12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2010 3:38 PM by macrowder RSS

slingplayer works on evo in 3g but not 4g or wifi away from home

jfischbein

D/L slingplayer and it works great on 3g.  When I turn 4g on (and yes I live in a 4g town) it can't find slingbox or on wifi outside of my house.

Cant figure it out

• Re: slingplayer works on evo in 3g but not 4g or wifi away from home
          rieskame

I am having kinda the same problem with my Incredible. Works better than I ever thought it would on 3g but if I enable wifi inside my house it cant find a connection. Spent an hour with slingbox tech and they couldnt help. Just said to make another directory using the ip address from the main slingbox selection. 

Jaypoc

Rieskame...

When you enable your WiFi, you are on the same network as your Slingbox. If you're going through Sling media's connection service, they're probably directing you to your "public" IP address which is not reachable from inside your network. My router does the same thing. If I am inside my network, I can not browse to my public IP and take advantage of the port fowards and other settings.

You can try creating a second connection manually and specify your Slingbox's internal IP (usually 192.168.x.x) address and Port (try 5001) manually. You should be able to get the IP address by logging into your router's interface and checking it's DHCP lease log.

When on someone else's WiFi, the Slingbox connection should work and when on your own wifi, the manual connection should work.

Give that a try.

As for not working on 4G when it does work on 3G, sounds like a routing or DNS issue on the provider's side. Any IP address should be routable to any other unless the 4G doesn't use IPV4 (which I doubt!). It could be proxied however.

macrowder

Jaypoc, your comment may be the answer to my problem I posted here (https://community.sling.com/message/21117#21117), you can call me a noob, but I am not sure I understand what you are saying. How do I know if I am using Sling's Media Connection Service?  I already have Port 5001 forwarded to my Slingbox internal IP 192.168.1.xxx, which I did as part of the remote viewing setup process.

I would appreciate any help you (or anyone else) can provide in resolving my issues.

Thank you in advance!

Jaypoc

When the SlingPlayer mobile is "Locating" your slingbox, it is using their Media Connection service. There's an option to manually enter the slingbox's internet address in the desktop client, though I don't see the option in the mobile client.

To try to explain how the networking affects the slingbox and player, here's what happens when you have a router setup and how it will affect the slingPlayer. The numbers I used are ficticious and made up off the top of my head (though may be similar to actual addresses). There's exceptions and flaws to my scenario, but for all intensive purposes, this should explain in the most basic way what's going on.

- - -

Your router has two Internet addresses. One facing the Inside of your network called the Gateway address (192.168.1.1) which can only be seen from inside of the router. The other one is on the outside which was given to you by your Internet provider and is visible to the world (24.123.234.34).

All computers connected to the router are given private Internet addresses which can only be reached from inside the router's network. For this example your PC (or mobile device) will be 192.168.1.2 and your SlingBox will be 192.168.1.3. Other computers, printers or devices will have addresses where each section of the address can be a number from 0 to 255.

Once set up, your SlingBox periodically calls home to www.sling.com and says, "Hey, This is me. I'm behind port 5001 at this address. If anyone asks where I am, give them this port and address". The IP address that Sling.com now knows is 24.123.234.34 and thats the number placed in their directory even though your SlingBox is on a private IP address of 192.168.1.3.

If someone on the Internet (or from a mobile device) goes to port 5001 at 24.123.234.34, then they will reach your router. If the router is set to forward the request to port 5001 on the PC inside at address 192.168.1.3 then they will be connected to your slingbox.

If someone on the inside of your network (on WiFi or Wired) tries to go to port 5001 at 24.123.234.34, they will get to the router since that's it's address, but the inside-portion of the router doesn't know to forward back to the slingbox. Only the outside facing part does, so that request will fail and never reach your slingbox.

If someone on the inside of your network tries port 5001 at 192.168.1.3 then they will successfully reach your slingbox, since that is the address directly assigned to it and the "video" service is running on port 5001. (When running a server, the admin or programmer can specify what port number it runs on.)

So you can hopefully see from these three examples how you would need 2 different settings in order to connect to your slingbox. One for when you're inside your network, and one for when you're on the public Internet (or on the outside of your router).

If I was unclear or confusing about anything let me know and i'll try my best to explain it.

macrowder

Thanks Jaypoc for your reply.  I think I have a better understanding of what is taking place behind the scenes; however, unfortunately I don't think it is the answer to my problem, as I am able to connect my Android phone to the Slingbox while on the local network.  My issue is the stream is very choppy and not at all watchable.

Thanks again for your willingness to help.

Jaypoc

Choppiness or buffering over the local network (wired or wireless) shouldn't really occur. The router does have a capacity for how much data it can push through it at one time. Perhaps other PC's or applications are using too much available bandwidth?

Does the issue happen on a PC with the desktop client as well or just the phone?

Try turning off all other PC's, Video Game systems, Internet enabled devices so only the Sling and Phone are using the router. If you have wireless, make sure that you have security turned on (so your neighbors arent piggybacking on your connection)

macrowder

I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but thank you for the help.

As you instructed, I disconnected all wired devices from the router and turned off all wifi devices (other than the Slingbox and my phone).  Also, my router is already setup with WPA 2 encryption.

I tested the stream again on my phone with no change in the result.       I can stream to the desktop client or the web viewer without any difficulty.

As I stated in my original comment, the upload speed of my network drops to .10 mbps as soon as the stream starts and returns to over 4 mbps as soon as I disconnect the Sling player on my phone.

Any other ideas for me?  I am out of the free support window and would prefer to save my $30.

Thanks again!

eferz Expert

jfischbein, your symptoms are usually  indicative of not having both TCP and UDP ports forwarded of your  Slingbox.

Just  go back into your router and make sure that you have setup a port  forwarding rules for your Slingbox for both TCP and UDP protocols.

(http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-005571.html)

Apprentice

Hi, jfischbein.

Thank you for participating in the Slingbox Answers Forum!

Just checking, we would like to know if the information provided here was helpful or if the issue persisted. Let us know about your results.

Thanks.

Regards,
                          The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team.