12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2010 1:20 PM by eferz RSS

Is full screen possible on Nexus one?

lifo

No matter how I play with the aspect ratio it doesnt go full screen.

• Re: Is full screen possible on Nexus one?
          eferz Expert

You'd have to play with the aspect ratio from the Slingplayer and/or your set-top box (if it has one).  That's because there's a mismatch in aspect ratios between the video format coming from your set-top box and the actual device displaying it.

(http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000195.html)*

(http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000054.html)

*These articles have not been updated to reflect all devices, but the basic premise is the same.

lifo

Something is still not right as standard 4:3 is a very small box in the middle of the screen. No matter if I change it on TV or sling mobile it wont go to the edges

eferz Expert

Sounds like you have the aspect ratio set to Window Box.

lifo

I have compared my wife's iphone next to the android on the same slingbox and the iphone version fills the screen as expected. Not a set top box issue. No matter what aspect ratio is chosen none of the settings look right. In 4:3 mode there are bars on bottom.

Other users are having the same issue. Sling has a bug here

eferz Expert

There's no way your wife's iPhone is completely filling up the screen.  There's going to be blackbars somewhere on the screen. It is mathamatically impossible since the iPhone's aspect ratio (3:2) is different than television's standard defintion (4:3) or high definition (16:9) aspect ratios.

The Slingbox has strict resolutions which it encodes when the Slingplayer Mobile for iPhone is connected.  It is 320x240 with the "High Quality" option, and with "Standard Quality" option its at 256x192.

Mobile Photo Jun 27, 2010 4 05 24 PM.jpg

So, to prove that, I used screenshots of my iPhone watching USA (SD 4:3) and USA-HD (16:9) and I manually switched between the different aspects available to the iPhone (standard, letterbox, and stretch).

aspect-ratio.jpg

Here's a key to the screenshot above

SD (4:3) with Standard AspectHD (16:9) with Standard Aspect
                          SD (4:3) with Letterbox AspectHD (16:9) with Letterbox Aspect
                          SD (4:3) with Stretch AspectHD (16:9) with Stretch Aspect

I also provided the above screenshot as an attachement, in case the forum shrinks the display preventing you to see the white space which seperates each screenshot.

lifo

I didnt say my wife's iphone filled the entire screen I said it filled the screen as expected.

None of the scenarios on the Nexus One allow the screen to fill the screen vertically. I can on my iphone however

eferz Expert

All Slingboxes have 11 fixed encoding resolutions, the Slingbox Pro-HD has 5 more.  The Slingplayer Mobile for iPhone will instruct the Slingbox to use #1 or #11 depending on the high / standard quality is chosen.

1=320 x 240 (QVGA)
                                  2=160 x 120 (Tiny)
                                  3=352 x 240
                                  4=176 x 120
                                  5=640 x 480 (VGA)
                                  6=640 x 240 (HVGA)
                                  7=320 x 480
                                  8=128 x 096
                                  9=224 x 176
                                  10=448 x 240
                                  11=256 x 192 (Tiny)
                                  12=1280 x 720 (HD)*
                                  13=1440 x 544 (HD)*
                                  14=1680 x 544 (HD)*
                                  15=1920 x 544 (HD)*
                                  16=1920 x 1080 (HD)*

*Only on Pro

I'm not sure which modes are available for Slingplayer Mobile for Andriod.  However, I believe that you're not able to get more use of the picture because of the specific resolution of the Nexus One's screen.  Since there isn't a "stretch" feature like you see in pre-encoded streams like from youTube or Revision3, Vimeo, or any of the other prerecorded streaming video sites.

eferz Expert

Isn't this the Nexus One

lifo

Thats it. I can not achieve that on my Nexus

eferz Expert

Okay, I might have figured it out.  Started thinking about your wife, and how her iPhone is also able to get a full(er)  screen.  Then I was wondering how the person on the video is able to get full(er) screen that you weren't able to achieve.  This lead me to ponder about the different possibilities between your device and their devices.  At first, I started thinking the problem had to be with your phone.  Then I thought maybe it was the input, so I perform a little test on my setup.

I normally don't use the composite inputs with my DVR because they're   connected from my DVD jukebox to the Slingbox Pro-HD.  And normally stick to HD channels when I watch   TV on the Slingbox anyways.  So to sate my   curiosity, I decided to reconfigure my video inputs and conntect the   composite inputs into my DVR.  Here are my results...

aspect-ratio-composite.jpg

Here's a key to the screenshot above

SD (4:3) with Standard AspectHD (16:9) with Standard Aspect
                                          SD (4:3) with Letterbox AspectHD (16:9) with Letterbox Aspect
                                          SD (4:3) with Stretch AspectHD (16:9) with Stretch Aspect

This set of screenshots still juxtapose the different aspect ratios on TNT (standard channel) and TNT-HD (high definition) channels my previous one.  However, I believe through these screenshots that I have been able to duplicate to duplicate your experience.  The difference with this set of screenshots is that it was taken using the Composite Video  Source.  Whereas, the earlier screenshots were taken while using the Component Video Source.

So, you might consider watching SD channels through the composite input, and watch HD channels through the component inputs.