9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2016 4:01 PM by RSS

Account Hacked?

jlts1
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I have a Slingbox Pro HD.  A few weeks ago someone accessed it without my knowledge.  I changed my password.  Again, tonight, it was accessed again.  No one else has my credentials.  what is going on ???And more importantly, what can I do about this?

• Re: Account Hacked?
          alanrichey42 Master

How do you know it was accessed ?   If it was simply the message "Another user is watching this Slingbox" then it probably means that the system did not properly disconnect from the Slingbox last time you watched it.

It was hacked because at about midnight I heard and saw the Tivo that it was connected to, changing channels on my TV.  I have NOT conected to the Slingbox for several days before that.I know it was accessed because the connection activity light on the Slingbox itself also was showing connectivity. This happened about two months ago alos and I changed my password at that time thinking my problems would be solved.

Yea, mine was hacked too. Called Sling tech support and they said there was no way someone could get into the box without user ID and password. Well I of course changed my password and in a few min, they were back in. It was like fighting someone with another Tivo remote. They really wanted to watch the NCAA 2015 basketball games.

Does anyone know how this can happen?  Can it be stopped? I've unpluged the Sling for now, but need it next weekend.

tivoboy

Did you ever get a response to this?  I had the same thing happen this morning, not sure who/how/what.  So, I did change the account settings and password, but it would appear that if someone is ALREADY LOGGED into the account, they can just keep hitting the box without a need to re-authenticate.

I changed my password, but for example my iphone/android apps were already logged into the account, and they could connect directly to the slingboxes without any need for new authentication (this is a security FAIL IMHO on the part of sling)

Not sure what else one could do other than maybe take the boxes OUT of the account and adding them back again?

tivoboy

yeah, never got a quality response from sling.. said that people could remain "logged in" as long as they didn't LOG OUT, changing the password made no difference

shuhead24

Yep just got hacked also...tried to put a new password 16, 20, and 32 characters...apparently that's too long for Sling.   What is this 1999?

I know this is an old thread, but I recently posted about this same issue. So far I've received no help from Sling or on the forum. Doesn't seem like there is a go-to solution for this and it's surprising how little they care about account security.