6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2010 5:56 AM by rrobrrod14 RSS

please help, Blinking Network Light

rrobrrod14

Ok, I just got Slingbox Pro HD as a birthday present, 2 days ago. It doesn't come with a cd so i followed the manual to the "T". However when i powered it up the network light just blinks constantly (I never get a solid Network Light). I take the Ethernet out of the sling box and plug it into my computer and it gets an IP address and connects to the internet just fine. I have tried resetting the slingbox pro several times. I have even tried skipping the router itself and connecting straight to the modem but still only get a blinking Network light. As i said this is brand new out the box. I went back to BBY and exchanged it for another one and i am getting the exact same results. I downloaded the desktop software from slingmedia and of course when trying to connect, it says can't find your slingbox on the network. Can anyone help me? Is there any way to manually connect to the slingbox and maybe give it an Ip address? I tried connecting the ethernet to my computer and the slingbox itself but that wouldn't let me access the slingbox either. Again i bout it 6/22/2010 is there a firmware update i need to get first for it to get an ip address? This really has me stumped and don't know how to get around this.

• Re: please help, Blinking Network Light
          rrobrrod14

Also the router i have is a Linksys WRT610N

eferz Expert

I'm not sure how you have your network setup.  But, the Slingbox relies on your DHCP server to get an IP address before any configuration is necessary.  You might want to check your router and see if there are enough IP address available.

I noticed that you connected the Ethernet cable from the Slingbox to your computer and it got an IP address.  That could mean that your computer still has an active lease on a particular IP address, or that there's an IP address reservation.  So, you might want to check to see how many addresses are available in your pool and compare it to the active leases.

Otherwise, you might consider checking if the firmware is up to date for your router.  It could just be a minor bug with the DHCP server causing the incompatibility.  I did a Google Search in regards to your router (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=WRT610N+dhcp) and noticed that several people had DHCP assignment issues.

Worse case scenario, is to use a different router / dhcp server to get an IP address, so that you can assign a static IP address to the Slingbox that will work in your own subnet.

rrobrrod14

My network is just: ISP: Cox, i have a modem going to my wireless router and i have the sling box connected directly to the router. When i connect my sling box to my computer i get the same flashing network light i get when i connect my slingbox to my router.

When i connect my computer to my router (and turn off the wireless) i get an ip address, on my computer, and connects to internet perfectly fine.

At first I was only allowing 15 users ip address through the (router) DCHP. I changed it to allow 50 users just in case i didn't have enough ip address available as you mentioned. Was still getting the same result, Blinking network light.

I will check the firmware on the router when i get home and see if there is an update. If so i will push that to the router and see if that fixes anything.

Can you please explain to me how you assign a Static Ip Address to the Slingbox. From how things are going so far i don't see a way to interact with the slingbox since it isn't on the network and connecting it to a computer with an ethernet doesn't let me talk to it since i don't know the default IP like u do a router. Is there software that i need or something?

Thanks for responding

eferz Expert

rrobrrod14 wrote:

When i connect my sling box to my computer i get the same flashing network light i get when i connect my slingbox to my router.

Most people don't run a DHCP server on their computers, so that probably wouldn't work.

Can you please explain to me how you assign a Static Ip Address to the Slingbox. From how things are going so far i don't see a way to interact with the slingbox since it isn't on the network and connecting it to a computer with an ethernet doesn't let me talk to it since i don't know the default IP like u do a router. Is there software that i need or something?

You can set a static IP address on the Slingbox using the Slingplayer Setup Assistant.  However, the Slingbox will need to be able to aquire an address before the Slingplayer will be able to communicate with it.