Is there an alternative to buying a new iPad and new version of the SlingPlayer app?

- If I do buy new, can I avoid having iTunes delete the app version I've got,  and that I want to continue to use with my iPad 2, if I use the same iTunes account?

One last thing.  Many recent reviews of the SlingPlayer app v3.3 for iPad are very negative.  Should I be worried?

Thanks

Dave Kristol

• Re: Solo + iOS 5 -> iOS8
          cody.sling Novice

Hi David Kristol,

Thank you for posting to the Community. Hopefully the answers I have for you will satisfy your questions.

Q: Is there an alternative to buying a new iPad and new version of the SlingPlayer app?

A: Yes and no. If you purchase a new iPad, you can log into the iTunes account and download the SlingPlayer app to the new iPad without having to purchase it again. However, it will automatically update to the latest version of the SlingPlayer app.

So, if you purchase a new iPad and download the SlingPlayer app from your iTunes account, you will be able to use the Slingbox with the Roku 3, however it will have to be the latest version and you will not be able to use the version that you currently have on the old iPad, besides on the old iPad.

Hope this helps,

Cody

Sling Media Moderation Team