10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2014 3:57 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Does Slingbox viewing within home use internet?

seattlesawdust
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Hello - a simple question I hope. I have a SB500 and my need is simply to serve the video signal to a computer in the house. My SB is directly connected to a wireless router/wired switch via cable. A Mac is connected to the same switch via cable. Both devices receive their IPs from the router and are on the same subnet (private IP range).

My experience is that I get W200 or W202 errors after 30-60 minutes when using the Mac to view content, either SD or HD channels. The wired network in the house is certainly fast enough to support SD or HD video, but my internet connection is poor (Centurylink ADSL with actual speeds of ~5000Kb up/600-700Kb down). Is my in-house video getting piped out/back in through my internet connection? Per the info I was shown at the end of the install, I am going to newwatch.slingbox.com in order to open the viewer on the Mac. That certainly implies the internet connection is involved, but - how else can I view the content from within the house?

Garth

• Re: Does Slingbox viewing within home use internet?
          ACC6220569

I wonder about the same thing, but when I am looking at the connection and streaming rate via browser player or mac desktop player it seems fast enough to be going internally. Also when I am on my home wifi it says (internal network) under my slingbox on my devices.

My issue with the mac is I can't control anything off the computer when using an Apple Airport Extreme router and connecting via my 5Ghz Network but if I switch to 2Ghz I have full access. But on my iPad or my old Android Galaxy Note 3 never an issue on 5Ghz internally.

Im sure you can find something to temporarily monitor bandwidth to test the theory of whether its going outside and back in, but either way I think for current technology and whats available those DSL rates are slower than my LTE on my iPhone in congested NYC areas. Even for non-sling purposes I'd try to explore options if possible.

seattlesawdust

And the answer for others, from SB support is: all SB products require that the video feed be streamed across the internet. There is no option to use home network exclusively to support the streaming. So you are required to have internet speed - up and down - of 600Kb/s for SD and 2Mb/s for HD. And - although the listed SlingPlayer for Mac is a new version different from 'SlingPlayer for Mac - Legacy' listed in the KB, and will *in most cases* work with the SB500 - it does not offer any different features or avoid the 'through the internet' streaming.

alanrichey42 Master

I would suggest that SB support are talking rubbish    Although I agree that you need to be connected to the internet for the initial handshaking with the Sling servers, and the retrieval and display of the slingbox directory/listing, once you start streaming on the LAN, i.e. your laptop is on the same network as the Slingbox, then the video stream does not go over the Internet so upload/download speeds are irrelevant.   I have to admit I don't know if the same applies to 'connected' devices (Apple TV, WDTV....), they may work differently.

seattlesawdust

Well... what I have to go on is what SB tech support tells me, and their KB. There is scant documentation for this product. What I see from experience is that my streaming fails after a variable amount of time. I'm using a WAP with 100Mb wired switch ports and using the wired connections, so wireless flakiness is not an issue. I've had no problems in several years of using this WAP/switch in wired mode. I suppose I could suspect that a previously unused, now used port is defective, but ... seems a more likely explanation is that the vendor tech support knows what they're talking about. Sure, call me an optimist.

alanrichey42 Master

but ... seems a more likely explanation is that the vendor tech support knows what they're talking about. Sure, call me an optimist.

Fair enough, although I think I know more than the support line after working with Slingboxes from their inception and while many of the support staff were still at school.   Be interested to know what article in the KB tells you that streaming over a LAN requires internet?.  Meanwhile I'll let the moderators 'moderate' for you

seattlesawdust

There's really an *absence* of detail in KB or product documentation of how the SB works, so I'm left with relying on vendor information to explain why I have service that drops the feed. This page identifies the bandwidth recommendations (treated as requirements in my chat with tech support).

alanrichey42 Master

Those figures are mainly for remote viewing.  It still applies for local viewing but as you are not using the internet, simply your own WiFi, then it's a bit academic as Wifi speeds are way above that.

There's really an *absence* of detail in KB or product documentation of how the SB works, so I'm left with relying on vendor information to explain why I have service that drops the feed

Or you could rely on 'geeks' who actually understand how the system works  

seattlesawdust

Well, I'm happy to hear your input. To clarify on my configuration, I'm using a SB500 wired directly to a WAP with switch ports. The Mac is running OS X 10.10 and directly connected to the same port. No wireless. Both the SB500 and the Mac use the DHCP service on the WAP and are on the same subnet. I'm using the browser interface newwatch.slingbox.com on the Mac to watch tv or control the dvr. I see W200 or W202 errors after a relatively short period of viewing (under 30 minutes). It's hard for me to imagine that the browser interface is going to be able to resolve the private IP of the SB500 and connect directly to it rather than routing the traffic through the slingbox.com domain.

What do you think is the cause of the W200/W202 errors?

alanrichey42 Master

Afraid I exaggerated when I said I know how it works.  What I should have said is that I understand the principle of how it should work from a users perspective    What the internal error codes mean are a mystery I'm afraid.   And I can tell you from experience the moderators of this forum don't know either.

Interesting if it happens all the time after about 30 minutes.  I wonder if it down to your router that 'leases' the DHCP IP address to the devices for a limited time and then drops them.   What should happen with most routers is when the leases runs out it should just check the device is still there and then reallocate the same address.   But again I am straying into unknown territory for me just thinking out loud.